O2.

Braving The Wild

Their first 30 minutes as buddies wasn’t as fine as Jinyoung wanted it to be. Basically, Mark was taking the lead and walking like he’s all alone while the younger,  just being his shadow and silently following. There was a part of the younger’s brain telling him to grab Mark by his shoulders and ask the boy to treat him nicely, but the other portion was saying that he should just be quiet and wait for the red-haired boy to cool down.

But the silence and not to mention, the utter awkwardness were somehow urging Jinyoung to make a move and capture Mark’s attention. He was thinking of having a short conversation about their next class or little things regarding their break times with the other but before he could mouth out a word, Mark was almost halfway inside their room without him noticing.

Maybe I’m just thinking too much. He thought before trudging towards his room at the next building of their university.

 

As soon as Mark’s trigonometry class reached its end, the elder quickly packed his things and made his way onto the door. All of a sudden, Jinyoung popped out from nowhere and settled himself beside his buddy. “Hey!” He greeted with a wide beam. No, the brunette wasn’t expecting for an answer but for formality purposes, he gathered all his remaining courage to talk. Mark, still shocked by the abrupt arrival of the other, gave him a sharp glare before pulling the other to an empty corner.

Jinyoung yelped at the harsh drag. “What are you doing here?” Mark furiously asked. For some reason, Mark hated the fact that Jinyoung was there. The taller gently swatted the other’s hand and tried his best to talk in a respectful manner. “It’s our break time and we should be together! I know you won’t spare a second going to the other building just to fetch me.”

“Your room is located at the next building?” Mark questioned with a suspicious look. But deep inside, he was amazed on how considerate the other is. Jinyoung was right. Mark will never waste his time to pick someone up especially if he doesn’t even know where exactly that person is. In addition, the next building was quite far from his current block.

Thee brunette nodded. “Shall we go to the cafeteria now?”

 

Mark snapped back to reality as he moved few steps away from Jinyoung. “Stay at the back, Shadow.” For the fourth time that day, his words left a light stab on Jinyoung’s gut. How can someone smaller than him made him feel so down?

 

As expected, Mark was quietly leading again. They arrived at the jammed cafeteria as Jinyoung did his best to look for any empty spot. His eyes landed on a not so far area and with all his might, he pulled Mark after him to ensure that they’ll be the first one to own the place. Mark was in the middle of getting angry and being thankful. But for now, he’d rather feel thankful.

 

The two sat at the opposite sides of the table. Jinyoung happily pulled out a small container out from his backpack. Mark was subconsciously drumming his fingers on the wooden table, making an almost inaudible sound due to the ear shattering chats and noises from random students. Not knowing, he was staring blankly at Jinyoung throughout the whole time.

“Mark? Are you okay?” Jinyoung asked while looking for his chopsticks. Mark nodded, realizing how uncomfortable the situation is. He turned to his bag and searched for his wallet. He’s starving and he needs something delicious to boost his now decreasing stamina.

But just by looking at the long line towards the food service section made him lose more of his remaining strength. At the point, Jinyoung saw the annoyance written all over Mark’s face. “Mark!” The boy stared at him, raising his thick eyebrows.

“Here. Let’s just share.” The younger offered.

This is not the right time to elevate his pride and decline for something that he would never consider dropping. Mark nodded and muttered a weak ‘thanks’ as Jinyoung handed him another pair of unused utensils. The food is good. Mark thought as they both munched without a word. An irrelevant question jumped through his thoughts, not aware on how this might affect the situation, he still managed to ask Jinyoung.

 

“Jinyoung-ah, what do you want? Why are you doing this?”

Jinyoung smiled like it was nothing. He’s not the type of person that takes these kinds topics seriously. “I want us to be friends. How can we be effective buddies if we’re too awkward regarding everything?”

Mark agreed and the conversation ended there. Soon, their break time was finished as well, so Jinyoung immediately left and proceeded to his next class while Mark decided that he’ll stay at the rooftop for a couple of hours just to relax and breathe some fresh air. The rooftop has become his escape every time he’s feeling down and depressed; not to mention, also when he’s bored and sleepy. No one except him can crash the gates of his personal space.

