Chapter 5

It Was Fate

Turning around and started walking. I just wanted to get away. It didn't matter where I went, as long as it wasn't there. I walked and walked for what seemed like hours. I looked around to see where I was and realized I had walked to where Mi Sun and I had first meet.

*Flash Back*

"Pants wetter, pants wetter!"

Chanted the other children as they pointed and laughed at me. I was drinking some juice when one of the kids ran into me and I spilled it  making it look like I had peed my pants. The boy who had ran into me looked around and saw my pants and his face twisted in disgust.

"Eww, Hana wet her pants!"

Embarrassed I covered my pants and yelled at him.

"I didn't wet my pants! You ran into me and I spilled my juice!"

"No I didn't. You wet your pants!" he yelled back.

"No I didn't!"

"Yes you did pants wetter!"

At this point, all the other kids were laughing and started calling me pants wetter causing me to cry.

"I didn't do it!"

I yelled as I covered my face to hid my tears.

"She didn't do it! I saw him run into her!"

Looking up from behind my hands, I saw a girl about my age with pigtails and a blue dress standing in front of me.

"Go away or I'll go get the teacher."

"Fine!" said the boy and all the other kids ran from the playground and went inside.

The girl turned around and looked at me. Coming closer, she grabs me by the shoulders and give me a hug. Surprised, I stopped crying and just stood there frozen. Drawing away from me with her hands still on my shoulders, she says,

"It's okay. They won't hurt you anymore."

"Thank you." I said with a little sniffle.

"You're welcome. I'm Mi Sun. What's your name?"

"Hana."

"Nice to meet you Hana."

From that moment on I knew we would be best friends.

Looking around me, I looked at the playground and saw us running around as little girls. I walked over to the swing set and sat on the swing.

"I guess this is the end of our friendship."

I stayed there for a little while longer remembering all the times we spent there as kids. By the time I got home, I decided to confront her about what I saw earlier.

~~~

Standing in front of Mi Sun's house, I looked up at her bedroom window. I wonder if she knows I'm here? I clutched my mother's necklace in my hand hoping it would give me strength to do what I was about to do. Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I go up and knock. Opening the door, I'm greeted with a smiling Mi Sun.

"Oh, hi Hana. I didn't expect you here." she said and ushered me inside.

"I came to return your phone. You must have dropped it when you left." I said as I went into the living room and pulled out her phone.

"Oh, thank you. I didn't even notice it missing. I'll be right back." Taking it, she goes up the stairs to her room leaving me momentarily alone. I think to myself, how should I bring up the subject? Should I hint at it or should I just tell her straight out? Before I could make up my mind, she comes down the stairs.

"You want something to drink?"

"No, I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Suite yourself." she says and walks into the kitchen.

"I actually came here to talk to you about something."

"Yeah? What is it?" Mi Sun replied as she clattered around in her kitchen.

Sitting there, I debated whether or not this was a good idea. But I had to.

"I saw you and In Ho kissing yesterday."

As soon as those words came out of my mouth, the noise in the kitchen stopped. I sat there in silence for the longest minute ever.

"So you did, did you?"

A chill went down my spine as I heard the change in her voice. It wasn't the voice of the happy Mi Sun I knew. It was the cold heartless one. Looking up, I found her standing in the doorway, a glass of wine between her fingers. My gaze followed her as she walked closer to me.

"How could you do this to me Mi Sun?" I asked.

"How? It's simply really. I've hated you for the longest time. You were always the one people loved, always the one people wanted. Always, always Hana."

"No it's not. It's not always about me and you know it."

"You are so naive Hana. Have you noticed that? Everyone I ever cared for chose you over me. I always wondered why. What do you have that I don't? Why is it that people are so drawn to you?"

Walking closer to me, she put her face up close to mine and gave me a little smirk.

"Remember Minho?"

"Choi Minho?"

"The one and only. I loved him. But or course you didn't know that because I never told you. But he chose you. Ever since the both of you started dating, I've hated you. Then I found out from him that he actually hated me. He hated everything about me and I didn't know why. It broke my heart and I swore to myself I would have my revenge. And I have."

Moving away from me, she sat down on the chair across from mine and took a sip from her glass of wine. She sat there for a moment just staring at me like she expected me to say something. So I did.

"Let me guess. Your revenge is In Ho."

"Bingo."