Prison

My Dirty Little Secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

• DARA'S POV •

 

I was walking down the hall Monday afteroon with Bom and a couple of other teachers when I saw Chaerin speed walking down the hall towards me. That was when I was faced with a new predicament. How was I supposed to act towards her around my coworkers? I didn't want to let on, but I didn't want to completely blow her off. That was alright though, because she made the decision for me.

 

"Da--" she began, then realized where she was, and who was around, and for a split second a look of sheer panic came across her face before it melted into a calm, knowing smile. "Damn, " she said, immediately covering up, "I have to finish a test before cheer. I don't want to be late, but that's where I'll be."

 

I don't know how wide my eyes were or how panicked I looked, but my heartbeat was faster than it usually was around her from our almost crisis. I somehow managed an, "Okay, that's fine," before letting her go and walking away.

 

"I thought that girl was about to call you Dara ," one of the other teachers laughed after we'd gotten enough distance.

 

"Yeah," I said, forcing myself to laugh along though that had been way too close. "So did I."

 

____

 

Whatever test it was, it turned out to be some test, for Chaerin was at least fifteen minutes late to practice.

 

"Where's Chaerin ?" somebody asked. "She usually leads stretches."

 

"I saw her near the front door a few minutes ago," Tiffany said, sounding more gossipy than factual.

 

"She's finishing a test," I said, diffusing rumors before they began. "Someone else can lead if you want, or you can just stretch on your own."

 

"I'll lead," Tiffany offered quickly, met by no apparent objections. "I led stretches when I was JV captain."

 

"Cool," I said indifferently as I sat on the bleachers, a little bit down because watching Chaerin stretch had been one of my personal pleasures for quite some time now. "Thanks, Tiffany."

 

"Is she going to stunt?" she asked, leaning into a side stretch.

 

"Mhm," I said, knowing full well that if she didn't, we didn't have a halftime routine.

 

"That's good," she said brightly. "The way she was walking today, I wasn't so sure."

 

I didn't know what that meant. As far as I knew, Chaerin was fine. Had I just not noticed?

 

"What do you mean?" I asked, letting curiosity and nervousness take over.

 

"She's just keeping weight off of that ankle, it looks like," Tiffany said. "She said she wants to cheer no matter what though, even if it gets worse. At least that's what she told me this morning."

 

I didn't really know what to believe. I wanted to inform her that I'd been with Chaerin this weekend, and she'd done a lot more than walk, but obviously that wasn't an option. And maybe she was right. Was Chaerin just acting like the ankle was okay around me , so I wouldn't worry and she could cheer? That was something I could see. She always wanted to be strong, never to be vulnerable, to need help.

 

"I think she's okay," I settled on. "But I'll make sure before I put her up."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter