Chapter 8: The Proposal

One Year Later... (Sequel story of ...Can We?)

 

"A man reserves his true and deepest love not for the species of woman in whose company he finds himself electrified and enkindled, but for that one in whose company he may feel tenderly drowsy."

 ~George Jean Nathan

 

 

 

_________________________________________________

 

 

 

Donghae’s POV:

 

It was 7 in the evening. I was on my way to fetch Jessica in her work.

 

I was feeling excited and nervous at the same time. I couldn’t explain what’s the feeling I‘ve experiencing.

 

“I can do this! I can do this!” I was cheering myself up like a crazy.

 

While cheering myself up, I decided to send Jessica a message saying:

 

Pretty Sica, I will wait for you outside the office. Let’s have a dinner. It’s my treat!

 

After five minutes, I saw Jessica in the escalator, smiling happily.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

I glanced at the clock and it read 7pm. I was so stressed out because of too much work when a text from Donghae cheered me up.

 

“Pretty Sica, I will wait for you outside the office. Let’s have a dinner. It’s my treat!”

 

“Dinner?” I murmured.

 

I should not make him to wait too long outside coz when it gets dark the temperature gets colder. So, I gathered my things and leave my office.

 

I was feeling happy because after a long year, it’s just now that we’ll be having a dinner for two.

 

I was smiling all the way when I saw Donghae standing outside our building. He waved at me. I walked hastily to reach him.

 

“Hey! Did you wait for me too long?” I asked him with concern.

 

“No. And it doesn’t matter if I waited too long or not.” He said cheerfully.

 

“Shall we go now? I’m feeling hungry.” I said touching my tummy.

 

“Okay. By the way, I brought my new car. I want to test it, so is it okay if we used my car?” he gladly said.

 

“It’s definitely okay since I’m feeling tired.”

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

Donghae’s POV:

 

I waved at her when I saw her looking at me. She was hastily walking towards me.

 

“Hey! Did you wait for me too long?” she asked with concerns in her voice.

 

“No. And it doesn’t matter if I waited too long or not.” I said cheerfully.

 

“Shall we go now? I’m feeling hungry?” she said touching her tummy.

 

“Okay. By the way, I brought my new car. I want to test it, so is it okay if we used my car?” I asked her gladly hoping she would agree.

 

“It’s definitely okay since I’m feeling tired.” She said shortly.

 

I was so happy when she agreed to me. I hold her hand and helped her to enter the car.

 

“Thank you.” she said and placed a small smile on her face. I nodded in response.

 

Jessica didn’t utter a word. I just kept my eyes on her, examining every feature of her face. Looking at her expression she seems so tired.

 

I didn’t even bother to talk to her, since I’m so nervous what will happen that night. I was hoping everything would turn out according to my plan. I was saying my prayers all the way.

 

The trip was too silent.

 

;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;

 

When we reached the restaurant, I told her that I’ll put blindfold in her eyes.

 

“It seems like there’s surprises waiting for me.” she mumbled as I placed the blindfold.

 

“Let’s see if this would surprise you.” I replied.

 

I placed my both hands to her shoulder as I was standing behind and helped her walk. She was so silent. I didn’t know what she was thinking that time.

 

After a 10-minute walk, we reached the place. As I slowly removed the blindfold and I saw felicity in her eyes—the felicity I’ve longing for to see.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

Author’s POV:

 

Donghae brought Jessica in one of the famous restaurant in town. The place he chose was near in the gazebos accentuated with bright lights and green veins that makes it looks like way back in times of Greeks. Petals of different colours of roses were scattered on the red carpeted pathways. The place was really peaceful as still waters are flowing freely that makes soothing sounds that will relax your mood—a really perfect place to propose.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

As Donghae slowly pulled away the blindfold, my eyes are mesmerized to what it saw. The beauty of the place really captured my eyes; my heart is jumping with so much glee.

 

“How come Donghae found such wonderful place like this?” I thought to myself.

 

He grasps my hand then walked languidly, enjoying every step. It had been a long time after the last surprise he planned for me. And though it stopped for a while, he still never fails to surprise me. He’s such a man with too many surprises in his mind.

 

“Do you like it?” he asked me as he glanced at me once.

