The Reconciliaton

How Old Are You Again?

“Daewon-hyung.” Jaehwan didn’t expect this. He didn’t expect he would meet his ex-lover here. His eyes go wide seeing him standing there right in front of him. His minds goes blank so he can’t think about something. Is this really happening?

 

“Hi, Jaehwan-ah.” Daewon greets him with smile adoring his face. Jaehwan’s breath hitches seeing this. He can feel his heart racing. It’s been a long time since last time they saw each other. His eyes still on Daewon and the same goes for Daewon.

 

“Can I sit beside you?” Daewon asks him, breaking their eye contact. This question brings Jaehwan to reality. He turns his head to the vacant side beside him.

 

“Ah- Yes, you can sit here, hyung.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“No prob.” Jaehwan answers him awkwardly. He feels nervous all of a sudden. He doesn’t really know what to do or what to say. He puts both of his hands over his thighs. He looks everywhere but Daewon’s direction. He can see Daewon looking at him, and this makes him even more nervous than he already is. He wants to hide but his body refuses to move. He blinks his eyes rapidly and his lips.

 

Daewon, on the other hand, looks at Jaehwan’s direction without any hesitant. He observes the man beside him. It’s been a long time. He missed, misses him. But he has no right to say it. He wants to hug him, but he has no right to do it. He then looks at Jaehwan’s hands on his thighs. His hands are moving nonstop, seems like he’s nervous. He smiles seeing this. He never changes, which is great. And maybe, just maybe, that specific part of him that doesn’t change too, after all this time, maybe.

 

They stay like that for a couple minutes. Jaehwan being nervous and Daewon looking at him confidently. Daewon thinks Jaehwan may explode if this continue. So he decides to break the silent, plus he has a lot of thing to say.

 

“It’s been a long time right, Jaehwan-ah?” Daewon asks him.

 

“Ye- yes.” Jaehwan answers him shortly, clearly still nervous from the situation he’s in. Daewon laughs hearing this, not chuckle but laugh. Jaehwan looks at Daewon’s direction confusedly. Did something funny happen?

 

“I’m sorry for laughing. I just find it funny that you’re nervous from this. Relax, Jaehwan-ah.”

 

“Ah. Yes, hyung.”

 

“How have you been, Jaehwan-ah?”

 

“I’ve been great, hyung.” Jaehwan answers him shortly. They go silent for a while until Jaehwan asks the same question to Daewon.

 

“W-What about you, hyung? How have you been?” Jaehwan asks Daewon with slightly shaking voice.

 

“I’ve been great too. Actually I just finished my enlistment.”

 

“Really? Why didn’t you tell us, hyung? We could have sent you off or welcomed you.” Jaehwan complains to him, already getting used to the situation.

 

“Ahahahahahaha~ I’m sorry. You guys were busy with your debut so I didn’t have heart to tell you guys. You guys were busy back then.”

 

“Eeeeyyy~ Don’t say that, hyung.”

 

“Ahahahahahahahahaha~ I’m sorry okay.”

 

“It’s okay, hyung. Just don’t do that again. You’re not nobody okay.”

 

“Thanks, Jaehwan-ah.”

 

“Ung~ You’re welcome, hyung.”

 

“I’m glad all of your hard work paid off. I really do. You guys deserve it.” Daewon smiles sincerely while saying this. Jaehwan is lying if this doesn’t do something with his heart.

 

“T-thanks, hy-hyung.” Jaehwan ducks his head hearing the compliment. He clamps his hands on his knees. Daewon can’t help but let out small chuckles seeing Jaehwan’s cute reactions of his compliment. You never change, Jaehwan-ah, cute as ever. Don’t ever change.

 

“Aigoooo~ Our cutie main vocal~” Daewon ruffles Jaehwan’s hair playfully, earning high pitch whine from the owner.

 

“Hyyuuunngg~” They laugh together over the situation. They stay silent for a while after that, but they don’t find it uncomfortable. Instead they find the silent comforting. They look to their front, admiring the scenery for a while. It’s been a long time since last time they talked with each other. They stay silent for minutes until Daewon breaks the silent.

 

“How are the others?”

 

“They’ve been fine, great even. We got a lot of offerings so we have a lot of activities to do, even individual.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Ung~”

 

“That’s great then.”

 

“Definitely.”

 

“But don’t you think Hakyeon has way too much? He needs to rest. He’ll break himself if he doesn’t get enough rest.”

 

“He is. Oh my God. You have no idea how much I told him that. That he needs to rest. That he doesn’t have to accept all of the offerings. He always says because he’s the leader. Screw that. He still a human. He needs to rest. I mean, I know he’s strong, but still he’s a human being and he needs to rest. Like proper rest. Not just couple hours of sleep. You can’t even count that as rest. I mean…” And Jaehwan starts his rant about Hakyeon and other things to Daewon. Daewon just smiles seeing this.

 

They talk to each other, or more like Jaehwan 80% and Daewon 20%, for a long time until they realize no one is at the park. They’re alone by now. Jaehwan checks his watch and squeaks after seeing what time it is now.

