Chapter 5: Forgive and Forget

One Year Later... (Sequel story of ...Can We?)

 

 

 

“Forgiveness is the fragrance the flower leaves on the heel of the one who crushed it.”

-David Jeremiah

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

 

I was about to enter the Korean restaurant when I bumped into someone. I’m a bit reckless, am not I?

 

 

I lifted my face to the person I got hit. As I saw the familiar image of a man, I felt the hard throbbing of my chest as if my heart is going to pop out.

 

My knees are shaking. I felt the cold sweats running down my forehead.

 

 

“I didn’t expect this.” I mumbled as nervousness creeps in.

 

 

I didn’t know what to feel. My body stiffens as I heard him say, “I expect this.”

 

 

Those words are like fertilizers to my heart. All this time, is he really expecting to see me in amidst of billions of people?

 

 

All I did is to stare at him in the eye. I’m totally speechless.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Donghae’s POV:

 

 

I was about to get in the Korean restaurant that caught my attention when I bumped a pretty woman. It seems like my senses is not doing well since my stomach is empty.

 

 

I adjusted my eyes to what I’m seeing. The woman I’m looking for a year and so is standing right in front of me. I felt a curve formed in my face. I didn’t notice I’m smiling all the time.

 

 

“I expect this.” I uttered while glee is invading me.

 

 

But while I’m savouring the sweetest delight I have, I perceived the mixed feelings prevailing in here entire appearance. The smile suddenly fades away.

 

 

“I didn’t expect this.” She mumbled but I pretended I didn’t hear anything. She was totally startled.

 

 

“Jessica, are you alright?” I asked her.

 

 

“Ye...yes, I’m fine.” she replied stammering.

 

 

“Uh...since it’s lunch, is it okay if I join you?” I said.

 

 

 Silence intervened in us. I’m crossing my fingers behind my back, wishing she’ll say “Yes”.

 

 

“Jessica, is it okay?” I repeated coz I think she hardly heard.

 

 

“Yes, it’s okay. I’m fed up to eat alone every meal.” She said placing a smile on her cute lips.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

 

I saw him smiling after a long time. My heart fluttered as his smile with so much hope in it. My feelings that I couldn’t fathom awhile ago, disappears little by little. Everything in me backed to normal now.

 

 

I wondered why his smile suddenly gone. His glued on me, as if he’s looking for something he didn’t see.

 

 

He asked me if “I’m alright”, then I said stammering, “Yes, I’m fine.” My heart started to skip again unstoppable. I didn’t know why it’s beating like this.

 

 

“Uh...since it’s lunch, is it okay if I join you?” he said.

 

 

I’m shocked so I didn’t response quickly. I saw him crossing his fingers behind his back. I know he’s wishing to join me for lunch, so I said “Yes” and smile at him.

 

 

I granted it as a favour since we seldom ate lunch together way back when we’re a couple.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

Author’s POV:

 

 

They entered the restaurant feeling uncomfortable towards each other. They found an only one vacant table for two near the window, over viewing the beautiful scenery outside.

 

 

Donghae pulled the chair to let her seat first, and then he let himself to seat too, facing her. He stared at Jessica whose woolgathering outside, enjoying the scenery. Her face has no traces of worries or problems, it’s obviously serene.

 

 

“How’s your life living alone here?” he asked breaking the wall of deafening silence between them.

 

 

Jessica turned his sight to him and answered, “Its fine. At first, it’s very hard. I feel so homesick, but after sometime, I got used to here.” She said calmly.

 

 

“That’s great! Uhm...what makes you busy here?” he asked again while leaning his back on the chair.

 

 

“I’m currently working in one of the famous clothing line here. I’m one of a design reviewer. And you, what’re you doing here?” she asked back and grinned.

 

 

He dumbfounded. He lost for words. He didn’t expect Jessica would ask him about it. He stared at nothingness.

 

 

“I think you didn’t want to answer it.” She added.

 

 

“Ah...Uhm...I just didn’t know how and what to say.” He said stammering.

 

 

“Well, if you’re not ready to say it, I won’t force you. If you want to keep it by yourself again, it’s definitely fine with me.” she said in terse.

 

 

With those words that he heard seemed like cold water poured down his entire body. Memories of what he did before flashing back to his mind.

 

 

“I get what you mean, but don’t think I’m a furtive person.” He defended himself.

 

 

“If not, then why you didn’t tell me ahead of time, you let me caught you in the act?” she said bringing up the past.

 

 

He surprised. It didn’t cross his mind—that Jessica would bring up the past at this very early of the conversation.

 

 

“Honestly, that day, I have the plan to tell you everything. But luck isn’t not by my side, so you caught us up. I tried to explain but you didn’t give me time. I tried to have your ears to listen to me just for a minute but you didn’t lend me one.” He explained looking deeply into her eyes, proving that he’s serious about the topic.

 

 

Jessica pondered on Donghae’s words for a second. I’m sorry about that. I didn’t know I didn’t let you explain.” Her voice sounds really apologetic.

 

 

 

Way back that day,

Sorry is all I could say

That word is scanty,

To forgive my stupidity

I let you suffer the entirety.

And today like that day,

Sorry is still the word I could say,

For emptying your heart

And causing you so much pain.

 

 

He cleared his throat. “No, it’s not you who’s sorry, it’s me. All this time, I’m suffering from my sin, for betraying you, for keeping away the truth, for hurting you. It’s me who’s really sorry. I’m so sorry.” He said with a pinch of remorse in his voice.

 

 

 

 

That day forgiveness is all you want,

But my mind and heart couldn't do that

Coz hurt is too much to bear inside

That I couldn’t think and decide

And today forgiveness is still you want,

Now, that day and today is different

Coz I'm ready to give what you grant

It’s forgiveness coming from my heart.

 

 

Feeling Donghae’s suffering pierced her heart. After a long time, tears occupied her eyes—like that day under the rain, the unstoppable tears like raindrops from the sky.

 

 

He took a deep breath. “If that tears is still indicative of pain I caused you, I willingly embrace if you couldn’t still accept my sorry. I could still bear this.” He’s voice is in pain.

 

 

“No, this is happy tears. I couldn’t let you suffer for more. If forgiveness is all you want, I’m forgiving you.” She said heartily.

 

 

“Really you’re forgiving me now?” he asked still couldn’t believe what he heard.

 

 

>wiping the tears< “Yes.” She replied briefly and wore a smile.

 

 

“Shall we eat now?” Donghae said vigorously changing the topic.

 

 

“Of course!” Jessica said with glee.

 

 

They ate together as what they did before—enjoying each other’s company after a long time of grief, sadness and amalgamation.

 

 

“Donghae-ah, forget what we had on past. Let’s start creating and collecting happy memories again.” she said cheerfully.

 

 

“That’s all I want—to make you happy again.” he agreed meaningfully.

 

 

__________________________________________________