fourteen.

Unspoken Jealousy
Chapter fourteen.
it's ironic how depressed people understand the value of happiness more than people who claim to be happy.
J

ung Hee rested her head on her sister's shoulder, hooking their arms together as they walked aimlessly in the all-white land. A sigh of content escaped her lips.

"I miss walking like this," she pouted, "we used to do this so many times in the past, but I still can't get enough,"

Jung Chae let out a rather bitter chuckle, halting her steps in the process and turned around to meet eyes with her sister.

"You can still do it with Lu Han, though. You're Jung Hee; you're alive and well, and you have a fiance to begin with," she said, forcing a sad smile on her face. "You're different from me,"

Oh, the way she said it. Jung Hee's chest felt so full and suffocated. It was like her sister's words was like some kind of pang to her poor little heart. She bit her lower lip.

"N-no, don't say that..." she whispered. "I-it's just-..."

Jung Chae frowned. "It's just what?"

"I-it's just that... it doesn't... feel right,"

Those words came out almost like a mumble, but being a good listener she was, Jung Chae could clearly hear them. And now, her forehead was left in wrinkles, with her spiritual mind trying to process everything.

"Why wouldn't it feel right?" Jung Chae asked, pulling apart from her sister's grip to take a good look at the latter, and raising one of her brows while maintaining her unflinchable expression. "I thought you'd be happy living like this. You know exactly what I did to let you live this way; why are you saying it's not right just now?"

At the question, Jung Hee, who had been looking at her feet the entire time, abruptly swung her head up to meet Jung Chae's questioning gaze.

Did she... know? That was what Jung Hee silently asked herself.

Jung Hee's features was quickly graced by clouds of doubts and curiosities, Jung Chae noticed. The latter took this as an inward laugh as she recalled how Jung Hee would always stare at her wide-eyed everytime she would guess her thoughts correctly, wondering if it was the twin bond, when in reality? Jung Hee's thoughts were simply all over the place it only took a little bit of intelligence and less density to read her head contents aloud.

And yes, Jung Chae knew.

"I know you silently envy some particular things I have all these years. Or should I say... had?" Jung Chae tilted her head to the side as she watched her sister's expressions turning from doubts into pure horror. I mean, being caught red-handed like that, who wouldn't?

Although if she was allowed to be completely frank and honest with things, Jung Hee would never deny any bit of the now-spoken fact of her never-ending jealousy to Jung Chae. There were just so many points she could list on what made the latter's life visibly better in so many levels compared to hers that she couldn't count them on two hands and two feet anymore. But that was a secret Jung Hee hid deep, deep, deeeeeeep down inside her heart, being careful not to let Jung Chae in any of it for the sake of their sisterly love. Although it's not really a secret anymore when the person you had attempted to hide it from the most eventually knew just about everything already, right?

Jung Hee was left gaping at the revelation. "Y-you knew? W-what-... when? I-I'm...."

A small smirk crept up to Jung Chae lips before she eventually let out a light chuckle. "That's why I did what I did, wasn't it?" she fibbed.

It felt suffocating. So so suffocating. Even though one wasn't supposed to be necessarily exposable to pain in this so-called dream, but Jung Hee seemed to be an exception. A suffocating sort of pain attacked her chest at Jung Chae's statement, almost as if all the oxygen she had taken in her whole life had been drained out from her body. Jung Hee's fist made its way to her chest, pounding it once, twice, in attempt on reducing the pain she had to bear.

So that's why... that was why Jung Chae did what she did. Only to give Jung Hee those things did she do what she did. Even if Jung Hee hadn't known the reasons for her actions then, she sure as hell knew now. And this revelation only made Jung Hee hate herself even more than she could ever imagine.

I mean, it was heartwarming, yes, feeling and realizing firsthand the showering love Jung Chae had given her without her knowing; but it felt oddly painful at the same time, realizing what sacrifices your sister had done for your sake yet you could never pay her back. Not in this life.

At this very moment, Jung Hee was afraid, yes. Very afraid. She was afraid of what Jung Chae would do or say next. She was afraid that Jung Chae might hate her. She was afraid to think that this might be the last ever time they'll get to actually chat verbally. She was afraid of Jung Chae's unbelievably unexpectable mindset. It didn't help also to think that Jung Chae might just slap her the next second for all she knew.

 

 

 

"I-.... I'm sorry..." Jung Hee finally blurted. "I'm sorry I envied you. I didn't know what got into me, I-..."

Before Jung Hee could even finish her apology speech, the most unexpected thing happened.

 

 

Jung Chae crushed her into a warm hug.

"I'm sorry too,"

 

 

Jung Hee's heart missed a beat.

