Twenty two

The way you change my life

 

22

There are many things Junhyung had to give away since the day Hyuna was born. For a start, when he was little he couldn’t make noise while playing because she was sleeping. And at night, she made so much noise he couldn’t sleep. He put the blame on her when he didn’t reach the 1.80 he always wanted to have. So he gave away his peace and quiet. His height was taken from him.

At his teen years he had to be careful with what he said because she was learning and she would repeat everything he said. There went his freedom —because his mom would ground him every single time Hyuna cursed.

When he was in college he had to move back to his parent’s house because Hyuna loved to spend all her free time –which was a lot– together with her best friend, Kikwang, at his apartment. So, of course, there went his privacy.

And when finally at his 25 years old he thought he could get at least a part of what he lost, he was proved wrong. Six months is all he managed to have of peace and quiet. Six glorious months of freedom since he moved to Seoul, until she arrived again.

He blamed his parents this time, for making her a little smart . But then again, he was to blame too. He knew it was dangerous to keep using his parents’ address to receive his mail; he knew it would be just matter of time until they found out, but he had never thought it would be Hyuna who found out his little secret. And so, blackmailed by his own sister he had to accept her in his new life.

“May I take your order, sir?” said sweetly a waitress beside him.

Junhyung had been so immerse into “The great Gatsby” that it took him few seconds to realize it was him the waitress was talking to. He closed the book and turned to her. He didn’t recognise her so he supposed she was new.

“Oh, yes. I’ll have Nuhbiani and Doenjang jijae. Let’s see” he didn’t need to check the menu to order; he knew it by heart. He always ate that restaurant after all “and Gungjung Tteokbokki too”

“To eat here or to take over?” asked the waitress as she made notes.

“To take over, please”

“Ok, I’ll be right back”

“Oh, and, Agashi!” She was just few feet away from his table when he called but Junhyung didn’t notice when she flipped her black hair over her shoulder in fake indifferent y way “make that for two” neither when her sweet smile was wiped of her face.

It wasn’t midday yet so the restaurant was almost empty, except for him and a couple at the table beside the entrance. His table was in a back corner, a bit private, hided from the rest of the restaurant. It was Junhyung’s favourite table because it was where he could read without interruption. And, since Hyuna reappeared in his life, it seemed to be the only place where he could find some time to read in peace.

However, the peace only lasted until his order arrived. Then he had to leave to feed the dragon his sister. That’s why he came to this restaurant, because they were slow to take the orders and get them ready. And the food wasn’t bad.

“Your order, sir” Unluckily today his order had arrived faster than usual.

It must seem weird, but he wasn’t happy with the efficiency of the attention. He wanted them to take their time, to be slow. That way he could have some more time in peace.

Since Hyuna had moved with him, Junhyung had barely enough time to read some lines –or write them— without interruption. She was always there! Asking things, telling him she was hungry —which she was most of the time— trying to fix something in the apartment, complaining about her small room… That made him remember why he had left his parents house. At least she was at school most of the time, which meant he could sleep all morning, be noisy, write and do whatever he wanted in the main time.

However, he missed his weekends. Before, he would go out, maybe go clubbing, bring someone home… now all that was forgotten. If he ever decided to go out or go clubbing he had to be back before ten because his mom called every single night; and let’s not even talk about bringing someone home. He was starting to think he would be in celibate until dead, or at least until Hyuna decided to move somewhere else.

“Closed street, that’s great”

Damn it. That was the longest way to home. Now he had to take the short cut that was free of traffic lights, people and, yeah, traffic. He would be home faster than he thought.

Resigned, he turned right and followed the short cut. Well, at least there were no other drivers to bother if he drove at 15 km/h (~10 miles/h).

Suddenly a police patrol siren was heard, making Junhyung jump in his seat. He seriously needed to change his manager’s ringtone. He took his eyes off of the road to take the call when he saw with the corner of his eye someone falling from the sky. It was a boy and he held something close to his chest. Although Junhyung reacted fast and stepped on the brakes, he was two seconds too late. He hit the boy just as he got to his feet and Junhyung was able to see his face. It was Hyunseung. Again.

Before, if someone asked him if it was possible to hit the same person twice in the same way, Junhyung would have confidently said it just happened in movies. Now, however, he would have said it was definitely possible. Or maybe he just had bad luck.

