O3.

Braving The Wild

“This is your dorm?”Jaebum asked. There was a mixture of amazement and doubt hidden in his voice which Jinyoung noticed it right away. Jinyoung slowly nodded as he welcomed his friend inside. Due to intense astonishment, the raven-haired immediately had his jaw dropped. He took small steps with his eyes roaming from one nook to another.

 

“Make yourself comfortable, Jae.” Jinyoung sighed as he stared at his friend. He must admit, even him reacted that way as well when he first saw his new dorm few hours ago. The brunette turned his back at his best friend and Jaebum, still wearing the same expression.

They reached the living room area. “Dude, this ain’t a dorm! It’s a mansion!” Jaebum blurted out naturally. The younger chuckled at the statement while resting himself beside the other. “It’s bigger than we expected.” And Jaebum couldn’t agree more to that. They both assumed that the dorm was just like Jinyoung’s old apartment but now that they’ve seen it, they’re more than sure that not even a single corner comprises a similarity from the younger’s past flat.

 

With his back comfortably pressed against the soft cushions, Jinyoung gazed at his dorm. This place is too big. He said to himself. Earlier that day, he was asked to drop by the principal’s office to get the keys of his new dorm and his first weekly allowance. After class, he immediately went to the building; a high class structure where most of the high profiled students live. Few more steps and he reached his room. It was like an apartment or somewhat like a condominium. Guessing that the principal was mistaken, he gave her a call just to ask if he’s on the right site. Fortunately, the school head said yes and with that, Jinyoung almost cried right at his spot.

There’s only one room with a huge bed and very soft comforters. A dining area that has a large refrigerator filled with all kinds of food that a student would need and a living room area that has a flat screen television. The room was fully furnished. Only Jinyoung and his things were needed to complete the set-up.  “The principal’s spoiling you too much.” Jaebum giggled.

 

“Maybe. I don’t’ know.” Jinyoung answered with a weird grin.

“But seriously, you deserve all of these. You’ve traded your happiness and freedom just to be a bully’s companion for 30 days. That’s crazy!”

Speaking of the bully, Mark really seemed sad that day and Jinyoung never bothered to ask why. Despite of knowing that Mark Yi En Tuan is a type of guy that rarely smiles, the younger still noticed the extra loneliness  drawn on his flawless face.  For the entire day, Mark decided to stay at the rooftop and that became the reason for Jinyoung to spend his vacant hours in the rooftop as well. They didn’t talked too much; greetings and other small questions. Honestly, it bothered Jinyoung. A lot.

Jinyoung smirked as he turned the television on. “This is too much, really.” He stood up and trudged towards the kitchen to take some snacks; a fruit plate. Soon, he got back on his spot with a plate on his right hand and a bottle of icy-cold water on his left. The raven-haired assisted the younger as they proceeded back to their previous position.  “How’s the 3rd day?” Jaebum questioned, stuffing a piece of sliced apple inside his mouth.

“Nothing much happened.” The other answered, his eyes not leaving the television. Deep inside, he was thinking about Mark. He was deeply worried that his buddy might end up doing something that can hurt or risk himself. He munched onto a bounty piece of grape.  “He’s too quiet today. It seems like he’s troubled. I don’t know.” The younger added.

“Come to think of it Jinyoung, he’s the type of person that prefers to blankly stare at everything for the entire day instead of curving any damned muscle in his face. Trust me. ” Lewd, but true; that’s how Jaebum categorized his observation.

“It’s not that. I mean, he’s too quiet! Yesterday, he started to open up about things…”

“Things? You just taught him the basic concepts of Equilibrium and he allowed you to use his skateboard. What’s too great about that? And besides, people do change their mood every single day.”

 

He’s right. Jinyoung thought. Maybe he’s just overthinking…again. This is why Jinyoung hates himself at times. In line for his very light and motherly personality, Jinyoung tend to be too concern for everyone’s welfare. For him, that’s a way to treasure friendships; even the people that means a lot to him. “I bet that’s how elite people act.” He answered, taking a gulp of cold water.

“Exactly,” Jaebum managed to mouth out while chewing a mixture of kiwis and sliced strawberries. “You know it makes me wonder how, people like us, made it in that university. You know, it’s for first-class folks.” The elder added. The statement made Jinyoung smile, realizing how lucky he and his best friend were.

He passed Jaebum a bottle of water. “Because of the scholarship, dude.” He reminded with an enormous beam.

