O1.

Braving The Wild

Monday; a day that most of the people loathe for whatsoever reasons. Is it because of the bumper to bumper scenario that most of the motorists experience? Or maybe the sudden rush at the train stations, early call times at work or school and usually, it’s the day when reports and other irrelevant crap are dated to be passed. Stereotypically, Mondays are unloved simply because it kills the weekend vibe.

But for Jinyoung, Mondays need some lovin’ too.

 

The 19 year old lad sighted his dorm from corner to corner; inspecting if there’s something that he forgot to place inside his green backpack or little matters like the switches, the windows and the locks. In less than a minute, he’s all set to leave his humble room and drag his own feet to school.

As an exchange student from a country that’s highly modernized yet satisfying, Jinyoung rarely finds the negativities in things. He’s the type of person that still searches for any positive attributes down until the worst situation that he’s into.  With a bright beam and a brave heart, he’s more than willing to reach his goals in life.

 

It’s his second week in this upscale, elegant and prominent university, nevertheless everything’s going smooth and accord to the way Jinyoung wanted it. Peaceful it is. There’s still a tiny chip of fear in his heart, which is inevitable, dealing with the unfamiliar environment that he has to cope. A concrete jungle with all types of animals; huge, small, gentle, wild, scary and lovable. And there he is, a complete outcast that will do his best to survive and go back home fulfilled.

He arrived at the school with the same old toothy smile that he wears everyday. Passing by the hallways, Jinyoung reached the cafeteria and looked for his friend, Jaebum. This Jaebum guy is an exchange student as well, the only difference is Jaebum was sent a year earlier than him. “Jae!” Jinyoung called. The elder was deliciously munching on his beef burger as he waved at Jinyoung.

 

“Zup buddy!” He greeted as soon as Jinyoung’s was already plastered on the chair. As usual, they started their conversation with their top secret handshake thingy.  Jinyoung finds Jaebum a cool one. It’s not that he likes him or…well yeah.  Jinyoung is in the process of developing some kind of crush for Jaebum and it’s not a bad thing though.  At least, seeing the elder makes him a little more happier each day.

“Am I late?” Jinyoung asked suspiciously. The raven-haired glanced at his wrist watch and shook his head with his mouth full. “Nah. Why?”

“Cause you’re already having your break! You’re supposed to be in your history class at this very moment, Mr. Im.” The younger said. His motherly instincts are showing completely. Jaebum grinned as he roughly swallowed the chewed food. “It’s too boring.” He explained. Jinyoung smiled. What a lame excuse. He thought.

“Before I forgot, the principal said that you have to proceed to her office right now.” And with that, Jinyoung felt a huge, inedible lump on his throat. He’s nervous. “W-why?” he mumbled with a low voice.

“Nothing to serious, buddy. Maybe about your first 2 weeks here.” Jaebum suggested as he the leftovers and oil residues off his fingers.

“Oh. Ok. I’ll go ahead! See you later!”

 

Jinyoung trudged towards the office. He’s way too confident now, knowing that it’s not that serious. All the anxiety finally faded away. Before he could notice, the enormous sign that clearly states that he’s in front of the office had shaken him already. With a deep breath, he turned the knob and stood near the principal.

 

“Good Morning Ma’am.” He greeted calmy, still with a gentle beam.

“Good Morning to you too, Jinyoung. Have a seat.”

He did. Patiently, the brunette anticipated the other’s words. For few minutes, the room was a total silence. The principal was there, reading some school records of a student that he doesn’t even know and he never bothered to look at it anyway. “How’s you first two weeks?” she mouthed out of the blue.

 

“It’s fun. I’m loving the atmosphere and the people as well. “

“I know you’ll say that. Glad to hear that from you, Jinyoung.” Jinyoung then smiled. His positive outlook in life never failed him, not even once. The principal went back to his work as Jinyoung continued to stare at the stuffs dangled all over the walls just to amuse himself. Suddenly a knock broke the emerging silence.

 

“He’s here.”

The principal whispered to herself, loud enough for Jinyoung to hear. Jinyoung cringed and wondered who’s the person standing at the other side of the door. His sight never left the principal as she welcomed the other person in. Without notice, the red-haired boy immediately sat on the chair in front of Jinyoung.

How rude. Jinyoung said to himself. The brunette examined him as if he’s auditioning to be a supermodel. His red hair pushed down by some expensive looking snapback, kinda thick but nice eyebrows, tantalizing eyes and a cute pair of lips that doesn’t even recognize the word ‘smile’. Stubborn looking filthy rich playboy. I knew it. Jinyoung again talked to himself, not knowing that the other was eyeing him too.

 

The principal sat back down. “Jinyoung, this is Mark. Mark, he’s Jinyoung.”

Jinyoung was about to formally surrender his hand for a handshake but then he saw Mark’s inhumane gaze at him. Holy mother of cheese! Is he going to kill me? he thought. Mark’s eye went to the principal’s. “Why am I here….Again?”

 

“Well, this is the 6th time that you’re reported to bully someone.”

“It’s not my fault! Jackson started it!” Mark protested. Jinyoung remained composed as he listed to the other.  Who the hell is Jackson? Jinyoung thought.  Mark removed his cap as his fluffy red-hair bounced cutely. It made Jinyoung amused, partially amused. Childish it is.

“Mr. Tuan, the kid clearly stated your name. Would you mind telling me the whole story?”

 

Mark rolled his eyes and crossed his arms in annoyance. Still having his overly bitter expression he spoke. “I was walking serenely, when this Kunpimook Bhu-whatsoever kid spitted a gum near my way, so I ended up stepping on it.”

“That’s it?”

“Yes. Ma’am, my shoes are 12 times more expensive compared to his cellphone.”

 

Arrogant. That’s how everyone sees Mark. He’s the boy that everyone hates and loves at the same time. He’s handsome, rich, famous and powerful but a devil in disguise. Together with his crew, Jackson and Yugyeom, they can transform anyone’s high school life into a nightmare. But still, Jinyoung, being a good boy he is, tried to understand Mark’s situation.

 

“I’m sorry Mark, but that kind of behaviour will no longer work for me.” The principal answered. Jinyoung decides that his eyes were now sore due to averting it from one person to another. “Warning, done. Community service, done. Suspension, also done. Preventive suspension, done again.  I think you already know what’s next, Mr. Tuan. ”

Mark raised his eyebrows and widens his eyes in shock. “N-No! No! Ma’am please no!” he begged. The younger was just there, clueless sitting. Why was he even there? Just a decoration while the principal is sending her hatred to Mark?

 

“Ma’am, please! I’ll accept any punishment! Please! I can’t leave this school!” Mark begged using his coarse voice. Seems like he’s about to break down at no time. The principal grinned and took a couple of folders from his drawer. “Any punishment?” the principal asked again.

 

“Any! Oh…maybe no. But… ugh! Please!”

The school head chuckled and Jinyoung stared with disbelief. Is she crazy? She distributed the folders to the boys. Mark impatiently turned the page. His eyes enlarged at the sight.

“The buddy system?” Mark questioned, confused.

“Yes. That’s why Jinyoung is here. You two are going to be buddies.”

“What? With him? Hell no!”

 

If Mark was totally confused, how about Jinyoung? He doesn’t even know what this ‘Buddy System’ is and why Mark reacted badly when they are said to do it. The cleared his throat and tried to speak. “Can someone explain me what’s going on?” he politely asked.

 

“Buddy system is a punishment that is infrequently used. You and Mark are going to be buddies for 30 days. No one will get left behind. You have to stay together at all times, only inside the campus to be specific. Only the both of you can hang out. For 30 days, you guys are going to be each other’s wonder wall.”

 

Unconsciously, Jinyoung’s jaw dropped. “So you mean, 30 days…Just the both of us? Every second, every minute, every hour, everyday?” The principal nodded enthusiastically.  Truthfully, it’s not an issue if Jinyoung would be at distant with Jaebum for a month, but the thing is he’s scared of whatever Mark can do to him.

 

Jinyoung, please be an optimist. He wished to himself

 

“See? Jinyoung doesn’t even like this too!” Mark said.

“Sign the ‘Buddy System Contract’ or you’ll be no longer a student of this university, Mr. Tuan?” The head said before Jinyoung could protest regarding Mark’s statement. Mark mumbled something inaudible before grabbing a pen and signing the paper. No choice, Jinyoung did the same. His hands trembled but it’s too late to back out now. The principal then gave them a pair of blue wristbands, more like a baller.

 

“You two have to wear that everyday for people to identify that you’re under the ‘Buddy System’. Removing the wristband inside the school premises is strictly prohibited. ”

“Ma’am! This is too much! Can--”

“It’s a rule. It’s in the contract in case you didn’t saw it. Rule is a rule, Mark Tuan. Oh! Day 1 starts today.”

His argument is invalid. “Mark you can leave now, just wait for Jinyoung outside.” She added. And with all his might, Mark stood up and stormed outside the room with the blue wristband now on his wrist. Jinyoung wore his as well. Once it was just the two inside, Jinyoung declared. “Ma’am…”

The principal smiled. “I know it, Jinyoung. You’re worried. I chose you for this because you’re so positive regarding anything! I believe in you. I hope this can help Mark to find himself.” The student couldn’t agree more to that but after all, is there something that he can get from this? Like a benefit or something profitable.

 

“Free dorm and weekly allowance as your reward. Would that be enough, Mr.Park?”

Jinyoung felt his heart burst due to extreme happiness.  Aside from being a full scholar, he never imagined these things to happen. Privileges that he never thought he would experience. He nodded and smiled brightly. “Thank you Ma’am! Thank you very much! I’ll do my best! I promise.”

 

With a huge grin on his face, Jinyoung exited the room and saw an annoyed Mark giving a death stare at him. The red-haired took his step and left Jinyoung at his back. Jinyoung followed. “Hey!”

Mark ignored. He continued walking. “I don’t like you.” He stated and the brunette somehow felt annoyed. “I don’t like you either.” He said bluntly . Mark halted and turned to face the younger. “Great.” He sarcastically said.

 

They reached the hall as they hear people talk about them being in this ‘buddy system’. Jinyoung was being left behind; blame Mark’s habit of walking fast. He shoved some people out his way politely and walked faster to be near the elder again. Walking behind him makes him feel so small. He isn’t a follower! Not even a stalker. They’re buddies! No one should be left behind because the principal said that! He was almost there, beside Mark. Almost there, Jinyoung!

 

“Stay at the back. You’re just a shadow.”