Chapter 3

Guardian Angel

“Do you only want me because I’ll probably save your life in a few days?” I asked Hyorin who was still awake. I was sitting on the little couch in her room. She had an awesome room with a bed, a couch, some closets, a bureau, a few posters of boygroups and horses,… a typical girl room. “Of course I don’t want to die, but since I got to know you more this evening.” “It’s already night.” I said. “I really like you and you’re right. I’m alone and you’re alone. We’ll better be alone together.” She said. I could almost see her smile  in the dark. “Are you not going to sleep?” I asked as I saw her eyes still shining. “I just wonder if angels also sleep.” She said. “I can tell you, we have to sleep. I mean, how would we be able to save people if we’re tired or hungry, we don’t need much sleep and we only eat once a year and we’re still not hungry when we get it. I only have heard that. I’m not an old angel. I’m just a few months old. I wonder how it is to feel hungry.” I said. Hyorin laughed. “Don’t laugh, I’m serious.” I yelled. “Just sleep, you little angel, you’re sleepdrunk.” She giggled. “I’m not! I only didn’t sleep last night because of you.” I said. “Wae?” She asked. “I got nervous for my first person.” I whispered. “You must be the most unique angel I’ve ever seen.” She laughed. “Have you ever seen another one?” I asked. “Yes.” She laughed. “Who? What’s her or his name? Maybe I know that angel.” I said. “Angels don’t have names you told me.” “I forgot. And actually I only know sunbae, so if you even told me how she looked, I wouldn’t know her personally.” I told her. “I’m talking about your sunbae. He’s more normal than you.” She giggled. “Ooooooh, he’s way older than me. He’s like the guardian angel of the guardian angels. You like him, don’t you.” I smiled. She liked sunbae, she liked sunbae! “No! I don’t. Goodnight.” she shouted so loud that I was scared her parents would wake up.  “Okay. Goodnight.” I said and laid myself down. She defiantly liked him.

“Morning! Morning! Morning!”  I sang as I jumped on Hyorins bed. She turned around. “Do you know how early it is?” she growled. “5 hours 45 minutes and 23, 24, 25, 26,…” “Okay just stop counting the seconds.” She yelled. “I have to be at school in about 2 hours and a half, so just let me sleep for one more hour and then I’ll wake up without any problems. Just one hour.” She said and fell asleep again. Or I thought she fell asleep. Maybe I better get some sleep too. I have to be wide awake to help Hyorin. But I couldn’t sleep. Going outside for a few minutes wouldn’t be so bad. I opened the window and jumped down. I skipped to the street. Hyorin lived near a busy road but this time of the day it was pretty calm. I looked around. There were just a few cars on the road and they probably weren’t paying attention to me. Wait, was that the guy I saw yesterday? I stared at him. He looked my way and smiled at me. Now I sure. He saw me. Was he an angel just like me? “Yah!” I shouted. He laughed and kept walking. Do I have to follow him? But I couldn’t get too far away from Hyorin. “Just a minute.” I muttered and crossed the street. Without looking. “Watch out!” the boy shouted and ran to me. I felt his arms around me. The next moment we were sitting on the roadside. “It seems like I have to save you again.” He said. “What do you mean?” I asked. Completely not understanding it. “I had to know you wouldn’t understand it.” He smiled. “I saved you a year ago. But you won’t remember that. Since you died a few months ago.” He said. “Wait. Wait. Wait. WHAT?” I shouted. I kept laughing.  “Yah I’m serious.” “Just go to your human, she’ll be worried if you’re not there.” He said. “But, I want to know how you know I died a few months ago. And you told me you saved me. Who are you?” I asked. “Someone you’ll hear a lot about.” He said, stood up and left. “Stop! I want an explanation!” I shouted but he didn’t hear me. Or did like he didn’t hear me. I wondered how he could see me. I mean only other angels and my human could see me. But what was wrong with him? I sighted.  Maybe it was indeed better to return to my human. I crossed the street, this time I looked. Why did he save me actually? It was not like I could die twice. Maybe he didn’t know I was an angel, since could see me. I flew to Hyorins window again. That guy was driving me crazy.