Jaebum nodded vigorously. “Me, for being a part of the varsity. While you…you’re so smart. ”

 

And they both giggled. Jinyoung never admitted that he’s smart. For him, it’s just a matter of being dedicated on your craft. If you’re determined enough to chase your dreams, you’d probably do the same. He likes reading books and other things that not every teen in the current generation would dare to do. Jaebum finds it weird, but interesting.

Jaebum is a perfect boyfriend-material. That’s how Jinyoung defines his friend. He has a thing for putting the word ‘material’ after every noun or adjective that he’ll be using to compare or describe a particular person. The younger is quite worried that he might fall for his best friend in the long run. Jaebum is a very warm person and Jinyoung would always favor those types. They also share the same interests, except basketball; he’s a total er at sports.

The two enjoyed watching television, ignoring the time. It’s already late and Jaebum has to deal with some assignments and lessons that he wasn’t able to take because of the non-stop training. Soon, all the fruits on the platter were fully consumed; leaving them both satisfied. “Jae, can you stay a bit longer?” Jinyoung yawned.

 

But before his friend could answer, a harsh knock ruined the stillness. Jinyoung glared worryingly at Jaebum, then the other reciprocated the look but it’s a stiffer one. The elder stood up upon hearing another series of hard knocks from the other side of the door. As Jaebum took his steps towards the entrance, Jinyoung followed him right away. He decided to hide himself beside his best friend. He’ll be safer in that way.

Without any warning, Jaebum confidently turned the knob and opened the door. Jinyoung clutched tightly on the other’s arm. A familiar face showed up. He’s wearing a black snapback, a black tank top and a pair of black pants not to mention his black flip flops. They’re all surprised by seeing each other. Jaebum, silently judging the other with a sharp stare. Jinyoung, totally confused and it’s really visible in his expression. While the man at the door was confidently showing his typical rigid reaction.

 

“Mark?” Jinyoung uttered, surprised.

 

“The hell are you doing here?” Jaebum asked as his voice raised. His arms went to Jinyoung’s sides and pushed the younger behind him; an evidence of Jaebum being protective. Mark rudely entered the room with a backpack that the two didn’t notice at first. The brunette followed his buddy as he entered the room and sat on the couch.

Jinyoung rushed beside Mark. “Why are you here? It’s already late. I’m about to sleep.” The younger said politely. Mark stay focused on the television. The tension started rising as Jaebum stormed beside his pal. “Is it really hard to answer that question, huh? Why are you here?” He shouted, making Jinyoung mutter a low ‘calm down’ while tapping the other’s shoulder.

Mark finally broke his silence and glared at Jaebum. He stood up. “You? What the hell are you doing here?”

Jaebum smirked before clenching his fist. “This is my best friend’s dorm. Emphasis on the ‘best friend’. I think that’s enough to answer your question.”

The youngest tried his best to control the two. He placed himself between them; his back pressed against Jaebum’s chest. “Uhmmm, Mark can you just tell us why you’re here?” Jinyoung pleaded while playing with his best friend’s fingers; a thing that he usually does when he’s running out of words.

 

“I’ll live here.”

“What?” Jinyoung said.

“I’ll live here. We’re buddies, right?”

Jaebum interrupted. His blood was near to reach its boiling pint.  “The buddy system is only applicable inside the school premises, Mark Tuan.” Mark turned to meet Jinyoung’s eyes. Maybe he’s trying to get Jinyoung’s attention or sympathy but it ended up the other way around. Their eyes met and there, Mark lost it. The tenderness and compassion written on the younger’s eyes was just too charming to ignore. “Mark?” Jinyoung asked. “You ok?”

“Yeah… So I was saying…We should let Jinyoung decide about this. After all, this is his dorm.” Mark clearly stated as he looked away.

Jinyoung blinked numerous times before answering. “Actually, there’s no problem about that. You can stay here but I’m expecting you to treat me better.” And with that Mark shot an annoying stare to Jaebum who was in the verge of breaking something. Before Jaebum could file his argument, Jinyoung held his hand and dragged him towards the door.

 

“Jae-ah, I know what I’m doing. I got this, okay?” the brunette explained.

The elder sighed and ruffled his best friend’s locks. “I trust you. But if that hurt you, don’t think twice and just call me immediately.” He said staring direly at Mark who was currently feeling another light pang on his chest while staring at the two.

Jinyoung let out a contented sigh. “I will. Take care, Jae-ah. See you tomorrow.” And he shut the door close. Jinyoung turned back and saw Mark with a blank expression. He was blinking his eyes and biting his bottom lip. It seems like he’s about to cry at no time. Jinyoung timidly rushed beside the elder.