“Oppa! Oppa! Gwenchana?” a little girl came running to Hyunseung’s side as Junhyung was getting off of his car.

“Ah, deh. I’m fine” Hyunseung said as he sat up. “Look what I’ve got”

Hyunseung moved his right arm and showed the little girl what he had been holding close to his chest: it was a small kitten.

“Momo!” the little girl held the kitten and then hugged Hyunseung.

“Hyunseung-ah, are you ok?” Junhyung asked when he finally reached Hyunseung’s side. He tried to help him stand, but Hyunseung winced when his left arm was touched.

“Ajushi! You hurt him!” said the little girl, still holding her kitten, and looking at Junhyung with an angry pout.

“It’s just a small scratch” said Hyunseung, hiding his wounded arm from them. Junhyung inspected said scratch and it had nothing of small. It was bleeding profusely.

“I’ll take you to the hospital” Junhyung needed to know if there were any other wounds. Doojoon would never forgive him if his nephew suffered a bigger damage because of him.

He held Hyunsueng’s right wrist and pulled him towards his car. However, the teen pulled back and freed himself from Junhyung’s hold.

“I’m fine! I don’t need a hospital” he reassured, but Junhyung wasn’t convinced.

“Doesn’t matter. I better have you checked for any other wound” he tried to held his wrist again, but the teen was faster this time and pulled back before Junhyung was able to touch him.

“There’s no need. I’m fine”

Junhyung was starting to get tired of this. Hyunseung obviously needed to go to a hospital. Why was he denying it? Like last time, when he left the hospital, run away. He hadn’t wondered why until now. Maybe he didn’t like hospitals. Maybe… maybe he remembered something about the accident.

“At least let me take you to a friend of mine who is a doctor” perhaps he just hated hospitals.

“Ajushi, oppa doesn’t want to go with you!” Junhyung had almost forgotten they were not alone until the little girl stood between them. It was almost as if she was trying to protect Hyunseung from Junhyung. Hyunseung found it cute; Junhyung, laughable.

Suddenly a woman came from a house —it was a residential area, after all— and the little girl told her what happened. Apparently she was the kid’s nanny.

Same as the girl, the woman looked at Junhyung with reproaching eyes. She told Hyunseung that he should go to a hospital —and that Junhyung should afford the bill—, but Hyunseung gave her the same argument; that it was just a scratch.

When she couldn’t convince him, she turned to Junhyung and scolded him for driving recklessly. She even suggested that they should call the police. 

“It’s ok, ajhuma. I know him” Hyunseung interrupted her when she was taking her phone to make the call. Junhyung had high suspicions that he had done it because, if the police came, he wouldn’t be able to avoid going to the hospital.

“Really?” and the woman seemed to think the same as Junhyung.

“Yes, I know him” he reassured her and then turned to Junhyung “right, Junhyung?”

Junhyung? Before he was Ajushi and now he is just Junhyung? He should at least call him Hyung!

“Right” He decided to let it go. He could scold him later.

At the end, Hyunseung convinced the girl and her nanny that he was fine and that Junhyung was going to take him home. They said goodbye, both nanny and girl sent warning looks to Junhyung and then went into the house.

“Take me to a hospital and I’ll say your kidnapping me” they were already inside the car and Junhyung had already started the engine, but Hyunseung had sensed the elder’s eyes on his left elbow. He knew he was still thinking about it.

“I won’t, ok. But you won’t stop me from cleaning your wound”

Junhyung wasn’t just going to give up, so Hyunseung gave in.

They drove for few minutes until they reached the super where Junhyung bought some clinic cotton, antiseptic and band-aids.

“Ouch! Be careful!” Hyunseung scolded winced in pain when Junhyung was cleaning the wound. They were sitting in a bench outside the super. Junhyung sat with his legs at each side of the bench to have a better view of Hyunseung’s injured arm.

“Says the guy who jumps in front of moving cars” Junhyung bit back. He wasn’t going to be scolded for a reckless kid. “You are the one who should be careful. It could have been bad!” it was true. If Junhyung hadn’t been driving so slow —thank Hyuna for that— he could have hit Hyunseung really hard and they could be in a hospital rather than a super.

