Chapter Seven

The Doctor's Singer

As evening approaches and the sun sets into the horizon, Chanyeol groggily awakens to a darkened home and his face buried into a couch cushion. Yawning, Chanyeol moves to bring his left hand up to rub his eyes, but is baffled upon realizing that his left hand is already gripping unto something..something soft and..warm.

Curious, Chanyeol turns his head away from the couch and towards where his hand is and comes face to face with a sleeping Baekhyun curled up on the floor against the couch's armrest. Suddenly remembering the day's events, Chanyeol sighs, gently removing his hand from Baekhyun's arm.

Rolling over to lie on his back, Chanyeol closes his eyes in thought. 

Last night had truly reminded him why he left working surgery at the hospital. Losing not one, but two young teenage boys to death in his career has engraved a deep feeling of regret and sadness in his heart.

He remembers the strong feeling of failure he felt when the EKG flat lined permanently and the sad feeling of having to once again tell a child's parents that their child didn't make it through the night.

Chanyeol had wanted nothing more at the end of it all than to leave the hospital that held the strong reminder his life's failures. As soon as he was permitted too, Chanyeol swiftly made his way out of the hospital and to his home to cut himself away from the outside world for as long as he could.

He didn't expect, however, to be greeted by a certain idol the moment he arrived at his home.

Desperately trying to ignore the greeting the short man had given him, Chanyeol had quickly taken his keys to open the door to his home before having to converse with the man.

Unfortunately, Baekhyun was quick and was demanding Chanyeol's attention before he could escape. At that point in time, Chanyeol only felt the desperate need to keep his emotions from getting the best of him, but his eyes ignored his plea, alerting his neighbor of his heart's inner turmoil.

Begging Baekhyun to leave him be, he was not terribly surprised that the man denied his request. Afraid of coming completely apart at the door, Chanyeol had decided to drag the man into his home with him before that could happen. Before he could get a grasp on what he was doing, he was telling everything to Baekhyun, breaking down before he could further attempt to keep himself together. However, he didn't expect to be pulled into warm, comforting arms and in the next moment, hugging back tightly, craving the comfort he didn't know he wanted.

He remembers drifting off, feeling more worn out than he did before speaking to Baekhyun, and waking up to Baekhyun moving a pillow under his head and about to leave.

Not entirely sure why, he grabbbed the idol's arm and asked him to stay before completely blacking out. 

Chanyeol turns over towards the sleeping Baekhyun again and stares softly at his face. He doesn't understand why Baekhyun felt the need to provide him with comfort. They haven't even know each other for a month and yet the man stayed here with him and comforted him as if he and Chanyeol had known each other for years. Chanyeol, however, is none-the-less grateful the man was here to provide some comfort, even if he at first didn't want it. 

Baekhyun suddenly moves in his sleep, snuggling closer to the armrest, slightly shivering, hair falling into his face. Not really thinking about it, Chanyeol moves the hair from his face, tucking it gently behind his ear. Upon realizing what he did, he snatches his hand back, as if he had been burned.

Shaking his head, Chanyeol gets up from the couch and enters his bedroom, looking around for a specific red bundle.

Finding the red blanket, he walks back out to the living room to cover the sleeping Baekhyun. It's then that Chanyeol realizes that Baekhyun is probably completely uncomfortable lying on his living room floor.

Setting the blanket on the table in front of the couch, Chanyeol contemplates how to move Baekhyun from the floor to the couch without waking him up. Deciding there's not really a way around it, Chanyeol gently loops one arm under Baekhyun's knees and the other behind his head, slowly lifting the idol from the floor and placing him on the couch.

Succeeding in not waking him up, Chanyeol grabs the blanket from the table and covers the sleeping man with it, taking the man's slippers off as well. 

Taking one final look at Baekhyun, Chanyeol decides to go and take a much needed shower while the man sleeps. 


The first thing Baekhyun notices as he wakes up from his unplanned slumber, is that he's not on the floor where he last remembers himself to have been.

Sitting up, he rubs his eyes and runs a hand through his chestnut colored locks, yawning. Upon further movement, he notices a fluffy, red blanket pooling around his waist. Smiling gently, he realizes that Chanyeol must have moved him to the couch and covered him with a blanket for him to sleep more comfortably.

"Oh, you're awake." 

Turning towards the deep voice a bit startled, Baekhyun finally takes notice of Chanyeol sitting on the couch chair next to the sectional he's lying on, a book in hand.

Nodding, Baekhyun swings his legs from the couch and to the floor, eyeing Chanyeol over. He notices the giant has changed out of his previous attire and into plan grey sweat pants and a black ribbed tank. 

A short silence passes before Baekhyun decides to speak.

"How are you holding up?"

Putting his book down on the table, Chanyeol sighs softly and looks up at Baekhyun, expression exhausted.

"I am..well enough I guess," Chanyeol answers softly. "Just a little worn out."

Shaking his head knowing there is more to his answer, Baekhyun gets up from the couch and walks over to Chanyeol, leaning down to hug him for the second time that day. Chanyeol stiffens at the sudden unexpected contact.

"I'm so sorry Chanyeol....I just..I know we're not close friends or anything but I'm really worried about you...I just want you to know that if you need someone to talk to or if you need anything at all, I'm right next door or if I'm not there, you can call me if you want. I'll leave my number for you. I just..I know you look at me as the annoying neighbor that lives next door but I just-"

Baekhyun stops talking in shock as he feels Chanyeol's arms wrapping around him back, unexpectedly returning the hug.

"Baekhyun.." Chanyeol murmurs, dropping the honorifc for the first time, "Thank you. For everything."

Slowly coming out of shock, Baekhyun smiles, tightening the hug before deciding to let go.

However, before he can, the unexpected happens.

"Chanyeol, we heard about what happened and we came as soon as our shift for the day ended and.." Kyungsoo stops short, hand still on the spare key in the door, staring at the embracing two, eyes widening.

Behind him, a cold Jongin moves to look over his shoulder, wondering why his boyfriend has suddenly stopped in the doorway.

"Kyungsoo, can you go all the way in, it's cold out her-oh." 

A long, awkward silence ensues, 4 bodies frozen in surprise, two for a different reason than the other two.

Slowly, Baekhyun lets go of Chanyeol, nervously scratching the back of his head, smiling awkwardly.

"Um...hi?"


*AN: I'm kind of sick, so this chapter might not be the best. But I tried really hard to finish it and get it out (:

Anyways, a wild Kyungsoo and Jongin appear! To see Baekhyun and Chanyeol hugging none the less? What could be going through the shocked couples minds upon walking in on this scene?

aj0Kser.gif

Haha, you'll just have to find out what happenes next chapter! I'll update as soon as I can, probably when I start feeling better. Remember to leave comments!! See you soon!

tumblr_inline_mtlbuw5Pcx1s7p5zk.gif