 

4 hours passed. The school bell rang; a sign of dismissal. The empty hallway was perfectly shaded with the alluring tint of sunset. The windows served as a natural filter, making it look melodramatic in a way. The young and peppy students eagerly went out of their respective rooms. Pupils run from here to there, hoping that they can quickly left the school premises and go somewhere with their companies. The scene was chaotic if you’re a newbie, but not for Jinyoung.

Jinyoung grabbed some of his books and stuffed them immediately inside his backpack. “Jinyoung!” a voice echoed inside the empty room. The taller looked around and saw Jaebum standing at the other side of the hallway. With a beam, Jinyoung made his way towards the other. “Hey there!” he said.

“I heard that you’re under the ‘Buddy System’ with Mark Tuan. Is that true?” The elder curiously asked as they went down the building. “Yup. You know him?” Jinyoung asked while looking for his cellphone. “Absolutely! He’s responsible for bullying every newbie here. How come you’re not aware? ” Jaebum said. Honestly, Jaebum got bullied by Mark once, but since Jaebum really is a fighter and he knew that he’s much stronger than the other, he brawled for his own good.

Jinyoung just shrugged before chuckling. “Speaking of Mark, have you seen him?”

“Yeah. He went home just in time when the bell rang. I saw him.”

“Oh. Okay. I have a truckload of things to tell you, Jae-ah!”

“I’m more than willing to listen, dude.”

 

 

Having a buddy wasn’t a bad idea after all. Mark said to himself as he sat on the park, waiting for Jackson and Yugyeom. Almost lost in his own, deep thoughts, the boy grabbed a can of carbonated drink and consumed it right away. He was thinking about Jinyoung; his smile, his kindness, his voice and all the things that happened earlier that day. I should’ve been nicer to him. He whispered to himself again.

 

“Sorry, we’re late.” Out of the blue, Jackson and Yugyeom arrived. The boys were still in their school uniform and it made Mark wonder why. “We’ve just finished cleaning the whole gymnasium.” Yugyeom ranted as he took a can from Mark’s paper bag. They were really tired and it’s visible in their faces. The eldest cringed and asked. ”Why? Part-time job or something?”

“Are you stupid?! It’s a punishment! We almost knocked a kid earlier, remember?” Jackson yelled. Oh, right. Mark realized. 

“We’ll be cleaning all parts of the school; from the gates up until the rooftop. We won’t be seeing each other for a month.” The youngest added as he crushed the tin before tossing it somewhere near the waste bin. A month would be too long for the three. They’ve been together since freshmen years and Mark considered them both as his best friends.

On the other side, Jackson and Yugyeom were aware about Mark’s situation and his indefinable behaviour. Knowing that in a way, they also contributed a lot for Mark to be this worst. And maybe, it’s about time for Mark to realize that a change of environment might help for him to totally change his perspectives regarding his life.

Mark remained silent. “You’re lucky. I heard that you’re in a ‘buddy system’ with Park Jinyoung. He’s an exchange student and he’s really smart.” Jackson said with a smirk plastered on his face. Mark gave a weak nod before standing up. “He’s approachable.” The red-haired commented before grabbing his skateboard.

“I’ll go now.” And he left.

 

 

Next day, Mark woke up earlier than he was supposed to and rushed towards the bathroom to groom himself. He has to be early so that Jinyoung will not be involved if ever he’ll be late or something. His conscience won’t let him sleep for weeks if that’s going to happen.

He arrived at school exactly as Jinyoung hopped off the bus. Welcoming the elder with a huge smile, Jinyoung greeted. “Good Morning, buddy!” he said. The smell of cinnamon was still lingering on his breath and Mark noticed that. The other nodded and turned his back on the brunette as he finally drags himself of school.

