Amber

Impossible Loves

“Hyung! Buy me something to eat!”

“Does it look like I’m made of money?”

“You bought Luna food.” Sulli pouted rubbing her hands together.

Snow had finally made its appearance, covering the once green land into a winter paradise.  It covered the two girls, who still refused to wear pants despite the harsh climate, head to toe in whimsical snowflakes.

They were on their way to the library to meet up with Luna, Soojung, and Richie for a study session.  They invited Victoria who simply refused opting to stay in her room and clean up.

“Aren’t you on a diet or something?” Amber reminded sliding against the slush covered sidewalk.

“Just because I’m on a diet doesn’t mean I can’t eat.” Sulli grimaced. Amber rolled her eyes.

She didn’t understand why someone as skinny as Sulli would want to diet in the first place.  Sulli is a perfectly healthy teenage girl, but Amber understood that everyone has their own insecurities.

“I’ll buy you something after our study sess okay?”

“Yay!” Sulli cheered jumping on Ambers back.

Amber lost her balance from Sulli’s attack, and fell into the white powder laughing.

“Ah, Amber!” Sulli shouted picking herself up and dusted the snow off her pale legs. “I-I’m so c-c-cold.”

Amber’s laugh boomed as she followed suit, “We wouldn’t have fell if you didn’t push me over!”

Sulli gave Amber the evil eye, before pushing Amber back into the snow and running away.

“Yah!” Amber yelled surprised by Sulli’s second attack, but she couldn’t help but chuckle.

She really thought of Sulli as her younger sister from another mister.  Even though they both have their fair share of siblings they still treat each other as if they were actual siblings, joking around, playful pushes, and innocent arguments. But, every so often, they took care of each other. It didn’t matter whether they were giving one another advice and or giving one another a noogie, they were still close or closer than most siblings.

Amber stood up, shaking the snow off of her, when she heard a giggle emerging from behind her.

“You’re always happy aren’t you?” Amber mocked as she swiveled facing the giggling girl.

“I’m so sorry.  You just looked so cute in the snow.”

Amber blushed rubbing the back of her neck, “Can’t help it.”

“I see you haven’t changed either. You’re still condescending.”

Amber shrugged changing the subject, “Where you headed?”

“Library. You?”

“What a coincidence. I was just on my way to the library too. Want to walk together?”

This time the girl blushed looking down, “Yeah.”

“What? Why are you blushing?”

The girl coughed into her blue mittens, “I wasn’t.”

Okay.” Amber said sarcastically.

“I wasn’t!” The girl defended.

“You haven’t changed either, Teddy.” Amber grinned shaking her head.  She shoved her hands inside her plush jacket that her mother had sent her from home. She began walking towards the library with the blushing girl following close behind.

“You… remembered?”

“Excuse me?” Amber asked peering behind her at the disheveled girl.

“My nickname.” The girl answered after some few minutes.

“How could I forget?” Amber dismissed.

How could she?  How could Amber forget all the memories?  Sure she despised most of them as a child, but as she looks back on them now as a sixteen year old, they weren’t that bad.  Some things still irked her till this day, but this girl who trailed behind her never stopped smiling.

Seulgi had never, ever, let her smile falter.

Amber had only seen true sadness consume the sophomore twice. 

The first time, Amber was playing an antique grand piano, her mother had bought for charity, in the living room. Seulgi played quietly with her newest Barbie doll on chair nearby.   She was twelve, Amber thirteen. 

Claude Debussy’s ‘Clair De Lune’ echoed against the halls, chatter from the adults could be heard from the distance.  It was abruptly stopped when a small hand cupped Amber’s ear and whispered, “We’re getting married.”

Amber shoved the girl into the marble flooring, causing the younger to cry until the parents came to check what the ruckus was about.

The second time, Amber had revealed to Seulgi that she was leaving to boarding school.  She ranted on and on about how they couldn’t be together.  Seulgi deserved to be with a person who truly loved her and see the teddy bear Amber had grown up with.

They reached the library just as the air became chillier, shrugging off their jackets, and hanging them up on a coat rack. Amber led the way to a table for six filled with her closest friends and classmates.

“Hey, you two.” Luna smiled greeting both girls. To her right was Richie and across from her Soojung sat with her nose jammed into her textbook. Sulli was sitting to her left sticking out her tongue at Amber.

“Good to see that you haven't gotten your tongue pierced yet.” Amber joked pointing at Sulli’s tongue. Sulli cracked a smile, shaking her head back and forth in disbelief.

“Oh, and you brought Seulgi.” Richie addressed motioning to the sophomore. Amber nodded taking a seat across from Sulli.

“I just needed to pick up a few books for English.” Seulgi informed. 

“Why don’t you stay and study with us? You can sit between Soojungie and Hyung.” Sulli insisted gesturing to the empty seat across from Luna.

“You guys are too noisy,” Soojung muttered catching the attention from all the girls.

The girls watched in confusion as Soojung gathered her things and left the library.

“What crawled up her ?” Richie seethed.

“That’s weird.” Sulli murmured, “I’ve never seen Soojung leave this library without saying goodbye to Mrs. Stein.”  

“Sulli’s right.  She is acting weirder than usual.” Seulgi agreed glancing back at the entrance. “Maybe I should go see if she’s alright?”

“Let’s not worry about it too much,” Luna beamed opening her textbook. “She is probably just annoyed that we were talking instead of studying.

“Maybe, it’s because Seulgi won’t tell her who her fiancé is.” Sulli guessed opening her own textbook.

“Hmm?” Seulgi thought. “I swear I told her who it was.”

“You did?” Amber asked cautiously trying to stay calm so her friends wouldn’t notice her hesitation.

“Come to think of it… I don’t think I did.”

“Good.” Amber wiping the invisible sweat off her forehead.


A/N: It's snowing where I live and it has became a winter wonderland! (sorry Thanksgiving, but this snow has got me in a festive Christmas mood) Is it snowing where you live?? Leave a comment/review and sub and i'll make the next chapter extra cuddly and warm for your pleasure! You all deserve it after all :)!