Fifteen

The way you change my life

 

15

He was mad. He was so damn mad that you could almost see the smoke coming out of his ears; so mad that the director of management was almost pale of fear; so mad that all the workers at the office had their ears pasted to the door, listening carefully what was going on inside; after all, you don’t see Yong Junhyung losing his composure every day. 

“Explain that again” he said in a dangerous low voice “How come the advertisement for the book got cancelled, when we just have two weeks before the realising??!! EH!!” little by little his became louder and scarier until he literally yelled; making the director’s eyes got widened in fear.

“T-that...w-well, you won’t believe it” the man stammered.

“Try me” the low voice again.

“They said the document of the contract got lost and they thought we had never signed it and since we hadn’t called, they thought we had decided not to work with them...”

“WHAT??!! They’re at fault and I have to pay the consequences?”

This was unbelievable. They had made a contract with certain group to do the respective advertisement for the new book and the director of management had just told him they cancelled it; that hadn’t prepare a single thing, a single billboard, a single clip for the TV or the radio... NOTHING!

He slammed his hands on the desk once again, making the director and all the people out of the office jump a little in their place.

“Make a deal with them again and I’ll break our contract”

Junhyung saw the director eyebrows twitching at what he said and then he opened his mouth to say something, but Junhyung cut him off as he knew what it was.

“And don’t dare say I can’t. I made that contract!!”

As soon as the people outside heard his steps coming closer to the door they ran out back to their sits. When he came out, no one dared to say a single thing, they didn’t even dare to breathe until he entered the elevator.

The elevator reached the first floor and a very angry Junhyung came out. He walked out of the building and walked to his car which was parked at the main entrance. However, before he was able to reach it he noticed a paper on the windscreen-wiper. A wave of fear washed him as he took it. It really couldn’t be what he thought, right? He read it. He was right: it was a fine. A ing damn FINE!!

This definitively wasn’t his best day. First, he woken up to in his apartment he had to share with his little sister. Then he found out the advertisement for his book was cancelled and now he got a ing fine for parking in a forbidden spot.

Oh! And don’t forget the kid from the morning. Yeah, the kid...

He had been driving to the editorial after leaving Hyuna at school which was like turning in U since it was the other way. It was rush hour and he hated it, so he decided to take a short-cut. It would be shorter way, faster and he’d save time. Or so he thought until it happened.

He had entered a lonely street where he had to slow down —luckily— since there was a kindergarten nearby. His phone vibrated in his pocket and he took his eyes off of the road for a second in order to answer it, but the moment he did it someone fell from the sky on his car. His first reaction was to step on the brakes as fast as he could, but it was too late. He saw the body colliding with his car and then falling to the floor.

Junhyung froze. He had just bumped someone with his car.

Junhyung didn’t know what to do or how to react until he saw that person —who seemed to be as student by the uniform— getting up and walking away. Just then Junhyung reacted, got out of the car and tried to approach the other. Before he was able to reach him, Junhyung saw the kid’s —he was obviously a kid— legs giving away and he stumbled. This time he reacted faster and caught him before he would reach the floor. He had to get on his knees to catch him; an arm around the kid’s shoulders while the other checked him.

“Hey, kid, are you ok?!” Junhyung asked him while tapping softly the kid’s cheek, trying to wake him up again “oh! Damn, you’re bleeding”

There was a small cut in the boy’s forehead that was bleeding profusely, leaving a red trail down his face (a pretty one, he must add). Suddenly the kid moaned in pain when Junhyung touched the cut and then his eyelashes started move open. Feeling eyes on him, Junhyung stopped blowing the cut and looked at the boy’s face, just to find a pair of big doe eyes staring at him. And a second later the kid passed out again.

“yah, Yah! Kid, wake up!” Junhyung tried shaking him and tapping his cheek again, but nothing worked. “Oh, ”

Without thinking it twice, he lifted the unconscious kid in his arms and carried him to his car. After sitting him in the passenger seat, assuring the safety belt and reclining the seat; he got into the driver’s seat and drove to the nearest hospital.

Once there he got the boy out of his car and ran with him in arms to emergency door.

“What happened?” asked a doctor as the nurses helped him put the boy in a stretcher.

“I was driving- and –and he came from nowhere- He- he fell from— from the sky— I couldn’t stop and bumped into him” he stammered as he tried to explain what had happened.

Just as he saw the doctors and nurses take the boy into a room he couldn’t enter, a police officer who had followed him since he had parked at the entrance of ER started asking him questions about the events. Junhyung said everything exactly as he remembered; he told them seeing the boy getting up and stumbling back, and then passing out again. He even told them he wasn’t going really fast since it had been a school area.

However, the officer didn’t really believe him and ordered him to do a urine test and a breath test; but of course both were negative for drugs and alcohol. Even with that, he only believed what Junhyung had said when a nurse came and told them the boy was good —unconscious but good— and that was thanks he wasn’t going really fast.

“The doctor is attending a patient right now, but he’ll explain you the boy’s state as soon as he finishes” the nurse said before leaving Junhyung with the unconscious boy.

It was weird, to be in an emergency room with a total stranger you had just almost killed, it was totally weird. It was weird and Junhyung didn’t know what to do. It would be easier if it was someone he knew because he would talk to him and try to wake him up. But he didn’t know the boy, not even his name. He had tried to get his name from the nurse, but they said he didn’t have an ID or anything that would identify him in his school uniform.

Suddenly he heard the boy mumbling something.

“—ma...” since he didn’t catch it, Junhyung got closer “—ma...” again, he got closer until his ear was practically pasted to the boy’s soft lips “Umma...”

Junhyung backed away in a fast movement. Junhyung couldn’t help but to stare at the boy’s face: he seemed to be in a nightmare or so, he looked as if he was in pain and a single tear left his eye.

Kids crying: Junhyung had never liked it, and he was sure he never will.

Out of reflex, he reached to the boy’s face; he wiped the tear with his thumb and then let his hand cares the boy’s cheek, as if trying to calm him. It worked.

“Mr. Yong?” suddenly a voice called and Junhyung retracted his hand in a fast movement. He knew it would look weird —and ert— to be found caressing a stranger’s face; a kid’s face.

The doctor explained to him what the nurse had told him already. He said the boy had just few scratches that were probably made before and at the accident. His worst wound was the one in his left hand. He said it was probably made the moment he fell on the car or when he fell to the floor. Either way, there were no bones fractured, so it just needed to be bandaged for a while to heal properly. And the cut at his forehead was nothing to worry about either. However, even if MRI’s didn’t show anything wrong, they couldn’t be sure about his whole state until he woke up.

Once he heard that, Junhyung felt a little bit better. He was still sorry for hurting him, even if it was little; but now he could feel better since he knew he was going to be good. He would just apologise and scold him when he woke up, and ask him for a number to call his parents so they would pick him up; but until then he was planning to stay by the kid’s side and not leave him until he woke up.

However, not everything goes as planned. The moment he went back to the kid’s bed, he was gone. They looked for him everywhere but they couldn’t find him. The nurses, the doctors, the guards, other patients... no one had seen him.

Junhyung went out and looked out for him everywhere around the hospital, but he couldn’t find him. He even went back to the accident place, but there was no signal of the boy. He had disappeared in thin air the same way he had appeared.

And that was probably what got him moody.

“No coke? You must be kidding me!”

And now he couldn’t have a decent drink, his lovely coke. He must have done something really bad in his past life.

He hit the machine over and over again until he felt he broke his hand. Feeling defeated, he entered his car —after kicking hard the machine— and the radio. Just as he was about to start the engine, he heard something interesting: an announcement about announcements. He laughed at the irony in that, but soon his laugh died as a blue bulb went on in his head. Oh, how didn’t he think of that before?

Junhyung was excited. Really, he should have thought about it before and not go crazy for nothing. He would have saved a lot of stress. And luckily it wasn’t far.

Few minutes later he saw CUBE’s building. Once again in the same day, Junhyung was sure he had done something really in his past life, because someone came from nowhere and ran into him. In a fast movement, he was able to turn around just in time to avoid the other person and stepped on the brake. The car stopped just centimetres away from a traffic signal of ‘Do not Park’, right at the entrance of CUBE’s building.

“YAH!  Can’t you watch where you go?” he yelled at the person who was on the floor. He knew he hadn’t hit him as he had avoided him and he saw the other person jumping out of his way. “There are sidewalks for a reason, you know!” This time he was really mad.

“Sir, are you OK?” someone —a guard, he assumed— that came from the building was helping the other man.

“Oh, yeah... don’t worry” the man stood up and then turned to Junhyung “I’m really sorry I was distracted” he apologised as he bowed deep. If the man would have started to fight him, Junhyung would have fight too, probably, but since he had accepted the responsibility, he calmed down.

“ah... well, thank God I wasn’t” Of course that didn’t mean he would accept something he didn’t do “Anyway, you’re ok, right? No need to go to a hospital? Sure?” but after the boy from the morning he was still scared of hurting someone seriously.

The man, who was dusting out his clothes, turned to him to say something and Junhyung too was about to say something, but both of them stopped midway and kept on staring.

“You had to be kidding me” it was Junhyung who broke the silence.

“Oh, man” the other one said.

Soon both of them broke in smiles.

“Since when have you been this careless?” asked Junhyung in disbelieve. He remembered his friend being a careful person and not a lightheaded one like the person he had in front.

“You’re still a bad driver” but there was no doubt it was him.

“Yah, I’m not!” it had been a long time.

“Right, did your mom let you drive after you crashed her car on the tree?” a really long time

“No” but their friendship wasn’t something you could easily break.

They laughed and laughed at their weird way of meeting again.

“Yong Junhyung, you hadn’t changed a bit”

“Yoon Doojoon, you’ve aged like a dinosaur”

The guard stared confused at the bone crashing hug between two friends that had met again after ten years.

Maybe he hadn’t been that bad after all. 

 

NOTE: I have no idea who does all the advertisement for books and sort, and I actually didn’t look for it since I wanted to write it as fast as possible, so don’t get mad at me nor be mean with your comments if you do. u.u

___________________________________________

new chapte here! :D

I'm seriously happy I'm been productive these days. Seriously! in just two weeks I have updated more than the last 4 months!

anyway, I'm sorry again for not writing about DooSeob, but it would have taken me longer to write it and I wanted to update already. So, next chapter will be

You guys know comments are loved

Saranghae~~