 

“Mark, are you ok?” he asked, placing his hand on the other’s shoulder.

Mark nodded half-heartedly before asking. “Where’s your room? I’ll unpack my things.” Jinyoung showed a gentle smile before pointing at the door near the refrigerator. Mark quickly took his bag and walked towards the room, leaving Jinyoung in complete confusion.

 

There’s really something bothering him. I know there is. Jinyoung said to himself as he washed the plate that they used earlier for the fruit platter. All of a sudden, Mark went out of the room and sat on a chair at the dining area. The brunette gathered all his courage to confirm his suspicion. “Is there something wrong?”

Mark shook his head before looking away and biting his lips again.

 

“Ok. But if there’s something bothering you, I’m always here. I’m willing to listen.” Jinyoung said as he placed the clean plate on the dishwasher. He beamed at the elder before drying his hands and making his way to their room. But suddenly…

 

“Jinyoung…”

The younger turned around. “Yes?” he asked. The brunette retreated back to the dining area and saw the grief on Mark’s face. His face was wet with his own fresh tears and he was shaking. Worried, Jinyoung pulled a chair and sat beside Mark. He comforted the other by instantly pulling the elder into a tight hug. As the hug lasted longer, the red-haired male started to cried harder as well. Jinyoung felt a wet patch on his shoulders but it’s something that he didn’t mind. What matters now is Mark. 

 

Jinyoung was hugging him close as Mark latched on him as well. After few minutes, Mark pulled away and wiped his tears. “It’s uncool to cry. Sorry.” He said. The brunette sighed and wiped more tears off the other’s face. “Who said? If you’re not going to cry, that aching feeling will not be released. That’ll be more painful.” The brunette mouthed. Mark softened his expression and stared at Jinyoung while sniffing.

“Tell me what happened.” Jinyoung requested, his hands reaching for Mark’s.

 

Mark took a deep inhale. With his voice still shaking, he still tried to express himself. “Dad and I got into an argument. This was an intense one compared to the past arguments but this was the worst as well. Ever since I was young, he never cared about me. We usually end up fighting over petty things.  Earlier, he told me that I’m a shame in our family and other hurtful words. So I ran away from home. That’s the reason why I’m here. ”

The brunette remained silent, thinking of the right words to say.  As a self-proclaimed optimist himself, Jinyoung has an idea on how to act regarding issues like this. He’s pretty sure that this topic is sensitive and has something to do with Mark’s attitude. “He never cared? How can you say that?”

“For him, business comes first. That’s why I decided to do things that will catch his attention even if that means hurting others, like bullying. There’s a sudden fulfilment when I know my dad would notice me if the school principal asked him to come over for a short talk. He’ll notice me. He will scold and yell. It’s unbearable.”

Mark’s face was swollen and tears are still gushing out his eyes as Jinyoung toyed with his fingers, trying to comfort him. Jinyoung was right. Mark isn’t a bad person after all. He did bad things, but that doesn’t mean he’s a bad person. There’s always a reason behind everything. The younger is pretty sure that he can help Mark to improve himself.

 

“You know what? I’m…I’m proud of you. You’re so strong.” Jinyoung said. Mark’s eyes glistened upon hearing those words. “But you don’t have to hurt others to seek someone’s attention. Imagine if you’re on their shoes… You’re not the only one who’s bleeding, Mark.” He added while pulling Mark closer to him, again.

Mark nodded. Somehow, the heavy feeling in his heart faded. “Stop crying. I’m here.” Jinyoung finally said. And with that, Mark felt a weird sensation before staring at Jinyoung. His lips curved into a smile. For the first time, Jinyoung saw his smile.

The younger chuckled. “Oh! You’re smiling!” he cheered, making Mark blush and giggle as well. The night went through. Jinyoung grabbed a container of mocha flavored ice cream and handed it to Mark as they started to talk about random things. It’s amazing how a simple conversation change someone’s perspectives. In the middle of their conversation about their first impressions, Mark cleared his throat.   

 

“Jinyoung….”

“Yes?”

“Thank you. Thank you so much.”

The younger smiled. “Anything for my buddy.

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: ☺ Heyyyyyyah! First of all, I want to thank everyone for their concern regarding my health hahahaha anyway im feeling alot better now. btw, hi to all new subscribers (*w*)/ ♥ hahahahaha this chap is kinda long lol sorry hahaha i enjoyed writing this one nonetheless :)) so yeah! Thats all for now! Thanks guys! Stay safe :) Enjoy your weekend! Love y'all! ♥☺