 

 

It was their free time before going home when Jinyoung saw that Mark’s face was totally messed-up while glazing at his notebook; a hand on his hair, tugging his red locks while the other was holding a pen. Jinyoung took a sip on his lemonade before asking Mark. “What’s that?” he asked.

Mark rolled his eyes but didn’t bother to look at him. “Physics. I can’t understand a single thing.” He muttered. Without any word, Jinyoung snatched the notebook and examined the writings. The elder on the other hand, watched him silently. “Equilibrium?” Mark nodded while tapping his pen on the table.

“I’ll teach you.” And Jinyoung pulled Mark closer to him. Their shoulders bumped and Mark frizzed at the sudden contact. There was something about that moment that made him feel weird. He stared at Jinyoung and decided that the other has the cutest pair of lips. He observed the way his eye wrinkled whenever he’s talking to fast. But before he could sight another thing, the brunette patted his elbow.

 

“Is there something wrong? Am I talking too fast?” Jinyoung asked with his eyes wide open. He’s adorable. Mark mumbled to himself. He was too busy looking at the other’s face not knowing that Jinyoung was already talking about the solutions.

“Y-yeah.”

“Sorry. I’ll just repeat it then. ”

“That’ll be great. But can you please slow down a bit?”

“No problem!”

 

The time was unnoticeable for the two. For the first time, Mark enjoyed the subject. Jinyoung enthusiastically showed him all the solutions, including the shortcuts and techniques that can be applied. He also gave some exercises and examples just to explain how it was done. At the end, Mark learned something that he never thought that he would.

 

As the bell rang, Jinyoung and Mark’s so-called ‘tutorial session’ was also over. So the younger stood up and carried his books. “I’ll go ahead, Mark.” The other nodded, as usual, before taking the skateboard that he placed under the table earlier that afternoon. It caught Jinyoung’s attention and Mark noticed the brunette’s marvel towards it. “That’s cool!” Jinyoung said with a hint of excitement in his voice. Mark stood up as well with the board on his hands. “Wanna try?”

“I can’t. I might fall.”

“I’ll teach you.” Not waiting for the other’s response, Jinyoung found himself being tugged outside the school. Mark was gripping on his wrist and not even talking to him. As soon as they reached the sidewalk, Mark finally spoke. “Stand straight and lift your arm sideways to retain your balance.”

Jinyoung, still scared, did what Mark instructed. He placed his right foot on the board and later then settled the other as well. “Now, put your left hand on my shoulder. Hold it tight.” Clueless, Jinyoung obeyed again. In less than 5 seconds, Mark stated walking, making the board move as well. The fear in Jinyoung’s heart turned into sheer happiness as they moved. He was so happy and Mark was so amazed with that.

“How can you be so happy just by riding a skateboard?”

Jinyoung faced Mark; hand still gripping on the elder’s shoulder. “Even the smallest things are meant to be enjoyed.”

 

Those words left a huge impact on Mark; realizing how simple Jinyoung is. Mark continued to walk, while Jinyoung was still on the board with a heartfelt smile and some cute, incoherent words that he makes when he’s too happy.

“I think I’m taking my words back.” Mark said.

“Which words?” Jinyoung asked.

And before Mark could respond….

 

“Jinyoungie!”

 

Jinyoung glanced at the bus stop nearby and saw his best friend. “Jaebum-ah!” he yelled back. Mark intensely stared at Jaebum before he noticed that Jinyoung’s tight grip was already gone. “I’ll go now, Mark! Thank you!” he bid farewell and hurried towards Jaebum as if they haven’t seen each other for years. The two immediately rode a bus and at that point, Mark felt a light sting on his heart.

 

No. I can’t be jealous. 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: HEY GUYS! Im sorry for this kinda crappy (lol) chapter :(( . I’m sick and I just don’t want to leave y’all hanging so I managed to finish this chapter last night hahahaha. But then, I want to sincerely thank y’all for supporting this fic and I promise that I’ll be posting more chapters when I’m already feeling better. :)) Again, thank you sooooo much.♥  Stay safe! Love y’all