four.

Unspoken Jealousy
Chapter four.
the scariest thing about distance, is that you don't know whether they'll miss you or forget you
I

nside a large room colored in all-white walls and furnitures, there were only silence. The only noises could be heard were the silent sobs of a middle aged woman in her husband's embrace, who seemed to have no more strength left to cry after wailing continuously on the night prior; and the periodical beeping sound that was made by a heart rate monitoring machine, which made it known to people that the heart of the commatosed woman on the bed beside the machine was still beating — none of it made the situation any less tense.

Tangled in countless cables and pipes and life sustaining machines, the beautiful female dressed in white who was lying inside the hospital's Intensive Care Unit looked so helpless. It had been roughly 48 hours since she got into the horrible accident that got her into this condition. Her condition had been so bad when she was brought to this hospital, the doctors have found it as a miracle that she even survived the incident.

What happened was her car was knocked down by a truck four times the car's size which brakes didn't work. And as if it wasn't enough, the car was thrown down a steep hill, which made the once beautifully crafted transportation device's shape unnoticable. The car had blown up only seconds after the driver and two passenger's bodies were evacuated.

Thus, this horrible incident had made the girl's life a work of miracle.

 

 

Suddenly, the heart rate monitor started beeping dramatically. This had alerted the crying family who were waiting behind the glass walls of the room where their daughter was lied in. The middle aged woman who was sobbing earlier started screaming her daughter's name.

"Jung Hee-yah! Jung Hee-yah!" She screamed between her sobs as a group of doctors started entering the room in a hustle, trying to see if their patient was going to wake up... or wouldn't wake up ever again. 

 

***

 

It was all white. No shapes could be seen.

 

 

 

Strangely.

 

 

 

Yet, it was also so bright.

 

 

Is this heaven? Am I dead yet? The girl asked to herself. Somehow... a tinsy bit of her expected an answer. But she knew there wouldn't be any.

She shivered. A kind of fear started storming at her way.

 

 

 

 

No, she didn't want this. She never want this.

 

 

 

 

Where was she?

 

 

 

 

More importantly.... where was her sister?

 

 

 

 

She never felt so alone before. Everything was bright, but she was really scared. She could feel a drop of warm liquid starting to stain her reddened cheeks.

 

 

 

 

 

Out of nowhere, she heard some noises. Some seemed to be male voices, and another seemed to be some females'.

 

 

 

No... no... she just wanted to go home and realize that this was a dream... yes, only a dream. And when she wakes up, she'll find her sister beside her again.

 

 

 

 

But the voices were too realistic to be a dream. Moreover, they were right beside her.

 

 

 

 

The girl started to tremble. This was the second time she felt that undeniable fear; the first one being the time when she was tossing and turning inside the falling car that she felt happened not too long before.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Hey, I think she's waking up!"

 

 

 

 

'Waking up'? So she didn't die after all?

 

 

 

 

"Miss Jung Hee, can you hear me?"

 

 

 

 

Miss... Jung Hee?

 

 

 

 

"I think she heard me. Quick, get her parents in here, see if they can call her back to reality!"

 

 

 

 

Her... parents? They were talking about her parents... right?

 

 

 

 

 

"Jung Hee-yah!"

 

 

 

 

The girl they called Jung Hee held her breath when she heard that voice. It was all... too familiar. Could it be... her mother?

Just then, she heard other people's sobs, and they were coming her way.

 

 

 

 

"Jung Hee... my precious daughter..."

 

 

 

Father?

 

 

 

"Hee-yah... please, open your eyes!"

 

 

 

Lu... Han?

 

 

 

 

 

A drop of tear fell from the corner of the girl's still closed eyes. She was truly grateful that she got to keep her life. It was good to know that she was still given a chance to continue living.

It was then that the white surroundings faded before her. It was now dark, but within a second later, a ray of light pierced through her closed eyelids.

She was coming back!

Jung Hee tried to open her eyes. She wanted to see her parents' faces. She had missed them badly; and the accident she had experienced just worsened the feeling.

At first it was only blinding white lights that she could see. She blinked a bit, trying to adjust her eyes with the light. Slowly, she could see circular figures that she identified as people's faces, surrounding her bedside. She blinked once again, and now the people's faces were a little more visible to her, though still in a little blur. Even so, she quickly recognized the hopeful faces that were with her right then.

Mom... dad... she role called in her mind. Lu Han...

 

 

 

 

Wait, where was her sister?

 

 

 

 

Jung Hee started to feel enormous worry. Was her sister fine? Is she safe? Did she survive the accident? If so, where is she?

 

"Jung... J-Jung..." she mouthed. She wanted to ask where her sister was, but something lumpy blocked .

 

 

 

 

Then she remembered: she wasn't supposed to speak.

 

 

 

 

Jung Hee was a mute girl; that's why she couldn't speak.

 

 

 

 

Luckily, her parents and the doctor understood what she was trying to imply. They knew she was looking for her sister. But their faces turned dim as they recalled where Jung Chae was.

 

While Jung Hee could only blink innocently at them.

 

***

 

The hospital's hallways were quiet; the only sound hearable right then was the constant tapping of a single person's footsteps. Who knew where all the people had gone, but it really resembled a ghost town; aside from the fact that it was still on a bright side of the day, and the walls and floors still seemed new and well taken care of.

The footsteps belonged to the handsome man in the light blue shirt, who was pushing a wheelchair occupied by a beautiful girl whose skin seemed to have suffered many scratches.

The man was Lu Han, and he was taking Jung Hee to see the sister she demanded to see since the minute she woke up from her comma.

As he walked, Lu Han felt like his stomach was tangled in knots. He knew Jung Hee wouldn't like to see the condition her sister Jung Chae was in, and neither would she easily accept it either. Lu Han had pitied Jung Hee and Jung Chae's parents who were in such weak conditions, so he had offered to take the girl to where she wanted to go, without even thinking twice on how he would handle anything she would most likely do when they came to meet Jung Chae.

Neither Lu Han nor Jung Hee dared to speak a word during the rather short trip (that felt like forever to the both of them) to the room where Jung Chae was supposed to be in. Lu Han had been to that room a few days earlier, when both Jung Hee and Jung Chae had just got to the hospital.

By now, Lu Han knew that the room was only one hall walk away. At this rate, he started feeling his nausea worsened. His mortal dread drove out the urge to just turn around, but he knew he couldn't. It had his heart clenched now at the sight of the door to the room he was heading.

'Mortuary'

As it said on top of the double door.

Jung Hee, who didn't suspect a thing as they went closer and closer to the door, only thought that they were going to go pass the door to another room — preferrably wards. So Lu Han held his breath as he stopped right before the mortuary door to open it. He didn't dare to look at Jung Hee's expression as he strolled her inside.

Lu Han thought he couldn't feel his head and mind being attached to his body anymore as he witnessed the backside of Jung Hee's head turning tense along with her whole body. He knew that her poorly shocked and damaged brain was still trying to process what happened, seemingly making her mental wounds more and more severe than how it was before; but he tried to brush it aside as he headed to a door, way out and segregated from the other body-containing fridges at the back of the room; a door that will lead them to a special room her family had Jung Chae placed.

The air gradually thickened as the situation grew tenser and tenser within every step, almost suffocating the poor couple. Oh, if only time could be turned back...

But now that they were here, it was a fact could be hidden no more regarding the exact condition Jung Hee's sister, Jung Chae had suffered. And it most probably wasn't like Lu Han would risk another minute to attempt concealing about the matter as how he had done it before, up until the moment he pushed her wheelchair through the mortuary door. Because like one said, there's no turning back now.

As soon as they were inside the special room, Lu Han carefully pushed Jung Hee's wheelchair to the side of the only bed visibly placed inside the room. The form of a human's figure could be seen taking shape under the white sheet covering it. Lu Han witnessed as Jung Hee's shoulders trembled when he started to pull the white sheet away, revealing the lifelessly pale physiognomy of a fair girl who resembled the girl on the wheelchair so much.

Jung Hee's tears started to lump up at the edge of her eyes, ready to fall and roll on the surface of her beautiful face anytime. She didn't need to see any records to know the identity of the lifeless body lying grievously before her was.

 

It was her sister for all she knew.