 

“Yes. And you never fail to surprise me.” I said as I glanced back to him smiling.

 

“I’m the man full of surprises.” He said laughing.

 

I didn’t response and disagree to him since it’s obviously true.

 

We got to the table he reserved for us. The setting was really elegant.

 

A sweet dinner for two.

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

Donghae’s POV:

 

I slowly pulled the blindfold away from his eyes to make some suspense. Her eyes glittered and mesmerized to what she saw.

 

The place can really took your breath away.

 

We started walking, enjoying every step. It’s been a long time since I surprised the person I only love and I missed doing this kind of stuff for her.

 

“And my mind is really good for thinking such thing and she’s grateful for that.” I whispered to myself.

 

I glanced at her and asked, ”Do you like it?”

 

“Yes. And you never fail to surprise me.” she said glancing back at me.

 

“I’m the man full of surprises.” I said laughingly.

 

She didn’t respond to what I said, maybe it’s her way of agreeing to me. And I’m thankful that she didn’t disagree.

 

We reached our table. I was in awe when I noticed the table setting done elegantly.

 

My sweet proposal to come.

 

 

Inside the cake is my lifetime pledge to you

The sweetness of love that’s only for you

This ring that symbolizes oneness of lovers

Accept and wear this as a sign of our forever

This heart of mine beats only for you

Take me to be with you.

 

 

 

Author’s POV:

 

The way to woman’s heart is sweets. Let’s see if that’s true. . .

 

 

 

They’re almost done to their courses of meal except for the dessert—the much awaited cake.

 

As Jessica look on the cake served by the waiter, she’s delighted with the mouth-watering appearance of the cake.

 

Jessica clapped her hands. “Can I start eating now?” she excitedly said.

 

Donghae whose eyes pasted on Jessica just nodded in rejoinder. His heart is pumping unstoppable. He’s crossing his fingers under the table. He’s feeling uneasy. But he tried to hide his emotion of ambivalence.

 

Jessica was happily eating on she’s halfway when she noticed something sparkling inside. She picked it up slowly. She found out it was a ring. Her eyes grew wide.

 

He stood up and gently grabbed the ring from Jessica. He kneeled on one knee in front of the woman she loves.

 

“Pretty Sica, I know this is too early to do. But I couldn’t go on anymore with my life if I will wake up one more day without you. I’m running out of idea to prove to you how much you mean to me, how much I cared for you, how much I wanted to be with you, how much I wanted to love you all my life. The dream I told you before, I wanted to realize it with you by my side.” he started to confess.

 

 

Jessica was still in cloud nine and speechless. Though she’s still horrified, she heard clearly what’s coming out from Donghae’s mouth.

 

“I know this is so sudden, but you can still think of it. I can wait for your answer.” His voice sounded edgy.

 

 “Answer? You didn’t even ask me?” she said pretending she’s clueless. But she already has her answer.

 

He ruffled his hair, his nervousness slowly eating him without his knowing. “I’m sorry. This first time thing is driving me out of my mind.” He inhaled deeply. “Well...Uhm...Ah...”

 

“What?” she interrupted adding pressure his shoulder.

 

Donghae grasped air again to release the tension enveloping his voice, making it shaky. “Will you be my bride, my wife and mother to my children? Will you marry me?” he asked as he held the ring upright in front of Jessica.

 

Cold breeze whistled in the middle of the silent night. Their hearts made sounds they could only understands. Their eyes saying words they could only make sense.

 

Tears started to occupy her eyes.

 

“Why are you crying?” he asked with care.

 

“I’m crying because of overflowing happiness.” She said as she wiped her tears.

 

“What do you mean?” >totally clueless<

 

 

As I say YES to you

I promise to love you

To stay true to you

My whole life beside you

 

 

“What I mean is yes. I’m saying yes to you. I want to spend my whole life with you.” She said happily and s her hands around his neck for embrace.

 

Donghae placed the ring in Jessica’s finger, embraced her like the first time. They stood up. He spun her around.

 

Scents of happiness and love mixed the cold breeze, made it warm.

 

Their lips slowly touched each others—a hungered and passionate kiss.

 

 

A night sealed with kisses.

 

 

__________________________________________________