Amber

Impossible Loves

The sky was an unusually clear for the middle of the fall.  The sun peeked out behind white clouds, but the temperature was warm.

Fall was always Amber’s favorite season.  She loved warm sweaters and cups of her favorite candy cane flavored hot chocolate.  She hasn’t had a cup since she was at home last year during Christmas and she missed the taste.

Students are allowed to leave the school during major holidays -depending on their religion and culture- and spend it with their families back home.

Amber was supposed to be cleaning her room. Instead, she was lamenting the terrible state of humanity and the dreadful black abyss of torture so erroneously named school.She laid in the garden lead by a rocky road five miles away from the dorms. Red roses, white Zinnias, and long green ferns hid Amber’s small body. Nobody visits it anymore, besides Amber who had taken the responsibility of it.

She doesn’t know why she came back.  Her parents offered to send her to another private school in the New York City area, but she bluntly refused. It was like her head was telling her to stay, almost as though she liked it here.

Amber scoffed, I hate it here.

Her thoughts shifted to what happened at lunch and she exhaled a deep sigh.  She knew that Luna secretly admired her for a reason that was purely unexplainable. She has an urge to look after Luna as if she was her blood. Her blood boiled when the blonde girl teased Luna about it.  She liked Krystal but she didn’t like all of the attention on her roommate who only admired as a younger sister would to an older one.

The teasing had an innocent intent but all Amber wanted to do was protect Luna at that moment.

“Hyung?” Sulli called poking out from the tall grass. She startled Amber who abruptly stood up thinking she’s been caught ditching class on the first day.

“Oh! It’s you.” Amber gasped holding her chest.  Sulli laughed at Amber and Amber laughed along scratching the back of her neck in embarrassment.

Amber has a past of ditching classes, often sent to the principal’s office and sentenced multiple days in detention because of it.

“Hyung huh?” Amber asked as their laughter died down.

“What? Do you not like it? I thought since you remind me of an older brother-“

“I’m a girl.”

“I know, I know, but think of it as me your little brother.” Sulli smiled crawling and sitting beside Amber.

“Little? You’re taller than me by at least five inches.”

“True. It’s just… the way you defended Luna today reminded me of my older brothers.” She shrugged picking the grass.

“How did you find me?”

“I followed you.” She snickered.

Amber was really interested in Sulli. Sulli had such a head-strong aura about herself that made Amber look and feel insecure. Amber shook her head, “Sophomores shouldn’t be skipping their first day classes.”

“But it was so boooring,” Sulli pouted.

Amber sighed and laid down with her arms behind her head, “Thanks.”

“What for?” Sulli asked turning to look Amber in the eyes.

Amber breath hitched. Sulli truly looked like an angel from this angel.  The sun was shining bright making it look like Sulli had a gold aura beaming from her skin. Amber coughed clearing her suddenly dry throat, “F-for breaking the tension in the lunchroom today.”

“No problem.” Sulli paused for a moment.  “Krystal was only joking. If it wasn’t in a joking matter I don’t think Victoria and I would’ve played along. I don’t think she expected you to defend Luna like that. We all didn’t.”

“I didn’t mean to blow up on her… I should really apologize,” Amber said breaking eye contact with the brunette.

“I think the both of you should apologize.  You were both a bit childish.”

“We were weren’t we?” Amber agreed.

“I honestly never thought I would sitting here defending Krystal, but she is my roommate and I know she would be ranting about this all night.”

“Sounds kind of like Luna.” Amber chuckled.

“Speaking of Luna… I don’t know much about your past, this only being my first year here, but whatever happened between you two is really over huh?”

Amber grinned, “Yeah. I hope so.”

“Good. I’m glad. You two are too cute to be fighting.” Sulli stood up and reached her hand out. “Come on, let me walk you to class this time.”

Amber’s last class had her two favorite things, music and writing.  Her mother being an avid piano and violin player encouraged Amber to follow in her footsteps and seek a career in music.  Her parents didn’t mind as she was the last child to an older sister who had become a successful lawyer in California.

Amber took her usual seat near the back of the classroom and waited for the bell to ring. A piece of paper was on her desk and it read: INTRODUCE YOURSELF.

Amber rolled her eyes, she hated these “get to know you” papers.  She already knew everyone in her classes having a wide network of friends and acquaintances. That was until a group of sophomores strolled into the classroom.

She identified Krystal amongst the students chatting with a leggy black haired Victoria.  Victoria stopped by the door as the bell rang and waved goodbye to Krystal.  Krystal waved back and looked around the room.  Their eyes met and Amber pointed at the empty seat next to her.

Krystal walked towards it and took her seat.  The air between the two was awkward.

“Sorry-“

“I’m Sorry-“

Amber let out a breathy chuckle, “You were only joking, I get it. No grudges held.”

“Really?”

Amber nodded reassuring the younger girl. The teacher began her class writing on the chalk board instruction them to fill out their papers and present them to the class in fifteen minutes.

“I hate these.” Krystal muttered. Amber hummed in agreement but filled out her paper nonetheless.

The teacher called them down in alphabetical order fifteen minutes later. Students stood up, one by one, in front of the class and introduced themselves. Most of them robotically read what they wrote down on their papers.

“Jung Soojung.” The teacher called. Amber watched as Krystal strutted confidently in front of the class and began her introduction.

“Hello, I’m Jung Soojung, or … Krystal. I’m in my 1st year. Please take care of me well.”

The class chanted, “Hello, Jung Soojung.”

Amber raised her eyebrow at Krystal’s short introduction. Krystal was so lively when she was talking to her or the other four girls. As if she was staring at a whole different girl. Interesting.


A.N. Yep, this was Amber's chapter. Sorry if it's a little short, I've been busy with my part time job! But I have half of Krystal's chapter written. Again thanks for the support, you guys are super amazing! Sub and Review please~