The Village, The Spirits

Protect Me From What I Want
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"There's," Lucy paused. "A lot of girls here." 

Kai shrugged, setting down another bundle of supplies. "There's a lot of boys, too. They're just out with their fathers fishing or something." He straightened up and saw her staring after a pair of small girls heading for the fields. He sighed. She turned to him.

"What?" 

"Nothing." He laughed, his eyes crinkling at the edges. "We've just got so much work to do." 

"Right." She gave a humorless chuckle. "They're all pretty calm for people who are being terrorized by demons." 

"Well, demons don't come out during the day." He replied.

She turned to look at the sun, low in the sky, he stared at the back of her neck. When she met his eyes again, they were smoldering. "It's hardly midday."

"They'll be going in soon." He looked away, grabbing a nearby box, continuing his stacking. 

"Will we be staying out?" She asked, watching him.

"Probably not us." Sweat built up on his brow, he wiped it off. 

"Then, who?"

"Baekhyun, Luhan." He trailed off.

A soft wind ruffled the bottom of her robes, the hair on the top of his head. The day light was turning orange, red.

"I thought Luhan didn't believe in magic." Luca objected, taking a seat on a boulder nearby, her gaze dropping to the earth beneath them. She started looking for stones, bored.

"I don't think any of us can not believe in magic. He doubts pontianak and toyol, though. He will soon be proven wrong." Lucia perked up at his tone of voice.

"You say that with a certain pleasure." She studied his face.

"My brothers are arrogant. There is pleasure in checking their egos." He stopped, stretching his back. 

"And you are not?" A drop of sweat dripped off of his jaw, his clothes were clinging to his back with sweat.

He met her gaze. "No." 

"Luca!" Sehun's voice cut through the air as he stomped towards them. She turned her head to look at him. "We've been looking for you everywhere, geez. Why didn't you tell us you were leaving first?" It was a rhetorical question, his hand shot out and grabbed her wrist before she had a chance to answer.

She answered anyway, as he pulled her along. "I didn't know I was supposed to report to you, Sehun." 

"Where are you taking her?" Kai asked, slightly annoyed. 

Lucia saw Sehun scowl. "Cahaya Kecil is asking about her."<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter