Chapter 3: Under the Starry Sky

One Year Later... (Sequel story of ...Can We?)

 

"I'd rather have a lonely heart than a broken heart."

-Anonymous

 

 

_____________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

 

 

 

“Ah! This week is one of the tiring weeks. I did a lot of design reviewing.” >caressing pained nape<

 

 

 

Tomorrow is weekend and it’s time for me to take a whole day rest.  I have a lot of plan tomorrow night. I will go to the spa and pamper myself; afterwards, I will go to the mall to buy new pair of shoes and groceries.

 

 

 

“Should I call home tonight to say hello to Mom and Dad?” >Sitting at the edge of the bed taking a deep breath<

 

 

 

I was about to call Mom when I saw her number appeared on my phone screen.

 

 

 

 

*Phone Conversation between Jessica and her Mom:

 

 

“Hello Mom. How are you?” I joyously said.

 

 

“I and your Dad are doing great here. How about you there, honey?” Mom replied with traces of concern in her voice.

 

 

“I’m doing great, Mom. I just got home from work.” I said.

 

 

“That’s great. Don’t work too much. Take some time to rest.” Mom reminded me.

 

 

“Hmm.” I replied as I nodded my head.

 

 

“By the way, honey, did you ever meet him there?” Mom suddenly asked.

 

 

I’m shocked as what Mom told me.

 

 

“Hello, honey? Are you still there?” Mom said.

 

 

I didn’t bother to answer Mom though I heard her clearly on the other line.

 

 

“Hello, Jessica? Honey?” Mom repeated.

 

 

“Yes?” That’s all I said as I returned to my consciousness.

 

 

“Did you hear what I’m telling you a minute ago?” Mom asked again.

 

 

“Ye...yeah. Is that for real, Mom?” I asked again, sounded incredulous.

 

 

 “So, did you meet him? Or did you ever see him around?” Mom asked quickly.

 

 

“You’re sounded very hopeful, Mom. But unfortunately, our path didn’t cross here in Europe.” I answered in a tender voice.

 

 

“Is that so? Well, he’s been there for a year like you did.” Mom explained.

 

 

I’m totally dropping jaw in surprise. ‘Did I hear it right?’ I asked myself.

 

 

“Ho...How come he’s been here for a year? What is he doing here in that span of time?” I asked curiously.

 

 

“In all honesty, honey, I didn’t even know. It was his Dad who told me about it. But I didn’t tell you since I thought you’re not interested about it.” Mom made clear.

 

 

“It’s fine Mom. Oh, you should hang up now. International call is a bit expensive.” I said to intentionally.

 

 

“Oh, well, okay. But next time, you’ll be the one who will call us, okay? Your Dad wants to talk to you some other time.” Mom said.

 

 

“Okay. Just said my warm regards to him. I’ll hang up now. Bye.”

 

 

“Bye. Take care.” Mom hung up.

 

 

 

I’m in a deep thought as Mom hung up. There are too many questions coming into my mind. He followed me and he’s here for a year.

 

 

 “What are you heading for?” >watching the starry night sky<

 

 

I feel the dread within me. Don’t dare to surprise me, coz I’m not ready if ever I see you again. This heart you put in pain is not ready to suffer pain again.

 

 

 

Troubled mind, not knowing what to do

My heart’s jumping in fear, not ready to see you.

Memories of the past come rushing back to me.

Am I ready to see you again?

 

 

_____________________________________________

 

 

 

Donghae’s POV:

 

 

 

It seems like we’re playing hide and seek. We are walking on the same ground, breathing the same air, but no traces of her at all.

 

 

 

One year has pass but we never ever cross our path or bumped into each other. How poor I am.

 

 

 

“Are we really destined like this?” >watching the starry sky<

 

 

 

There’s no medicine for a broken heart. If there’s one, I would definitely buy it. I would overdose myself with that, so pain would never stay this long. If anaesthesia could make me numb forever, I would definitely inject myself the day I felt this pain.

 

 

And to suddenly forget the pain, I buy liquor outside. Hoping this would ease the pain for a bit.

 

 

 

 

 

Before we parted, I said those words to her. If she still remembers it, she will never ask me why I’m here when we see each other soon.

 

 

Under this starry night, I’m wishing from the heart, to lead my way to her—to the lady I love . . . Jung Jessica.

 

 

I’d take one shot for my pain,

One shot for my sorrow,

I got messed today,

I’ll be okay tomorrow.

 
___________________________________________________