The Party, The Poison

Protect Me From What I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You." Luca whispered.

She didn't know if she should say it; it was such a strange claim. It really made no sense, and yet... Yet, the way Tao just stared at her, as if he was waiting for her to say it. As if he wanted her to say it. Could he already know? Could he have been doing it on purpose? How?

Putting all her questions aside for the moment, she was finally going to say it out loud when their litter suddenly halted. 

"Have you told her yet?" Came a deep voice.

"Not yet." Sehun, who had been looking at her in confusion up till now, called back. "I was just about to."

"No need." The front curtain was suddenly torn aside, revealing one of the princes. "Hi, Princess." He gave her a small insincere smile and continued. "You can do something for us, right?" She just stared at him. He tilted his head to the side, then looked at the other prince that had gotten down with him. He only seemed to see his brother, but then he looked at her and a shiver ran down her spine. She felt the fear start to seep into her eyes and, upon finding herself unable to stop it, immediately disguised it, as best she could, as indifference. "You can, right?" The first prince repeated.

"I didn't think there was any other possible answer, Your Highness." 

He held her gaze for a few moments, then scoffed a little. Luca was surprised to see it reach his eyes. 

"Here." He handed her a ring. "For the Duchess's cup."

With those last words, he ripped the curtains back into place. The last Lux saw of them was the second prince glancing back at her, his eyes even darker than before. 

As soon as she settled back into her seat, she pulled the ring up to her face. She turned it over to the small latch below the stone and sniffed.

"Careful," Tao spoke. "It's-"

"Poison." Luca finished for him. "I'm not an idiot."

He nodded. "You are a princess, after all."

"Have you done it before, then?" Sehun asked.

"Poison people?" She shook her head. "No."

"Killed." He corrected. 

She looked at him. "Yes."

He frowned. "Why? I thought you'd been locked away in a tower."

"I didn't know you knew that." She raised her eyebrows, a little put off.

He laughed. "Of course we know."

"Did you know I was a soldier, then?" She asked, her annoyance getting the best of her. The second it left she regreted it, mentally chastising herself.

"What?" This time it was Tao who was surprised. "Why? Your fa- I mean, the King let you?"

"No." She shook her head, dropping her gaze, just wanting to move on from the topic. 

"Then?" He prodded.

She laughed through her nose bitterly. "The King," She said. "Didn't know."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter