three.

Unspoken Jealousy
Chapter three.
life is short. break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile
J

ung Chae plastered her forehead to the car's window. On her eyes, the reflection of Seoul's infamous sunset view could be seen. It was beautiful, as most people might say, but the fact didn't seem to have moved the girl for any bit. In fact, despite having the beautiful view reflecting on her eyes, Jung Chae's eyes didn't exactly show any emotions at all. She was gazing at mid-air — probably thinking, probably lost in her daydreams, or perhaps, she was even trying to escape from looking or thinking about something in particular.

It wasn't really a big difference when it came to Jung Hee's situation, though. Uprightly sitting beside Jung Chae for that afternoon's car ride, it would be a fat lie if she would say that she had expected the awkward silence she was having with Jung Chae right now.

Earlier, she had refused to ride the ferarri her parents had prepared especially for her to take her home. She had wanted to take a ride home with her sister that day, so she had rejected Mr. Jin's — her personal driver — offer to drive her home. Heck, she even rejected Lu Han and Jun Hong's offers to give her the ride she needed. All Jung Hee wanted was to spend a little more time with Jung Chae. She herself didn't really understand why, but she just felt like riding home along with the younger. She really didn't expect much from the ride, but the least she had wanted to do was a conversation. Though, it didn't seem like Jung Chae was in the mood to run any convos right now.

Actually, Jung Hee couldn't help but to notice how different Jung Chae was at that day, particularly. She wasn't as bright or as cheerful as how she usually was. It had started since this morning, if Jung Hee remembered it correctly, that Jung Chae's sudden change of personality started. In daily basis, Jung Hee had known that around her, Jung Chae would try her best to keep quiet for the sake of Jung Hee who wasn't exactly fond of noises. But it was only today that Jung Hee found her quietness 'attempt' to be a bit too much. Jung Hee found it strange that her bright sister would turn so much like herself — quiet, isolant, and suprisingly passive — only in the matter of 24 hours or less.

Jung Hee's hands clenched. In her head, she made a self-note to 'girl-talk' Jung Chae later. She was desperate to know what had happened to her sister.

And so the ride continued in silence, and so the girls were lost in their own thoughts. Mr. Jeon — Jung Chae's personal driver who was controlling their ride that afternoon — started to feel awkward and uneasy as the silence continued. He cleared his throat a few separate times, trying to wake his two young miss from the thoughts they seemed to be deeply in; but to no avail.

It was indeed, torture for the middle-aged man, to get trapped in the two girls' silence. It had been even more depressing when the car met with a red-glowing traffic light. Mr. Jeon rubbed his sweaty hands, trying to get the unusual nervousness he suddenly had — off him.

It took quite an amount of time which seemed like forever for the lights to turn yellow, then finally green. Mr. Jeon sighed a rather relieved-sounding sigh as he released the brakes and got the car running again.

Well, maybe a little bit too relieved there, Mr Jeon.

The old man's mind seemed to have been too preoccupied with the awkwardness that he didn't even bother to look around anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It had been so fast, nobody saw exactly what happened.

One second, the car was casually running down the road. But the next, all Jung Hee could see was pieces of glass — probably the scatterings of the car's window — flying around, dangerously close to her face. Jung Hee felt a sting on her cheek as one of the glass piece pierced her skin, followed by no less than 10 more of those hardly painless feeling.

Jung Hee could only close her eyes, wondering if this was the end. She could still feel her body being tossed around inside the car like ice cubes in a blender. She felt nauseous. Her head was spinning, and she felt as if her stomach was tangled in knots impossible to unravel. Suddenly the girl's breathing became unsteady.

Please... please... she kept praying. The last thing she wanted to experience today, at least, was an accident. But... why now?

A loud sound of a girl screaming filled Jung Hee's ears. Her eyes shot open. She knew that voice...

Jung Chae.

Jung Hee searched through her surroundings, as wide as her sight could possibly allow her to. In the front seat, Mr. Jeon seemed to have passed out already. The view creeped Jung Hee more as the car continued to bump and roll, probably down a steep cliff. Though, Jung Hee didn't give up. She tried to turn her head around.

And there she was.

Jung Hee felt her body suddenly paralyzing at the sight of Jung Chae, her precious other half, now screaming and crying beside her, chanting 'Hee unnie... mom... dad...' over and over. It hurt Jung Hee to see Jung Chae's once beautiful skin, now only left with scratch marks and blood dripping all over. Jung Hee tried to move her body, but she couldn't. Jung Hee whimpered at the realization of herself being completely helpless right now.

Though, Jung Hee refused to give up. With all the strength she had left, she moved her hand, touching Jung Chae's arm to attract her attention. The crying and terrified Jung Chae turned her head to her unnie's direction.

"U-unnie..." she whimpered between her sobs.

Jung Hee bit her lips, now trying to gather at least the remaining scraps of her strength left to raise her hands, now making weak movements Jung Chae identified as the hand sign language Jung Hee had been using to communicate with people instead of the voice she didn't have all through the years of her existence.

Jung Chae's loud wails exploded when she realized what her sister was trying to remark with her now limping movements.

"You... have to live..."