'Sorry'? Did she hear right? Why would Jung Chae say sorry to her? What about?

And as if once again after just so many times, Jung Chae seemed to read her thoughts again.

Like, what is with this girl and her mind-reading abilities? Would it hurt to not read her mind aloud for once? It was seriously creeping her out! Jung Hee had thought.

Truth to be told, Jung Hee had never been able to read her sister's mind too much during the period of years where the two were still both made of flesh and blood, but even now, it seemed like Jung Hee would never be blessed with such gift, even when she herself couldn't count the number of times when Jung Chae would read aloud the contents of her mind like they were bold written on her forehead. being twins when your situation is any similar to Jung Hee's end, huh?

Don't blame her, though; Jung Chae's expressions just wouldn't give anything away even with the hints of feelings that Jung Hee could feel a swash of.

 

Jung Chae released Jung Hee from her embrace, before searching for her gaze, the corner of her lips slightly twitching upwards.

"I have to admit now, that I envied you too. So much. Just so much," Jung Chae forced a sad smile, her eyes filled with every unspeakable sorrow that she had kept for who knows how long. "That's why I'm sorry too,"

Jung Hee couldn't find her voice as she gazed blankly into her sister's eyes. She couldn't even feel her own body anymore as Jung Chae squeezed both her shoulders firmly. Jung Hee chewed on her lips as she started to flick her fingernails nervously. She hadn't ever been able to study her sister's face too intently, despite being twins and the fact that they were pretty much inseparable. Jung Hee had always thought that the sisters would look strikingly alike and that there would be no difference between them, so studying her own face alone would be enough. But today, she was proven wrong.

Despite being identical twins scientifically, their features came out quite differently. Although she had been quite right about them being complete doppelgangers, the aura that was emitted from both girls were entirely different. One has a cheerful, childlike, friendly aura, and the other has a much more sophisticated, ladylike, cold aura. No wonder people usually find it quite easy to distinguish between the two. Well, aside from the fact that one of them was mute, of course.

Sighs. Why was it that she had only realized all of this now? Why must she only took the chance of studying her sister's face this way instead of doing it while they were still under the normal circumstances, in the same world?

Double sigh. Why was her mind drifting away everywhere like this? Oh yeah, because she was overwhelmed. I mean, it was just THAT overwhelming, you know, this newfound knowledge, of 'Jung Chae' envying 'Jung Hee'. Why and how would that be possible, you tell me.

 

 

 

"Why would you envy me?" Jung Hee finally asked. Her voice was trembling, cold as if they were chatting in the North Pole. "Your life's perfect. Why would you even look at mine?"

Jung Hee's expressions turned dim as she said so. There were just so many memories that she could recall regarding how 'perfect' her sister's life was. Memories that she held onto dearly, but also ones that she would forever cringe about. These were the memories that had her jealousy for her sister grew day by day as she suited herself with the mindset that the latter's life was all as perfect as one in an infinite paradise.

But now when the all so perfect Jung Chae said she envied her, Jung Hee knew not what to believe anymore.

Unknown to Jung Hee, though, as her expressions hardened, another person's face had gradually turned into a harder mass, her eyes darkened and her lips pressed into a thin line of pale pinkish color. Jung Chae's.

 

 

"Why can't I envy you then?"

Blinking almost innocently, Jung Chae fired the question. Right, why can't she?

Jung Hee, though, could only blow a a puff of hot air through her nostrils at this.

"Because," she finally gave in. "I don't see anything worth envying for in my life. What I have, you have better. It has always been that way," Jung Hee explained, almost sulking. "It's... depressing,"

A frustrated sigh escaped Jung Hee's lips as she attempted to hide her softening gaze from Jung Chae's view. Screw everything if she was to break down in tears right there, right then, in front of Jung Chae. Not saying that Jung Chae was completely oblivious as to what was happening, though, judging from the way the corner of her lips twitched upwards almost unnoticeably.

 

"Depressing, huh?" Jung Chae smirked sadly. "What do you know about depression?"

Indeed. What do you know about it, oh, dear sister?

Jung Hee could only blink in confusion as for the first time in forever, she witnessed Jung Chae's expressions turning tense and.... murderous. What the hell was happening?! She who had always smiled even in the hardest and saddest of times.... what happened to that girl? What's with this expression? Jung Hee found no logical answer.

"W-what are you... talking about?" Jung Hee almost mumbled as a glint of fear could be seen gracing her brown orbs. Desperately, she tried to extend her hand to touch Jung Chae. "J-Jung-..."

 

"You know nothing about depression."

 

Jung Hee could only gape. Please... please don't do this to me....

 

"You have no idea that I've been through things much... much worse than you did. But I didn't cry. Oh yes I didn't let out a single drop of tear nor complain. I endured what I had to endure.... and I flourished,"

 

For the love of the world-.... what has this girl been through exactly? How can she, as the twin sister who always stuck beside her, not know anything about this?

 

"Remember who you are, Jung Hee. Whenever there are pain you must endure, then you will endure it. I endured it before, so it's your turn now. Endure it..."

 

And with that, the beautiful figure of Jung Chae started to vanish, blending with the vapor in the nonexistent wind. Although as her physical appearance started to fade, her voice was still as clear as the mountain streams.

 

"Endure it... endure it.... endure it..."

 

***

Jung Hee shot out from her bed with a loud gasp. Beads of sweat were trickling down the side of her temples and her breathing uneven as if she had just ran a marathon when in reality, she had only just woken up from a nightmare.

 

 

Wait, what-... nightmare?

 

 

Since when did meeting Jung Chae be considered a nightmare? Shouldn't it be a sweet dream instead?

Odd yes, because 'nightmare' was the exact word that just appeared in Jung Hee's head by default.

Side effect from her drowsy mind maybe?

Maybe.

 

 

Jung Hee took a large breath inside her lungs as she ran her fingers into her tangled hair before blowing out an exasperated sigh with her eyes shut tight. She pulled her blanket-wrapped knee close to her body, burying her face between them afterwards. Her breath was a bit shaky and her whole face felt as hot as hell, especially her eyes. I mean, if only she didn't close them from sight, you'll see how red they actually were at the time being.

Just stating the obvious.

Blame those darned frustrations that just wouldn't freaking go to hell already. Like, should she pay it to go away? The doubt is big, my dear.

 

 

Urgh, frustrations.

 

 

 

Jung Hee closed her eyes even tighter as her fingers wandered upwards to the crown of her head, grabbing a generous amount of her own hair in a failed attempt of making all her hair fall out. What seemed to be an act of final stage frustration.

 

Oh how many times have I mentioned 'frustrations' exactly?

 

Blame it on the shock.

 

What shock?

 

Well, having your kind and caring sister suddenly turning all the 180 degree way to a coldie wasn't something NOT to be shocked about, after all. Right?

 

 

 

Right.

 

 

So you understand how that felt for Jung Hee, right?

 

 

 

 

 

Right.

 

 

So it's normal that her body just suddenly moved on its own, getting her butts up from the bed and to the open window of the highest floor in the two-story mansion, right?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Right.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

"JUNG HEE NO!!!"

 

In a matter of two seconds or less, Lu Han, who had been behind the door all the while, stormed inside Jung Hee's room, and caught the latter by her waist from behind, just in time, preventing her from falling down straight to the ground a few good meters below her window frame.

Jung Hee's limp, lifeless body felt so light in Lu Han's grasp as his arms encircled around her waist, and pulling her body away from danger. In fact, her motions were so weak, the small pulling force Lu Han had used on her came to be enough to send both of them rolling on the floor, hitting it hard in the process. Nevertheless, even after all the action, Jung Hee's eyes were still dark, and her body was still as lifeless as when Lu Han had observed her from behind the door.

Yes, Lu Han saw it all. He saw her waking up from her slumber abruptly, he saw her rake her hair in frustration, he saw the cold sweat trickling through the sides of her face, he saw her exasperated sighs, he saw her darkened eyes, he saw her burying her bead between her knees, he saw her attempt on jumping from her window. He saw it all. How sad and glad at the same time he was that he did.

For a few moments Lu Han and Jung Hee had stayed in place, crouching on the floor with Jung Hee's frail body curled up limply against Lu Han, barely living and breathing, and pale as a ghost. Lu Han felt as if his stomach was tangled in knots. He gulped as his arms found their way to tighten his grasp to Jung Hee.

He almost lost her.... he almost lost Jung Hee.... if he didn't come in time, if he didn't spy on her from behind that door....

Lu Han could only gulp at the possibility.

 

"Jung Hee... Jung Hee..." Lu Han's breath was as uneven as Jung Hee's own as he whispered her name, over and over, tightening his grip on her if possible, just to make sure that his Jung Hee was still safe, that she was still there by his side. "Jung Hee... Jung Hee..."

But no matter how many times he called, Jung Hee's expression didn't seem to flinch even a bit.

Well, aside from that drop of tear that was forming at the edge of her eyes.

 

 

 

"Don't... go. Don't leave me..."

 

 

 

 

Two drops of tear fell.

Right in front of Jung Chae, who quickly disappeared into thin air, fuming in anger.