 

“Oh my God. It’s already 2 am now. Oh my God. Hakyeon-hyung must be worried by now.” He checks his phone for incoming calls and messages and he sees 32 unread messages and 47 unanswered calls. He puts his phone on silent earlier since he had his musical rehearsal. He’s so doomed.

 

“You should go back, Jaehwan-ah. Or else Hakyeon will cling onto you for a long time.” Jaehwan’s eyes go double over this. He can’t imagine Hakyeon nags and clings onto him for a long time. He’d rather being harassed by the magnae than being nagged Hakyeon.

 

“Yeah. I should go back now. You too, hyung. It’s late already.”

 

“Yeah. I’ll call you later then.” Daewon says to Jaehwan since they exchanged their phone numbers ealier.

 

“Ung~ I’ll wait for it.”

 

“Should I walk you home? Are you sure you won’t get lost?” Daewon teases Jaehwan since Jaehwan has no sense of directions.

 

“Hyuuunngg~ I’ve grown up okay.”

 

“Hahahahahahahaha~ Kidding. Be careful on your way home, okay. I’ll go first.”

 

“You too, hyung. Take care.” Just like that, Jaehwan backs to his dorm with new feeling. He looks up to the sky and smiles. He’s glad he ends his day with something good, wonderful even.

 

It takes him 20 minutes to walk back to his dorm. It’s supposed to be 15 minutes only but Jaehwan decided to appreciate the night’s beauty more so he walked a little longer. As soon as he arrives at the dorm, he braces himself for the impact which is Hakyeon nagging and clinging onto him for the rest of the night, or even more. He opens the door slowly. Here we go.

 

“JAEHWAN-AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Hakyeon runs into him and launches himself onto himself. This’s gonna be a long night.

 

“WHY DIDN’T YOU ANSWER MY CALL??????? YOU DIDN’T EVEN REPLY MY MESSAGES. HOW DARE YOU. I WAS SO SORRIED OKAY. I ALMOST CALLED THE POLICE. MY BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

“Sorry, hyung. I was… collecting my mind… yeah.” Jaehwan tries to release himself from koala Hakyeon. How in the world he get this much power when he clings onto someone when he can’t even lift a barbell? Why does his strength only come out when he cling onto someone, not when he work out? What is this hyung?

 

“Lie. What is it? Tell me. What happened?”

 

“I’m tired, hyung. Let’s sleep.” A little bit more, Jaehwan-ah. Come on. You’ve been working out with dongsaeng-line for months. Hakyeon-hyung is nothing compares to that kawai satan.

 

“No, you’re not. Not until you tell me what happened. You went for 3 hours.”

 

“I’ll tell you later. It will definitely surprise you.” Finally Jaehwan can release himself from Hakyeon’s anaconda-like grip. He then runs towards his room.

 

“Yah! Lee Jaehwan!” Hakyeon runs after him but it’s too late since Jaehwan already inside the room.

 

“I love you too, hyung. Good night.” Jaehwan teases his hyung, who is still running towards his direction, before he closes the door. Hakyeon can only make his infamous stank face seeing this.

 

Jaehwan sighs his relief after he closes the door. Finally, after months of being tortured and teased by dongsaeng-line. His work out paid off. He feels so proud of himself. Maybe he should hit the gym more frequent.

 

Taekwoon opens his eyes after hearing the ruckus. He rubs his eyes and sees his hyung leaning over the door.

 

“Hyung.” Taekwoon says with slightly groggy voice.

 

“Oh. I must have waken you up. Sorry.” Jaehwan approaches Taekwoon slowly. Poor boy must have been in deep sleep if not because of the noise. He Taekwoon’s hair softly, hoping to put the boy into his sleep again.

 

“I should be the one who say sorry.” Taekwoon says half asleep. Jaehwan’s hand feels so comforting.

 

“It’s okay. Just sleep.” Jaehwan says, still caressing Taekwoon’s hair.

 

“Did something happened? Hakyeon-hyung sounds so mad.” Taekwoon can barely open his eyes and his voice sounds like a whisper.

 

“Nothing bad happened. Instead, something great happened.”

 

“-ly?”

 

“Just sleep. It’s late already.” Jaehwan smiles seeing Taekwoon fighting the sleep.

 

“mkay. Nite, hyung.” Taekwoon lays back on his bed. He’s in peace now since his hyung is back. All he has to do now is making the special cake for his hyung.

 

“Nite. Sleep tight.” Jaehwan walks to his bed. He pulls the blanket over his body. He reaches his phone and types “Daewon-hyung”. He smiles seeing the name and the number. He then places his phone on the night stand. He’s ready to sleep when his phone vibrates. He reaches his phone and sees one message from Daewon-hyung.

 

From: Daewon-hyung

Today was great. Thanks. I hope we can talk with each other again. Goodnight, Jaehwan-ah. Have a nice dream.

 

Jaehwan smiles reading this. He types back.

 

To: Daewon-hyung

I had a great day, too. Thanks, hyung~ I’ll tell you if we have no schedule. We can talk again just like old times :D Night for you too, hyung. Sleep tight~

 

Jaehwan places his phone back on the night stand. He closes his eyes while smiling. Today was a good day.