Chapter Thirteen

The Doctor's Singer

As soon as his long relaxing and eventful vacation is over, Chanyeol returns to working at the hospital with his new assistant in tow.

Well..

His somewhat of assistant anyways.

"Yeol, can I use a cool stethoscope to check people's hearts too?" Baekhyun asks holding Chanyeol's stethoscope up in his hand, smiling hopefully.

Chanyeol sighs and looks up from working on the paperwork on his desk.

"Baekhyun, we have only been here five minutes and I have had to tell you to put down my white coat, my gloves, and now my stethoscope. Only certified doctors can use that on the patients."

Baekhyun pouts and sits in the chair facing Chanyeol's desk.

"But, Yeol, if I can't use any of those things, what am I supposed to help you with?"

"It's still early Baekhyun. I don't have an appointment until 11:30am and it's only 10am. I'll figure something out for you to do by then, okay? For now, just sit still. Please," Chanyeol pleads.

Baekhyun frowns slightly but nods.

"I just want to help you as much as I can...to make up for...well yah know."

Chanyeol stops working again and fully focuses on Baekhyun.

He offers a small smile.

"Baek, there really isn't anything to make up, " Chanyeol says and immediately raises a finger as he sees Baekhyun about to interrupt. "But I know you want to help out, so I'll think of something just for you to do, okay?"

Baekhyun smiles and nods again.

Before Chanyeol goes back to his paper work, he realizes that Baekhyun is probably a little bored just sitting there.

Sighing because he knows he's about to get a headache, he picks up his phone and sends a short text to a certain wide-eyed doctor before putting his phone back down.

1...2...3

"BYUN B IS HERE!?" a flustered Kyungsoo yells as he flings the door open to Chanyeol's office, startling one of the occupants.

Chanyeol rubs his temples trying to deter his inevitable headache.

"Soo, could you please lower your voice, this IS a hospital."

Ignoring Chanyeol completely, Kyungsoo walks over to a startled Baekhyun, smiling widely.

"How are you Byun B? It's so good to see you again!"

Baekhyun straightens out in his chair and smiles kindly at Kyungsoo.

"Just Baekhyun, Kyungsoo-ssi. I am doing well and it is a pleasure to see you again too."

Sitting down in the chair next to Baekhyun, Kyungsoo chats happily with his favorite idol while Chanyeol finishes his paperwork.

"Baekhyun-ssi, what brings you to Park Medical? I know it isn't this large buffoon," Kyungsoon says, jabbing a thumb in Chanyeol's direction.

Chanyeol stops working again for the 100th time and spares a glare at Kyungsoo as Baekhyun chuckles at the wide-eyed man.

"Ah, well, I owe Chanyeol-ssi a favor and promised him I would help him around today, whatever he needs."

Kyungsoo raises a brow but doesn't question the idol any further about his unusual presence in the hospital.

It's in that moment that a sinister smile crosses Do Kyungsoo's face.

"Hey Yeol, " Kyungsoo begins slyly, "remember that favor you owe me for that one time we went to Samwon?" he asks evilly.

"What favo-" Chanyeol stops short, turning red as he remembers just WHAT Kyungsoo is implying.

Did he really need to bring up THAT night right now? Drunks nights should stay secret. FOREVER.

"What..what do you want Soo?" Chanyeol asks uneasily.

"Ahhh nothing much. I want to hang out with my favorite idol a while longer so I would just like to borrow Baekhyun-ssi for a little while is all," Kyungsoo says and turns towards Baekhyun ,"Would that be okay Baekhyun-ssi?"

Baekhyun opens his mouth to answer but the tallest in the room beats him to it.

"Go. You can go hang out with Kyungsoo for the day Baekhyun-ssi," Chanyeol says quickly.

"Ah, but I'm supposed to be helping you out Chanyeol-ssi," Baekhyun says frowning slightly.

Chanyeol shakes his head and waves a hand out the door.
"Really, you'd be doing me a HUGE favor if you helped out Kyungsoo. He works with infants so I'm sure it will be enjoyable. Go, it's fine. I'll find you a little later."

"Ah, well. If you're sure it's okay..." Baekhyun says trailing off.

He then turns to Kyungsoo and smiles.

"I'll help you however I can Kyungsoo-ssi" Baekhyun says.

Kyungsoo claps his hands together in glee and gets up from his chair, Baekhyun following.
"It'll be great I promise! It will be more fun than whatever Chanyeol would have had you doing with him for the day. Babies are the absolute best to work with!" Kyungsoo raves before turning back to Chanyeol. "We'll see you later giant, " Kyungsoo says walking out.

Also turning around, Baekhyun waves at a still slightly red Chanyeol before following Kyungsoo out.

