Luna

Impossible Loves

A.N. Kind of a weird chapter compared to the others~ but i finally know where I'm going with this story.  I hope you enjoy it!


 

Luna laid in bed, eyes closed, in only her underwear and an oversized cream sweater the school provided for her.  She would’ve felt exposed if her roommates were in the room. But the bedroom was empty, her roommates leaving for dinner after prompting Luna to join them without very much success on their part.

Instead a bottle of cheap vodka, she managed to sneak into her room, rested in her right palm. She liked to drink.  She didn’t care if she was throwing her dignity out the small balcony. The door was closed, and she needed something to make her feel herself. Something she hasn’t felt in a while.

The last time Luna was happy was when her twin was by her side, but she knew that happiness would never come back. She hated being reminded of her sister, but the vodka impaired her from thinking otherwise. 

Her sister is sick and there is nothing Luna could do about it.  

She would smack that bottle out of your hand if she saw you now.

Luna giggled at the thought, but her giggle faded into a deep frown.  Why would her sister do such a thing? That would be such a waste of good alcohol. She brought the bottle to her lips once again.  She wished for something stronger. 

It’s been two weeks since she walked in on Amber and Soojung. She wasn’t stupid, she knew what occurred in this room.  She could see it on Soojung’s swollen pink lips and Amber’s rustled hair.  What bothered her most is she had no idea what exactly happened in this room, or what brought it on?

Luna wanted to believe that they were only going through Amber’s notes, but she knows how Amber gets anxious whenever people ask to read them.  She witnessed her other roommate ask Amber if she could sneak a peak of what she was writing.  Amber chewed on her fingernails, shaking her head and closed her notebook.

Ever since that day, Soojung has been awkwardly avoiding Luna at every cost.  Luna didn’t like it one bit. She had accepted Soojung’s apology, so why was she avoiding her?

Amber on the other hand seemed to get closer to their group of friends, almost leaving Luna out of every conversation.  Victoria had noticed too, and pulled Luna away asking if she was okay.

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

“You have bags under your eyes. You’re not engaging in any conversation. I don’t know, something seems off.”

“I’m fine! Do you want me to prove it to you?”

Luna gave Victoria her best smile, her eyes resembled two crescent moons, her hands forming into two thumbs up. She shook them up and down with enthusiasm. Victoria didn’t seem totally convinced, crossing her arms, and frowning at the junior for her sad attempt at pretending to be happy.

“Luna, are you done ing around?”

What happened to me? Luna thought.

She used to be in optimistic, happy go lucky kid, who had a bright future ahead of her. And here she sits, pitying herself over some stupid crush.

It’s not a crush… It’s not. Why am I drinking again?

Luna was in hopeless denial.  She did like Amber, but she wasn’t drinking because of her.  She drinking because she knew her life is crumbling.  She knew it was a difficult age to live in, and she knew things were going to get worse.

Her optimistic self, would tell Luna to get a hold of herself.  She would slap her across the face and make Luna face reality, and just live.

Luna groaned to herself, placing the cap back on the bottle, “I-I’m stupid… I should be-be… Studying… N-not… being stupi…”

Luna fell asleep before she finished her sentence, the alcohol making her realize how tired she was. The bottle rolled underneath her bed, away from anybody’s view, as she shifted her body for comfort.

Her dream was majestic.  Luna and her twin sat on two thrones, one yellow, and the other orange.  They ruled the palace, no knight, no king or queen, could take their crowns away from them even if they tried.

She blinked and she was running away. She didn’t know where she was or how she got here but whatever it was that was running after her was close, she could sense it.  She knew it was the end, but she didn’t give up.  Her legs were strong and her imposing behavior told her to keep running.

Soon her knees were giving out and she tripped over her long dress.  She yelled for her sister, but the roaring of the beast overlapped her scream for help.  She felt the steps of the demon approach her at a dangerously fast speed.

She hugged her knee’s tightly to herself, chanting apologizes for everyone she had hurt on her path to success. She hugged her knees and began to cry.

She was going to die heartbroken, upset, broken, but thankful. Thankful she got the opportunity to love her friends and be loved by them. Thankful she got to be beside her sister once again.

This is the end. She thought. Where is my savior? Amber, Victoria, Soojung, Sul-

She was suddenly woken up by two arms shaking her.

“Luna? Luna! Please wake up!”

“What do we do if she doesn’t wake up?”

“She’ll wake up! Luna! Luna! Wake up before someone hears us, please?”

Luna slowly opened her eyes. She smiled and loosely wrapped her arms around her savior. She kissed the girl’s soft cheek.

Her savior smelled like rosemary and jasmine.  Luna shamelessly buried her nose in the girl’s hair.

“I knew.” Hiccup. “It would.” Hiccup. “Be you.” Hiccup “Thank you.” Hiccup. “For.” Hiccup. “Saving me.”

“Oh my god!” The girl sobbed hugging Luna tightly back. “Luna, don’t ever do that again! You scared the hell out of me!”

Luna pulled the girl away from her to glace at her savior. The girl’s perfect make-up was running down her face. Luna frowned, using the tips of her fingers to wipe the tears from the girl’s eyes.

“Sulli?” Hiccup. “Why are you? “ Hiccup. “Crying?” Hiccup.

Sulli pulled Luna back into her chest and squeezed her body tight against her own. Her tears getting into Luna’s precious, fading, blue hair.

“Luna,” She cried. “You’ve been asleep for almost two days, I thought… I t-thought…”

Two days? Luna’s ears perked up and she felt a stirring in her body making her slightly nauseated. It was a mixture of the vodka and no food for the past 48 hours.

“Luna, what were you thinking? You can’t be so reckless! It hurts the people around you!”

“I’m sorry.” Hiccup.

Sulli sniffled, “We love you so much Luna! You’re too beautiful, sweet, smart, and talented. Do you understand?”

“Sulli?” She whispered managing to get out of Sulli’s embrace.

“Yeah?”

She glanced behind her savior.  Her roommates stood there like statues staring at the scene in front of them. Luna could see the mixture of fear and relief their eyes. 

She opened to apologize to her suitemates, but her stomach stirred again.

“I need to throw up.”