“That’s rich coming from the man who almost killed me for answering his phone"

“I wasn’t—” Junhyung started

“I saw you” but Hyunseung cut him off “and that makes it twice!”

Junhyung stopped cleaning the wound and looked at the Hyunseung with confused eyes. He was missing something.

“I knew I had seen you somewhere, but I couldn’t remember where”

And that made Junhyung realize what he meant with that.

“Oh, and you remember now?”

“Something made me” Hyunseung glared at Junhyung making him feel suddenly ashamed.

Ok, so now Hyunseung knew it had been Junhyung the one who hit him and took him to the hospital like four weeks ago. Somehow, Junhyung had had the little hope he didn’t remember. Well, screw his hopes.

“Ouch!” he had rubbed the cotton way too hurt.

“Sorry. Anyway, aren’t you supposed to be grounded?” there was no way he would win in this argument, so he better change topics. Although Doojoon hadn’t been as mad as he had sounded on the phone, he had grounded his dear precious nephew, so he must have been mad.

“To be grounded doesn’t mean I can’t eat” it was funny, Junhyung thought, how he retorted with a pout.

“I don’t believe Doojoon hadn’t left something for you to eat”

“Hyung can’t cook. He’s really bad at it” and Junhyung didn’t doubt that, but he was sure the fridge wasn’t empty.

“You could have cooked”.

“Says the man who has six packs of take-out food in the back seat” he had seen it when he got into the car and it was impossible not to smell the Nuhbiani and Doenjang jijae. “Besides, I don’t feel like cooking”

“I can’t cook either. And thanks for reminding me I have to go back to the restaurant” it was past noon already and the restaurant was probably full by now. If he went, it would be too crowded and now they would really take their time to make his order ready. “Done”

“Thanks” Hyunseung checked his arm and frowned at Junhyung’s job. To be honest, it was poorly done, but it was better than before. He shrugged, got up and started walking. “Well, we’re at super. You could by something to prepare at home”

“Didn’t you hear what I said? I can’t cook” Junhyung collected the cotton in a bag, threw it into the nearest bin and then followed Hyunseung.

“But I can.” Hyunseung turned around and started walking backwards. “I’m very good”

“You said you didn’t feel like cooking” It’s not that Junhyung didn’t like the offer, but he hated the kid’s confidence.

“Yes, because it’s boring to cook and then eat alone. It’s more fun if you have someone to share” he turned around again and continued walking.

“Are you inviting yourself for lunch at my house?” So impolite, Junhyung thought. Since he was raised —and pampered, for what he heard from Doojoon— on the states, maybe he just wasn’t used to the formal language and needed someone to guide him. However, it just made said kid snap.

“Do you want me to cook or not?!”

Junhyung scoffed.

Disrespectful kids: that was the worst combination Junhyung could meet with. Was he making him a favour by cooking for them? Ha! It was Junhyung who was letting him eat with them! If he wanted he could call Doojoon and tell him his nephew was out, skipping his punishment. That sure would make said man angry at the kid again.

Without saying a word Junhyung walked past Hyunseung but stopped midway.

“You push the cart”

Homemade food was cheaper than restaurant food.

As he was told, Hyunseung was the one pushing the cart, picking whatever he needed. Junhyung was looking at everything and nothing at the same time. All he knew about cooking was that black meant bad, so he would probably be of no help anyway. As long as it tasted good, he was fine with whatever Hyunseung prepared.

However, he couldn’t help but to be surprised when he suddenly so the cart almost filled.

“Well, last time I was at your apartment Hyuna had to buy ramen to get some chopsticks so we could eat the breakfast she had also bought” Hyunseung explained when Junhyung asked as he added a set of cutlery and a pack of chopsticks. “And you gave me a plastic cup when I asked for a glass” and then he added a set of glasses.

Well, Junhyung had nothing to say against that since it was true. He didn’t have any of those because he never ate at home, so why would he need them? Apparently he had been wrong. For a start he never thought he would have his sister living with him, neither that he would have a kid cooking in his kitchen.

“I have a frying pan” Junhyung said when he saw Hyunseung picking two pots of different size. He had already added a set of china and another of dippers, and Junhyung didn’t want the bill to keep increasing.  

A glare from Hyunseung was enough to make him shut his mouth and let the kid pick whatever he needed. A tea pot, a rice cooker, a chopping board and a set of bowls were included into the cart too and just then they moved to the real food section. Hyunseung carefully selected everything he needed and then they headed to the cashier.

Junhyung almost had a heart attack when the cashier told him for the third time the amount he was supposed to pay. It would have been a lot cheaper to eat at a luxury restaurant.

With wide furious eyes, he turned to his side and looked at the culprit. Hyunseung didn’t even look worried about the high amount, but perhaps surprised for Junhyung’s expression.

“You do have the money, right?” Hyunseung asked and Junhyung wasn’t sure if the younger was making fun of him. Be it guilt or sarcasm he was hearing in the kid’s voice, he wasn’t sure, but there was something. “If you want I can pay” He added while taking a golden card from his wallet.

“No need; I’m wealth enough”

There was no way Junhyung would allow a kid pay for him. He was a working man after all and he indeed had more than enough money to pay for everything. Although he wasn’t exactly willing to pay, he needed to protect his pride.

Anyway, what on earth was a fifteen-year-old boy doing with a platinum card on his wallet??!! He just managed to get his after his fourth book finally got recognition. And this kid here had a golden one already without even working? Doojoon’s parents were spoiling Hyunseung way too much.

With a lot of pain in his wallet, Junhyung gave the cashier his card and paid the bill. He didn’t talk to Hyunseung afterwards, neither when they were getting the bags into the car, neither when they were already in their way to his apartment.

He was mad at the kid. Did he really need to buy all of those? Well, he probably did, but at least he should have warned him. What if he didn’t have his golden card and Junhyung didn’t have the money? What would have they done then?

“I wasn’t making fun of you when I offered to pay” Although it had been pretty much silent before he spoke, Junhyung wasn’t startled when Hyunseung spoke.

Since the first time they met, the kid has made things his own way, not to mention he’s been pretty rude towards him. Running away from the hospital, throwing things at him, breaking the tap of his bath, using bamal; he was an ungrateful and disrespectful kid —he was going to remind Doojoon that. He had grown with everything he wanted and needed whenever he asked and didn’t know about hard work. Even his friends came from wealthy families —or so Hyuna had said— and he studied in a good school, so he wasn’t used to people who couldn’t afford something.

“It wasn’t my intention to make you spend so much money”

Apology? What a joke. He was such a spoiled kid that Junhyung doubted he knew what an apology was.

However, when Junhyung looked at the kid, searching for the signs of fake remorse, he found none and that confused him. Or the kid was a really good actor or he really meant what he said.  

“Mianhe”

If Junhyung wasn’t startled before when Hyunseung suddenly spoke, he was it when the kid apologised while looking at him right into the eyes.

He couldn’t put his finger on it, but there was something in those brown doe eyes that made him doubt the kid was able to lie.

Not being able to hold it any longer, Junhyung broke their eye-contact and turned to the road.

“Don’t worry about it. I should have bought them long ago” it was true after all and, for some reason unknown to him, he didn’t want Hyunseung to feel guilty about it. 

Anyway, he was apologising. That meant he was trying to correct himself, right? Maybe he wasn’t used to Korean customs yet and he just needed some help.

“Oh, so you were just being a cheap ”

Perhaps more help than he thought.

The ride to Junhyung’s apartment was a lot less stiff after that, although Junhyung pretty much tempted to close his hands around the kid’s neck. Hyunseung seemed to be unable to stay still. If he wasn’t playing with the radio, he was doing it with the window.  

When they finally arrived, they were welcomed by silence. Junhyung looked around for his sister with no luck. Instead, he found a post it on the fridge where she explained that since Junhyung was taking too long she decided to eat outside, which meant she was at Kikwang’s. She had no money and there was the only place where she could eat for free.

“Seems like it’ll be just the two of us”

They were unpacking and putting everything in their place. It wasn’t difficult, though; the kitchen was practically empty after all.

Once they finished with that, Hyunseung started to cook. Junhyung, once again, just observed him.

How Hyunseung washed the veggies, how carefully he shopped them into similar pieces, how he frowned in concentration while he tasted something or how he smiled softly while flipping the veggies; it was all quite a show.

“You seem to know what you do”

Hyunseung had been so concentrated that he was startled when Junhyung spoke. Luckily he wasn’t doing anything dangerous, but he purred half the soy sauce over the table and over himself. Since they had forgotten to buy tea towels, Junhyung told Hyunseung to wash in the bathroom before the stain dried.

Hyunseung did as he was told while Junhyung took a towel and went to the kitchen to clean what remained of the soy sauce. He had almost finished when he slipped with some of the sauce that had fallen to the floor and tumbled back. He found support on the stove, but his hand slipped and he ended up falling on the sauce spot.

Unluckily for him, he didn’t notice he had turned the knob making the fire increase. When he finally noticed it was too late; the once nice looking veggies were now all burned. He couldn’t help but remember all the effort Hyunseung had put on it and the little happiness it seemed to give the teen. It made him feel bad.

When Hyunseung came into the kitchen, Junhyung was sure he would be yelled at; it was his fault after all, so he prepared himself for the kid’s fury. However, it never came. Hyunseung didn’t yell at Junhyung neither he called him names; he just stood there watching his hard work ruined with a slight pout in his lips.

“I should have turned off the fire” Hyunseung said, thinking it had been his fault. And it made Junhyung feel even worse. He couldn’t bare the kid’s sadness, so he decided to tell him the truth. At first he thought the kid would get mad at him for being reckless, but again, he was wrong. 

“Oh, so it’s because I split the soy sauce” 

Hyunseung tried to save what he could, but it was practically an impossible mission since most of it was burned. At the end Junhyung had to order something they could eat with the rice Hyunseung had also prepared.

They were half done with their food when Hyunseung’s phone went off.

“Hey, Hyung”

Doojoon was probably wondering where his nephew was after he arrived at an empty house. And Junhyung couldn’t blame him. He was supposed to be grounded after all.

“I know. I just went out for lunch, I was hungry, you know”

That wasn’t an excuse, Junhyung thought; at least he could have left a note.

“I didn’t know it would be this late”

Well, that was true; Junhyung also hadn’t noticed the time flying so fast until he paid the delivery. The time was printed on the bill. They sure took their time at the super, putting everything in their place and then cooking. Who would have guessed it would be past six when they finally were able to have lunch.

“Me? I’m at Junhyung’s place” That was third time that day that Hyunseung said his name without an honorific. “We just happened to cross pats… …Ok, bye”

Hyunseung ended the call and then continued eating his kimichi.

“You know, I take it easy because you’re Doojoon’s nephew, but you really shouldn’t talk to people older than the way you do to me”. Hyunseung needed to learn after all, and if Doojoon didn’t teach him, Junhyung was going to do it.

“You’re the one who told me not to call you ajushi” Hyunseung retorted and that was true. He had done it the last time Hyunseung had been at his apartment.

“Yes, but at least call me Hyung”

“I do!” The kid replied annoyed. “Jun - Hyung”

Maybe it was better to leave the kid’s education to his uncle.

“By the way, Hyung said he’s coming to pick me up”

Hyunseung’s clothes were wet and they had a strong smell of soy sauce, Jso unhyung told him to take a shower after he finished eating, so he would be fresh and clean when Doojoon arrived.

Turns out, Doojoon arrived when the kid had just entered the shower.

He looked quite happy to be mad at his nephew and Junhyung suspected it had something to do with his crush assistant.

Since Yoseob had reappeared in his life, Doojoon seemed to be unable to smile at easy; he was more stressed and unable to relax around the younger. Junhyung knew it because Doojoon himself told him and because it had been showing in his face. So, if Doojoon was able to smile so brightly again, Junhyung was sure it was because something must have happened with Yoseob. 

There was no need for him to ask since Doojoon couldn’t contain himself and told him he and Yoseob had lunch together and even shared some bits. Doojoon also told him he had driven the younger to his apartment —in a taxi, since he couldn’t drive; long story— and that he had met his cousin.

“He probably hates you overworking his cousin” Junhyung said when Doojoon told him that, apparently, Yoseob’s cousin didn’t like him.  

“Yeah, probably. Anyway, how is it that Hyunseung ended up here?”

Junhyung thought for a bit before answering. He remembered what Hyunseung said on the phone and suspected the teen didn’t want his uncle to know he had been hit by a car, Junhyung’s car, for the second time. If Doojoon knew, he would probably make Hyunseung go to a hospital and there was no way he would be able to stop his uncle.

On one side, he was tempted to tell him what had happened —and risk his neck— because he really wanted Hyunseung to go through a check to see if everything was ok with him. But, on the other side, he wanted to respect the kid’s decision because he suspected he was afraid of hospitals.  

Since Hyunseung had been fine until then, Junhyung decided there was nothing wrong with him and told Doojoon the same Hyunseung had said; that they just happened to cross pats.

He also told him how the kid had forced him to buy a lot of kitchen stuff making him spend a good amount of money. And Doojoon seemed it find it funny.

“Let me guess, hand painted china with square plates, German pots, a rice cooker, a bamboo chopping board and long glasses with spiral design”

Junhyung was half surprised half scared that Doojoon had guessed correctly everything Hyunseung had made him buy.

“How do you know?” Doojoon scoffed at the obvious question his friend was wondering

“He’s tried to make me buy those before” he explained “but I told him we didn’t need them” Doojoon smiled remembering how his nephew had begged him to buy those German pots and the really pretty china, but he was already immune to his nephew’s puppy face, so he said no. Although old, they already had a set of pots and china. The same happened with everything else he wanted.

“He loves cooking and he’s crazy about kitchen stuff. I’m sure that’s why he moved with me back then, because they wouldn’t let him cook at the main house. Didn’t I tell you?”

Oh, so it wasn’t because he was a nice kid that he had offered to cook. He knew Junhyung didn’t have any kitchen stuff, he knew they would need to buy everything and he knew Junhyung had no idea about what exactly he needed. He’s had Junhyung playing around his little finger from the start.

Damn smart kid!

“Hyung, I'm done. Should we go?” Hyunseung had finally got out of the shower, all clean and fresh, and wearing Junhyung’s angry bird t-shirt and which was the only thing he could borrow from the older. 

“Of course, but you’re grounded again once we get home” the fact that it was accidental didn’t mean he was less grounded.

Hyunseung was about to protest, but this time, Junhyung beat him to it.

“Yes, you’re grounded” he said through teeth and a devil smile “and since you can look if he’s really at home when he’s supposed to be, why won’t let him be grounded here?”

There was a devil smile playing on Junhyung’s lips as he suggested this to his friend.

Doojoon hadn’t thought about it, but it was actually a good idea. He was most of the time at work anyway, so he couldn’t control what Hyunseung did when he wasn’t around. Besides, the rain season was about to start and Doojoon didn’t want Hyunseung to be alone by then.

“Are you sure?” however, he couldn’t give his friend all that responsibility.

“Of course, Hyuna’s already grounded for life” Junhyung said trying to sound convincing. It was true that he treated Hyuna as if she was grounded, although she did as she pleased, and he wanted Doojoon to believe he would treat his nephew the same way.  Luckily, Doojoon bought it.

“Well, in that case, Hyunseung you’ll be coming here after school since Monday, ok?” Doojoon informed his nephew.

Oh, how Junhyung loved that surprised expression on Hyunseung’s face. Ha! The kid was probably thinking about what awaited for him. Junhyung would make him work as a slave for making him spend so much money to buy what the kid wanted.

“Really?” However, that exited tone on his voice told him otherwise “So I can cook when I come here right?”

Hyunseung was excited about the idea of coming to Junhyung’s apartment every day after school and it made the older wonder if it was really a good idea.

Since Doojoon had already agreed to it and he seemed kind of relieved when he proposed it, Junhyung didn’t have the heart to retract himself.

And so they left leaving Junhyung wondering if the grounded one would really be the kid or himself. 

 


as I promised, Junseung chapter is here :D

It was so fun to write it that it came smoothly x3 

Hehe what do you think the relationship between these two will be like? I love it already (dah~~ Jun♥seung fan to the core!) 

Next chapter is also Junseung x3 (love it forever and ever!!!! ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥) 

Last chapter I was kind of sad because so few people commented (not that you guys comment a lot T__T ). As always I'm especially glad for my loyable commenters. You know who you are as I told you so, my top 3 :D. Anyway, I'm still glad you're reading it guys. Means a lot to me. 

To my new subscribers, LOVE YOU! :D 

Please do enjoy *bows* and thanks for reading :3 

PDDT: Next chapter will be up next weel again :D

PDDT2: I'm proud I'm being kind of productive here xD

PDDT3: wine really helps my writing xD