Chanyeol just shakes his head, before finally going back to finish his paper work.

"What an evil guy," he thinks.


"Whew!" Baekhyun blows out a breath as he wipes the sweat from his forehead.

Kyungsoo has had him helping with all kinds of things in the hospital ranging from helping change the babies’ diapers to chasing around mischievous little toddlers. Baekhyun can definitely say he enjoyed being around the infants, but is glad the day is coming to an end.

"Baekhyun-ssi!" Kyungsoo calls out walking into the room.

Baekhyun wipes his forehead one last time before turning towards Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo smiles brightly.

"I definitely appreciate all your help today, especially since Jongin isn't here today to help out like he usually does, " Kyungsoo says gratefully.

Baekhyun smiles bright and shakes his head.

"It was no problem at all. I love being around little kids and while it's definitely different from being an idol, it was still enjoyable"

"You'll have to come by and visit again Baekhyun-ssi!" Kyungsoo says. "I'll take you back to Chanyeol now. I'm sure he's finishing up his day as well."

Baekhyun smiles again and nods, following Kyungsoo out of the room and through the hall.

Kyungsoo stops and points his finger directly ahead.

"Chanyeol should be right down this hallway in the big space area to the right. You can't miss it! I'm gonna go try to finish my own paperwork before leaving. Tell that big oaf I'll see him later. I hope to see you later as well, "Kyungsoo says smiling his heart-shaped smile.

He waves at Baekhyun before heading back to his office, leaving Baekhyun to find Chanyeol on his own.

Baekhyun continues down the hall, searching for the space Kyungsoo described. Seeing it up ahead, Baekhyun walks a little faster, ready to talk to the giant.

"Chany-" Baekhyun begins, but stops himself short.

The sight is much too precious for Baekhyun to interrupt.

In the space, Chanyeol is sitting on the ground with a book in his hand, surrounded by a group of children all laughing and smiling at the tall man.

"And what does the Tiger say?" Chanyeol asks, bawling his hands into claws.

"ROARRRR!!" the children all say together, making Chanyeol laugh.

Baekhyun leans on the doorframe and smiles warmly, never seeing Chanyeol this way.

It's clear the man truly enjoys what he does as a doctor and it's clear the children love the man just as much.

Baekhyun leans against the doorframe a little longer before Chanyeol notices the short man.

Chanyeol smiles at the idol, causing Baekhyun to blush slightly, before putting the book down and waving and then pointing at the man.

"Children, that's Baekhyun-ssi. Wave and say hi!"

All the children turn and smile brightly, waving at the idol, saying hi.

Chanyeol then stands up, dusting his pants off a little.

"I have to go for now, but I'll read to you all again very soon, okay?"

"Okay!" the children all say in chorus before bidding the tall doctor goodbye.

Chanyeol waves one more time before walking up to the idol.

"Ready to go?" he asks Baekhyun, a small smile still on his face.

Baekhyuns nods, also smiling, before following the man to his office and then out to the car.

Pulling out of the hospital and into the streets, Chanyeol heads in the direction of their homes.

"How was your day Baekhyun?" Chanyeol asks.

"It was nice," Baekhyun replies. "Kyungsoo was really cool to hang out with and being around the infants was really nice too. How was your day Yeol?"

Chanyeol smiles and briefly looks in Baekhyun's direction before looking back out to the road.

"I enjoyed being with the kids today. I get to read to them every now and then and it's always so relaxing being around them. Makes me feel like I have no worries."

Baekhyun chuckles.

"Everyone should have something that makes them feel that way!" Baekhyun exclaims.

"You think? Do you have something like that?"

Baekhyun stops for a second to think about it.

Did he?

Usually when he was working, it wasn't that he was overly stressed, but it didn't make him feel like he had no worries. He supposes he might feel like that when he is at home with his family, but hasn't been back in so long, he doesn't really remember.

He spares a glance at Chanyeol and blushes as the thought comes to his mind.

"Does Chanyeol make me feel like I have no worries?" Baekhyun thinks.

He really likes being around Chanyeol and spending time with the tall man. He really is the 1 "normal" person outside of his idol life and he likes the feeling of normalcy it gives him.

He supposes he has his answer.

"I do," Baekhyun finally replies.

"What is it?" Chanyeol asks, curiously.

Baekhyun turns towards the window, smiling shyly.

"It's a secret."


A/N:

Hello all! As promised, here is the next chapter finally! It's a bit slow, but necessary to transition into the rest of the story!

I'll be updating probably every Sunday, or faster if I can, but expect it then!

See yah soon! Comments are welcomed and appreciated! :D

-S.

P.S. 

Isn't Baekhyun and Chanyeol with toddlers so adorable??