Chapter 4: Expect the Unexpected

One Year Later... (Sequel story of ...Can We?)

 

 

 

 

Morning of Saturday, Jessica’s day off

 

 

 

 

 

Donghae’s POV:

 

 

 

 

I woke up early today to start my search, hoping to find her. I’m expecting at least to see her even just from afar. A glimpse is enough for me. I just want to know she’s doing fine here.

 

 

 

All this time, the search is getting harder and harder as days passes by. I’ve met a lot of people along the way, I’ve ate to a lot of restaurant, I’ve took a walk to all the amazing places here deeply praying, but still, I failed.

 

 

Billions of people walking around here every day in every single minute, and I’m still hoping to see her.

 

 

 

>gently slaps my face< “Aren’t you tired of what you’re doing everyday?” I asked myself.

 

 

 

 

“How could I be tired if my hope and faith to find her is undying?” I quickly respond.

 

 

 

 

I hate this kind of feeling. So, I decided to leave the hotel and go ahead to my task today. I’m really motivated and positive.

 

 

 

 

“Ah~ this day would be one of my greatest day in my one year of stay here.” I positively said.

 

 

 

 

I have this instinct inside me that something beautiful will happen; I’m just a bit clueless what it is.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

 

 

 

“I’m still a bit drowsy.” I whispered as I woke up from my bed. I didn’t sleep well last night because of Mom’s shocking news.

 

 

 

I didn’t know what will happen today, but I want to enjoy this day since my whole week was really a tiring one.

 

 

 

I’m excited to buy a new pair of shoes, to go the salon and have a new me when I start another tiring week after these short weekends.

 

 

 

I’m sipping a cup of tea in front of the window. I noticed the sun shines brightly. I think this would be a great day ahead of me.

 

 

 

I walked to the dining room and ate my breakfast. Afterwards, I go to the bathroom to take a bath.

 

 

 

Two hours passed and I’m all set.

 

 

 

I drove my way to the downtown with excitement written all over my face.

 

 

 

First, I headed my way to the salon. I pampered myself with all the services it offers. I feel so relieve and relaxed from exhaustion.

 

 

 

“Did you enjoy our services, Ma’am?” said the stylist.

 

 

 

>smiling widely< “Yes, I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks!” I said.

 

 

 

“You’re welcome Ma’am.”

 

 

 

“I’ll be back here if I feel stressed.” I said as I walked my way to the main door.

 

 

 

>flashing a big smile on the face< “I’m looking forward to it, Ma’am.” said the stylist.

 

 

 

Then I drove my way to the biggest mall in town.

 

 

 

When I arrived, I headed my way to the shoe store at the 5th floor. All the shoes around the shoe sections are all stunning and I couldn’t decide which to buy.

 

 

 

So, I still wander around to look for the best, a pair of shoe that’s something unique.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

Donghae’s POV:

 

 

 

I’m tired of walking for eight straight hours. I visited almost all the areas, streets, and alleys. I hanged out to all the restaurants, food chains, and stores—possibly to see her.

 

 

 

 

My toe hurts and so my ankles. My legs feel dead tired from too much walking.

 

 

 

 

 

I placed my hands above my stomach that’s freaking hungry. I feel the war inside, my intestines and other fleshed inside me are desperately asking for food.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Without a second thought, I decided to the nearest mall along my way. It’s a one hour walk from where I am standing and thirty minutes if I rode a bus or a cab, according to the old woman I asked. Since my legs hurt, I decided to take a cab.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The trip was smooth and suave. I feel relaxed inside the cab.

 

 

 

 

“What?!!! It’s 15 before 12?!” I vented out inside the cab as we’re reaching the mall.

 

 

 

 

The driver jumped from his seat. Maybe the driver is shock.

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry.” I said my sincere apology.

 

 

 

 

“Its fine, but why you vented out all of a sudden?” said the clueless driver.

 

 

 

 

“I was just surprised on the time. So, that’s why I have this unstoppable war inside me because it’s lunch time.” I explained.

 

 

 

 

“Oh, I see. Don’t ever do that again coz if I have a heart attack, maybe I’m dead now.” the driver joked and laugh.

 

 

 

 

>forcing a smile< “Yes, I’m so sorry about it.” I apologized again.

 

 

 

 

“By the way, we’re here. There are a lot of restaurants here that offered delicious meal at a worthy price. Treat yourself.” The driver joked again.

 

 

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

 

 

That’s all I said as I handed him my payment. I headed my way to the 2nd floor where restaurants are.

 

 

 

“Korean foods.” I whispered as I set my foot on the escalator.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV:

 

 

 

I have selected a pretty pair of shoes. It’s a crystalline one like what Cinderella has. It’s shimmering and it’s the last pair already. A unique pair of shoes said the sales woman. It’s only seen in Europe. Since I afford it, I buy it without hesitations.

 

 

 

It’s 15 before noon when I’m finished buying shoes. I felt hungry so I decided to go to the 2nd floor and eat.

 

 

 

“I miss Korean foods, so, today I will eat some.” I said.

 

 

__________________________________________________

 

 

 

Author’s POV:

 

 

 

When both of them are drawing near the Korean Restaurant, their busy world collides. They bumped into each other as they were about to enter the place. Both shocked and stunned upon finally seeing each other, face to face.

 

 

 

Awkwardness filled the spaces between them. They looked each other straight from the eyes as if they were dreaming.

 

 

Jessica felt so aloof.

 

Donghae felt happy.

 

 

 

 

“I didn’t expect this.” Jessica mumbled, feeling nervous.

 

 

 

I sat on this new life without expectation

Coz sometimes it clears moments of perfection

Can’t you see I’m doing fine without you?

Now that you’re here, I didn’t know what to do

 

 

 

 

“I expected this.” Donghae uttered in a soft voice.

 

 

 

 

Across the sea of loneliness

Feeling alone is such a mess

Across the sea of hope

Expecting is one I cope

 

__________________________________________________