Eight

The way you change my life

 

I’ll always be with you

DooJoon had told his sister about his previous arrangement with Yoseob just when they were about to take the cab. Ha Seung had been mad at him for not telling her earlier, but finally let go of her brother not before warning him to be there or else he would die. As soon as they left, Doo Joon started to make his way to Yoseob’s house.

The bus dropped him in a place he’d never been at before, but the map Yoseob had drowned into his arm was helping him. He had just reached the street when his phone rang. He saw Hyun Jung’s number and answer it without knowing that it would be the last thing he would have wanted to hear.

He hung up his phone and took the first cab he saw. He gave the destination and asked the driver to go as fast as he could. He needed to get there soon: the sooner the better. He needed to be there, to confirm that, whoever had called him was wrong. It had to be wrong.

He felt something tighten in his chest as he they close to his destination. He got out of the cab and ran to the building. When he got to the front desk where a middle-aged lady was he felt his heart in his throat.

“Hi! I’m Yoon Doojoon, the Jang’s relative” he managed to say “I was told they were brought here... after the accident”

Doojoon prayed with all his heart that what the woman on the phone had told him was a misunderstanding. It had to be. The people in the accident couldn’t be his family. They couldn’t.

“The Jang’s?” the nurse seemed taken aback as if she didn’t know what he was talking about; and for a moment there DooJoon felt a light of hope.

She eyed the screen in front of her and then her expression changed. She bitted her lower lip and then looked at Doojoon, holding her breath for a little while and then letting it out in a slow sight. She took the phone and called for a doctor called Choi.

“Dr. Choi will be here in a minute. He’ll talk to you”

That smashed all hopes Doojoon could have in tiny pieces. It was his family. They were on an accident.

Before he had finally calmed down, Doctor Choi got there.

“Hi, I’m doctor Choi” greeted the young doctor as he held his hand out.

“Yoon Doojoon” he greeted back as he shook the hand. He didn’t look much older that Doo joon, maybe a bit too young to be a doctor, but Doo Joon didn’t mention it.

“So, how are they?” he wanted to know what was the state of his family right now and this people wasn’t helping him.

“Well, the kid suffered several contusions and he has been unconscious since they were brought here”

Unconscious; Hyunseung was unconscious. So the crash did was big.

“Luckily his contusions are lights and he doesn’t have any broken bone. However, Mr. Jang didn’t have much luck. I think he tried to protect his child and that’s why he’s the most injured one. He has many broken ribs and a perforation in his lung. But he’s still conscious. We have just sent him to MRI to see if there’re more internal injuries” the doctor explanation was quite simple but Doojoon wasn’t sure if his Hyung’s state was good or not.

“And Noona? How is her?” For some reason, the way the doctor was taking his time to tell him everything gave him a bad feeling. For some reason, he felt that he really didn’t want to hear what the doctor had to say.

Dr Choi looked at him with the same expression the nurse did.

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but your sister, she... she died in the way here. The paramedics couldn’t do anything for her”

The time stopped there. Doojoon was sure of that. Doctor Choi kept talking, but he wasn’t listening. He was trying to digest what he had just heard.

“For what I know, she got the worst part in the accident. When the paramedics got there, she had already loss too much blood. They tried everything that was on their hands, but they couldn’t keep her alive”

Doojoon heard and didn’t hear the doctor’s explanation, but he didn’t really care. She was dead. Ha Seung was dead. His noona was dead.

Slowly, Doojoon’s eyes started to get watery while his mouth was half open.

“C-can I... Can I see her?” he managed to say, hiding a sob in his words.

“Sure” The doctor finally said after a long silence.

Doojoon walked into the room where they told him his noona was. It was a dark empty room; no hospital bed, no couch, no machines... there was only a stretcher with a covered bundle in the middle of it.

He walked in with heavy steps, his heart threatening to stop at any minute and his eyes getting more watery at every step he took. When he reached the stretcher, he took the border of the sheet that covered the body and pulled it slowly, revealing his noona’s face. There weren’t any scars in her face; it was flawless as always, beautiful. Her pretty doe eyes were shut and her full lips formed a small smile. She looked so peaceful, as if she was only sleeping.

By this time, his vision was completely blurry and big silent tears were rolling down his face. He still couldn’t believe she was gone. Once again he had lost his sister, but this time he couldn’t communicate with her through phone.

“Why Noona, why are you leaving me?” he asked the same question he did when she woke him up in the middle of the night seven years ago.

 

“Doo doo, wake up” he heard someone calling his name. Slowly, he opened his eyes and saw his sister there.

“Noona? What is it?” being only 9 year old, he much wanted to sleep, but somehow he knew he needed to listen to her. He turned around and saw the watch; it was 2 in morning. “Noona is late”

“shush” she shooed him and then she sat in his bed “listen, Doo, I’m leaving with Hyun jung”

Hearing this, Doojoon’s eyes went wide open.

“You’re leaving with him and you’re leaving me here?!!” unintentionally he raised his voice a little.

“Shush, you’ll wake them” she hugged him tight, trying to calm him down. She could sense he was about to cry.

“Why noona? Why are you leaving me?” he sobbed in his sister’s embrace.

“I’m sorry Doo, but I can’t stay” she cupped his face in her hands and looked at his teary eyes. “You know I can’t. They want me to marry that guy just because of their company. They don’t care about me”

“And what about me?!”

“I’m sorry baby. I love you, you know I do” she said between sobs “but if I stay I would have to marry that idiot. You know him already”

“The damn jerk?”

“yah! I didn’t teach you that” she scolded him for cursing “but yeah, the damn jerk” then they both laughed a little.

“Will I ever see you again?” He asked looking into his sister’s teary eyes with other teary ones.

“Of course you will!” She took of something from his bag and gave it to Doojoon “This is my mobile. Hyun Jung brought it for me, so mom and dad don’t have this number. Keep it and hide it from them. I’ll call you every Friday at this time, ok?” Doo joon nodded and then they both hugged again.

“Doojoon, even though I’m not beside you, I’ll always be with you” She said before jumping down the window.

After that Doojoon saw her walk to the front gate where Hyun Jung was waiting for her. She waved her hand at him before running out of his sight.

Ha Seung last words kept repeating in his head. But Doojoon knew he wouldn’t hear them again, because she couldn’t talk anymore, she couldn’t hug him and tell him she would always be there anymore, because now she was dead.

 

After he got out of Ha Seung’s room, he walked away not looking back at the hospital. He didn’t want to. It only reminded him of her. Everything remembered him of her.

A kid on his bike passed beside him. He watched him ride few more meters before the kid lose his balance falling hard on the floor and making a memory come to Doo Joon’s mind.

“Men don’t cry” his father had said when he fell from his bike and then walked away.

Ha Seung came running and kneeled down beside him. Then she kissed his wounded knee.

“That’s unhygienic Noona” He said, trying to hide his sobs.

“It is not. My kissed are magic” she said with a smile. “They will ease the pain”

But they don’t ease THIS painHe angrily thought.

Just when Doo Joon was about to walk away, a man came running to the kid and helped him get up. Few tears escaped the kid’s eyes and the man wiped them with his thump.

Hyung!

Doo!

Suddenly, he saw Hyun Jung and Hyunseung in the faces of the man and the kid.

That’s right. There was no time to cry. He might have lost his sister, but there were still people who needed him.

Stopping his sobs, he turned around and started running to the hospital.

______________________________________________________________________________

I've cried so much while writing it T___T

after si much fighting for the internet I was able to update it.  However I'm at my parents house and the internet is a bit low here and my partens don0t let me touch my lap T___T

next chapter might come a bit late.