five.

Unspoken Jealousy
Chapter five.
don;t wait until it's too late to tell someone how much you love, how much you care. because when they're gone, no matter how loud you shout and cry, they won't hear you anymore.
J

un Hong slumped himself to his bed. His eyebrows were knitted together, and his forehead wrinkled, painting a frustrated expression on his handsome face. Jun Hong massaged his temples while letting out tired sighs once every ten seconds.

It was quite obvious that the boy was enduring quite a hard time that day. Still neatly dressed in his black tux, Jun Hong had just made it home after attending Jung Chae's funeral. He had stayed along with the Jungs for a few extra hours, just because he couldn't stand leaving them in their devastated conditions.

Jun Hong stared at mid-air while he recalled how depressed the Jung family — especially Jung Hee — looked all through the funeral:

Worse than any other baddest conditions Jun Hong had seen her in, Jung Hee looked like a walking dead. She didn't respond to anything: greetings, people saying their condolences, food or drinks offered to her, and even the dozens of times where her mother fainted out of exhaustion and devastation. It wasn't like Jung Hee at all. the Jung Hee he knew was a strong hearted gentle angel who would try her hardest to smile even in the darkest times, just so the people around her wouldn't feel bad. 

Jun Hong's lips twitched. He honestly felt like smiling as he recalled what an angel Jung Hee was; it didn't surprise him that she had always have a bunch of suitors woo-ing over her, despite the fact that she was taken by Lu Han. Somehow, Jun Hong felt a bitter taste lingering inside his mouth as the remembrance of Jung Hee and Lu Han being together hit his realization. But at the same time, Jun Hong also felt like crying. he never realized how much Jung Chae meant for the girl. If he was asked to guess how much Jung Hee loved Jung Chae, after seeing this, he would've said firmly that even the most beautiful words in the whole world wouldn't even cover to begin the description of the twins' love for each other. Somehow, it made him sad that Jung Hee even had to experience the lost of her sister when it was probably the only thing in the world that would make the stiff Jung Hee openly burst in tears. Unlike Jung Chae, who seemingly never had any problems expressing her emotions. For a minute there, Jun Hong found it interesting that Jung Hee instead seemed to grow much like her sister when Jung Chae was gone instead of when she was still walking on the earth's soil.

 

 

A wondering expression suddenly graced Jun Hong's face. It seemed as if he just discovered something.

But he quickly shook the thoughts off.

 

"No, it couldn't be..." he firmly told himself, even though he still sounded unsure of the words which just slipped out from his lips "that's preposterous..."

 

Jun Hong bit his lips. Without his full consent, his mind repeatedly apologized to both Jung Hee and Jung Chae for his offensive thoughts.

"Jung Chae is gone... have some respect, Choi Jun Hong!" He screamed inwardly at himself.

Right, Jung Chae is dead... she's not walking around in this world anymore. Yes... that's the truth and all that it is. Jun Hong knocked his head repeatedly for that thought that briefly came across his mind just now:

that Jung Chae was still here.

 

However, it's complicated. Jun Hong didn't know what he was feeling anymore. Heck, he didn't even know what he was supposed to feel. His feelings were too well mixed up that he couldn't differentiate what he was feeling. He was left questioning about himself. But then again, he didn't even know what he wanted to know, what he was supposed to question about, and why he had felt that sudden urge to question himself in the first place.

Choi Jun Hong was desperate. He was desperate to know the answers to the questions he himself wasn't sure about. He needed to find someone who can answer the fathomless question he had in his head.

But who?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jung Hee?

 

Tch. Yeah right. Ask her if you'd want to either get beaten up by Lu Han for triggering his fiance's bitter memories or if you'd want to hear it out from Jung Hee herself that she wants you out of her life for eternity — both which Jun Hong would say 'no thanks' to risk about.

So the answer is indubitable. Jung Hee is not the person to ask around to right now; especially with those obscure questions regarding Jung Hee's deep cut that Jun Hong currently has in mind.

 

 

But the temptation is too strong on the boy.

After all, Jung Hee was the only one alive who saw the last of Jung Chae...

 

 

"No! No! No!" Jun Hong started to slap both his cheeks to reality. "Don't add more burden to Jung Hee... don't..."

Jun Hong almost literally whispered that last sentence, as if he wanted to whisper it as an encouragement to himself. He'll need it. After all, he still has his mind practically mixed up along with his feelings right now, so thinking straight and wise would most probably disappear from his book at the moment.

 

 

 

But.... calling Jung Hee once wouldn't hurt that much... right?

He was her friend after all.

 

Jun Hong gulped as he glanced at the clock hanging from his grey wall.

It's still 10 pm. Jung Hee wouldn't be asleep at this hour even on regular days; especially now when she still has a lot to think and catch up about.

After assuring himself that Jung Hee would most probably be there to answer his call (if he'd ever make one), Jun Hong's eyes were now fixated to the direction of his black i-phone. He had reached for it and he had pushed the 'contacts' icon on his home screen. And now his finger was hovering on top of the 'call' button in Jung Hee's contact.

Should he call her, really?

 

Or should he not?

 

Call her.

Call her not.

Call her.

Call her not.

Call her.

Call her not.

 

Jun Hong's head was starting to ache from only contemplating whether to call Jung Hee or not.

"It wouldn't be any harm if I'd just call to check up on her well-beings, would it?" Jun Hong tried to tolerate with himself.

At last, he finally nodded his head in assurance before he finally closed the gap between his finger and the 'call Jung Hee' icon on his i-phone screen.

Jun Hong waited as Jung Hee's waiting tone played 'Evening Sky' by Ailee.

Please pick it up... Hee-yah, please pick up...

 

***

 

A girl was sitting motionless on top of her bed in a large bedroom. She was practically staring at mid-air, making it obvious that either she was having her mind stuffingly occupied with something, or she was having it completely empty.

 

Yes, that was the girl Jun Hong currently tried to reach through the phone. The girl he referred to as Jung Hee.

Jung Hee had been as motionless and ever-wordless as she was right now since she had witnessed her sister's corpse revealed before her very eyes.

She was shocked, everybody knew.

Heck, with the twins' closeness, it would've been totally weird if she was to stay calm and not freak out about her younger's death.

But nobody would even imagine that she would be this shocked.

 

 

Out of nowhere, a slight buzzing sound filled the empty air of the room.

It was Jung Hee's phone, newly bought by her parents with the same number to replace her phone which was completely crushed during the accident.

The screen spelled the caller's ID clearly:

Choi Jun Hong.

But Jung Hee wouldn't even bother to notice the call. Though, her gaze wavered for a second.

Suddenly Jung Hee's fists clenched on her lap.

 

 

No, it wasn't because of the call.

 

Right now, Jung Hee had diverted her gaze to somewhere more particular than mid-air. She was now staring at a particular spot in the corner of her room.

Unable to be seen to other people's eyes, Jung Hee was now staring at the tall figure who she had encountered twice already: beside Jung Chae's gurney a few days ago, and earlier this morning during the same person's funeral. The figure was wearing the very same white dress in which Jung Hee had seen her in since the first time, but now didn't seem to shock her as much as the figure did at their first encounter.

Jung Hee stared longingly at the figure's pale face which was strikingly similar to her own's.

 

Her sister's face. No doubt about that.