The Restraints, The Giants

Protect Me From What I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Arrows cut through the air like lightning. Luca met Luhan's eyes, halfway across the bridge. Whiiiz. The villager behind him was pierced, tipping over the side of the bridge and leaving it violently rocking. Xiumin was still on the other side.

It was happening too quickly, and there was no way to get the remaining princes across. Luckily, none of them had gotten hit, but all the villagers were down. Wait, what? 

Luhan had stabilized the bridge with his powers and was turning back for his brother. Tao grabbed Lucia's arm. "We have to take cover." He yelled.

"Take cover from what?" She asked, yanking her arm out from his grip. "Luhan!" She shouted, running back onto the bridge. The arrows had stopped.

"Luciana!" Tao called out behind her. 

Across the river, Xiumin was surrounded, but even Luhan didn't seem to know what to do; their assailants were just standing still. Their weapons were out and aimed, but firmly gripped in their hands. Lucy made it to the other side, Tao hot on her heels.

"Stay behind me." He growled, pushing in front of her.

"They're not attacking." She reminded him, but still obeyed.

Xiumin said something in the island tongue, a man replied. He glanced at Luhan, then at Tao and Luca. The man spoke again, signaling at the jungle. Luhan answered this time, his tone rough. Aggressive. The crowd of flesheaters stirred. Xiumin stepped in to calm them down.

"Brother." Chen warned, apparently disliking the direction the conversation was heading in. 

But Xiumin ignored him. After a few exchanges, he turned to them, looking straight at Lux, the only one oblivious to what had happened.

"We will follow them back to their settlement."

"What?" She asked, surprised. "Do you trust them?"

"We don't have a choice." He replied.

As they walked between the crowd of tribal people, Luca noted their scars, their cropped locks, and their scant clothing. All the better when fighting, she thought. The path was visible through the trees, as if it had been walked for years, thousands of times. Their settlement didn't seem to need leading to.

"Do they not care if we know where their camp is?" She asked Tao, who was walking close besides her.

"I don't think they fear intruders." He replied, eyes firmly glued on the people around them, body tense. "Rather, they welcome them."

The re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter