The Nurse, The Guards

Protect Me From What I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luciana sat on her bed watching Yvette and two servants she'd never seen before rush around, putting her things away in the large trunks that had taken over her room. They made the already cramped space feel suffocating. 

"Where am I going?" She asked. 

Yvette put down the pile of fabric in her hands and sighed, running her hand over her slicked back hair, as if she would find it anywhere else than in its usual perfectly coiffed bun. "Where are we going, Princess." She corrected in her heavily accented English. Luca just stared at her. "We're going to the Empress's empire."

"If I am not mistaken," The girl started. "The Empress's empire is located at the other end of the world."

"You are not mistaken." Her nurse replied. 

"So we we will be traveling a very long time?" She asked. 

"I will." Yvette said. "You will be transported promptly."

"How?" Lucy asked. 

"I'm afraid that that is something you must ask the Empress, Princess." The woman replied. 

"I guess it's a secret?" Even though Lux's facial expression and tone of voice reflected that she knew it was not something Yvette would share with her, the maid had been with her long enough to understand that the girl still wanted her to. 

She turned to look at her, but her eyes were cast down to her hands, which rested on her lap. She wasn't showing any sadness or even surprise, and she hadn't previously, either, while the events transpired. The princess was an expert at keeping a straight face. Yvette wondered if inside she was suffering at all. Yvette sometimes wondered what kind of child she had raised.

Actually, the only thing Luciana was feeling at the moment was wariness. She didn't know where she was going, who with, or what their plans for her were. Her instinct for self preservation had always been strong. Even so, in the worst case scenario, she reasoned, she could always just kill herself. 

Just as that cataclysmic thought passed through her mind, there was a knock on the door. Two of the Empress's men came in, spears in hand.

"Make haste, Princess." One spoke. "Your transporter awaits." 

"Go, Luca." Yvette said, placing her hand on her shoulder, having stood up when the guards entered. The girl glanced at her trunks. "They'll be travelling with us." Her maid said, noticing her unease. "The Empire wil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter