Thirteen

The way you change my life

 

13

Sunlight. ing hot and annoying morning sunlight. Hyuna hated it probably as much as she hated her alarm clock. Both meant she had to get up and get ready for school. And it wasn’t something that excited her.

“yah! Get up!” but of course, her sweet brother didn’t care about it.

“Go away!” she mumbled back on her pillow while pulling the blankets over her head to make it darker. She heard the door opening loudly.

“I said GET UP!” her lovely brother said again loudly while pulling the blankest off her. “You have School”

“I don’t want too!” Hyuna whined “Can’t you call and say I’m sick?”

“I called yesterday just because mom was here. I’m not doing it again, so you better get up and go to school.” Stupid brother; why can’t he understand that she needed her beauty sleep? Why couldn’t he understand that school is boring? There’s nothing interesting in it. Not even a single thing that she liked, not even a hot or cute guy. NOTHING! Bunsan’s school was so boring... “You’re the one who wanted to come to Seoul. Now, deal with it!”

Seoul?

Just then it clicked to her. In a fast movement she threw the blankets and sat up on her bed, scaring her brother in the process.

“It’s my first day at Seoul High School!! Why didn’t you wake me up?” she yelled at her brother stomping out of her room. It was just 7 in the morning, but she needed time to get ready.

She heard him yelling back something but she didn’t care. It was her first day at the famous Seoul High School; one of the bests schools in Seoul. She had applied for this school without her parents knowing it and thanks to her good grades she was accepted. She had always wanted to study there, not only because her best friend was there, but because she wanted to demonstrate her parents she wasn’t only a pretty girl. She wanted to demonstrate them she was smart, bright, brilliant and being accepted in this high school was just a small step.

“If you’re not out here in two minutes you’ll be walking to school” yelled Junhyung from the living room.

“But I don’t know the way” She yelled back. She had arrived to Seoul just the day before, after all.

“Which gives you a good reason to hurry up” however, her brother didn’t seem to care.

Hyuna growled before checking herself in the mirror once again. Not a single wrinkle on her uniform, her dark brown straight hair fixed in two cute low ponytails, her and a little bit of gloss on her lips. She was ready.

“Coffee or pancakes?” Junhyung asked her as she wore her shoes and jacket before following Junhyung out of the house.

 “Pancakes!” she answered excited. She loved pancakes.

“Ok, Coffee then” Junhyung said with a smirk. He closed the door and walked to the elevator, leaving his sister dumbfounded.

Oh, how naive of her to believe he would actually do what she wanted. Their relation hadn’t changed in the last ten years. They were still like cat and dog, like water and oil; never getting along. And Hyuna was sure it wasn’t going to change anytime soon. She was sure that Junhyung wanted her as far as possible from him, and the feeling was mutual; but at the moment, there was nothing they could do about it.

When Hyuna got accepted in Seoul’s High School, her parents were against she living alone, even if it was a dorm in the school campus. Junhyung had already his own apartment in Seoul, but that didn’t mean he would let her in. However, he was her only option. If he didn’t take her in, she would have to study in Bunsan; and that wasn’t an option for her.

Luckily for her, things worked on her favour. One day —two days before moving to Seoul— a letter for Junhyung arrived. It was from an editorial —they probably didn’t know his new address at Seoul. She, being the great sister she is, decided to check it. When she finished reading it, she understood why her brother had so much money: he was a writer. And not just any writer; he was a best seller. In the letter the Director congratulated him for his last two books that had been best sellers for almost a year.

Without wasting time she entered the first bookstore she found and looked for the book. There wasn’t any picture on the biography, but it named all his previous works. It was hard for her to believe that he had been a writer even before graduating from law school. That would explain why he had money to move to Seoul after his graduation. And that would explain why he didn’t want to stay and work at their mom’s buffet. He had said it was because he had been requested from a famous buffet in Seoul —which was true— but in was actually because the editorial was in Seoul and that way he should have to hide.

Oh, her brother was so damn brilliant. But, sadly for him, she was brilliant too.

So, in order for Hyuna to keep the secret, Junhyung had to let her stay in his apartment.

“This is milk” Hyuna said when she took a sip of the drink Junhyung had just given her.

Cooking wasn’t made for those brother and sister, so they ate out from breakfast to dinner.

“You need to grow up, don’t you?” Junhyung said as he started the car.

“You know I hate milk and I’m tall enough!” if there was something she hated more that sunlight and her alarm clock, it was milk. She totally detested it.

“yeah, sure”

None of them said anything until they arrived to school. It was a big building and there were a lot of students coming down from cars or walking to the entrance. She was so excited she didn’t notice Junhyung talking to her.

“Yah!” she snapped out “Are you listening?”

“Oh, yeah”

“Ok, then you give this to your teacher and tell him, or her, that you were at the hospital yesterday and that’s why you couldn’t come. Get it?”

Hyuna just nodded and got off the car. She hanged the backpack on her shoulder and bent down to talk to Junhyung.

“Will you pick me up?” she asked with hopeful voice, thought she knew the answer.

“You know the way already. You can take the bus” and after saying that he left.

What a lovely brother, Hyuna thought. She breathed in and out few times to relax herself. She didn’t want to ruin her first day of school because of her stupid brother.

Suddenly she realised there wasn’t anyone around anymore. They were probably in their classroom already, and Hyuna realised she didn’t know where was her classroom.

“yes?” asked the male teacher inside when she knocked on the door.

“Hi, Is it class 1-A?” she asked for the fifth time, hoping it was finally her class.

“Oh, you must be the new student. Kim Hyuna is it?” Hyuna felt herself smiling like an idiot, but she didn’t care. The teacher told her to come in and she did.

She checked the class around as her heart started beating in excitement and anxiety. There were six columns and six rows. All the eyes were on her —almost all, since there was a guy immersed in his book and another one sleeping; none of them caring a bit about her— which made it worst. She started looking around, searching for a knowing face. A big smile made its way to her face when she found him: Kikwang, her best friend. He was in the fifth row; second column from the window and luckily for her there was an empty sit beside him, by the window.

“May you present yourself, please” even though they were all first year students, Hyuna knew there had been an introduction curse a moth before classes started where everybody had met for the first time. That meant she wasn’t like one of them. She was the new girl.

“Annyonghaseyo, I’m Yong Hyuna. I’m fifteen and I- ” Suddenly, the door was opened and everyone turned to it, making Hyuna cut her speech.

Oh, no. You didn’t.

A breathless pretty girl with black long straight hair, fringe until her eyebrows, chubby cheek, big eyes, and pouty lips was standing there.

“Mianhamnida! I’m late, Seosaengnim” she said loudly as she bowed, but stopped midway and looked up again “You’re not Seosaengnim, what are you doing here?”

The whole classroom laughed at the new arrived, but the girl didn’t seem to be bothered and just blinked at who wasn’t the Seosaengnim.

“The director needed to talk to your teacher, so she sent me instead; and you’re still late” the man said.

“That’s because you left me!” the girl complained but the man just smirked.

“That’s what you get for oversleeping” Soon, both of them started bickering not caring that they were in front of the whole class. Everyone seemed to be having fun; everyone, except Hyuna, Kikwang, the guy with his book and the sleeping guy who was sitting by the window in fourth row.

Hyuna wasn’t sure what to do anymore. This girl had come and ruined her introduction and was now stealing all the attention that was supposed to be hers at the moment. She had to do something, anything, to stop it; but she didn’t know what.

Suddenly, someone slammed his hand on his desk making everyone jump and shut up.

“Sir, would you mind saving this sibling’s discussion for when you’re at home?” it was the sleeping guy from before. Now that he wasn’t hiding his face in his arms, Hyuna noticed he was a really handsome Arabian looking guy. “I’m sure there are better things to learn and I’m sure the new girl must be tired of standing there”

Again, all the eyes were on Hyuna and she couldn’t do anything but to smile awkwardly.

“Oh, Mianamnida! You were introducing?” The said as she bowed to Hyuna “I won’t interrupt you anymore!” and then she went to her sit, which was the one by the window beside Kikwang and behind the Arabian looking guy. Hyuna sighed in defeat as she saw the girl in her sit. She greeted Kikwang with a gummy smile and then poked the Arabian looking guy from behind. She told him something Hyuna couldn’t hear —an apology, probably— and then pouted cutely to him. When he smiled and she smiled back, Hyuna knew the girl had been forgiven.

“Hyuna, you’re sit will be behind Kikwang” Hyuna smiled when Kikwang raised his hand for her to recognize him, although it wasn’t needed since they knew each other since kindergarten. He smiled at her too, but somehow, his smile didn’t reach his eyes. That wasn’t his usual eye smile.

When she finally sat, she poked Kikwang and asked him what happened.

“There’s something I haven’t told you” he whispered with guilty in his voice.

Before she could ask about it, the door was opened suddenly —again— making everyone turn to it... again.

“ya!” The head of a pretty lady popped from the door “missed me?” and said smiling.

“Annyonghaseyo Go Seosaengnim” everyone greeted with smiling voices; everyone but Hyuna and Kikwang.

Hyuna felt like a bucket of icy cold water had fallen all over her. This couldn’t be happening. No, her luck couldn’t be this bad. She couldn’t be her teacher. There was no way Go Hara was going to be her teacher for the rest of the year.

Just NO WAY!

_________________________________________________

arrggghhh I'm hating AFF right now. again, it erased a part of what I had updated. 

Ok so, I'm really sorry for not updating until now, but I've been on a trip the whole week. It was supposed to be a three-day-trip, but something happened and I couldn't come back until now. I've just arrived this morning and started writting after a good sleep. 

anyway, it was supposed to be longer but I really wanted to update already so, yeah. 

I'm sure most of you are wondering what happepened with Dooseob, but I think you'll have to keep wondering a little bit more ^^

love you guys.

see ya~