Joonmi's Story

PocaGuri Tales_The Jung Family

"Appa, Appa! I'm back" George said running into the kitchen as soon as he got home.

Joon Young looked up from what he was doing and watched his excited kid in the gray and blue uniform enter the room.

"You're here?" he said casually with aegyo, "How was the violin lesson?" he asked watching his son place his instrument on the table carefully.

George made a face, "Teacher said 'She's Gone' is not a suitable song for me to play at our recital"

"Pff, I knew it, no class." Joon Young said frowning as he turned and pulled out ingredients from the fridge "I didn't like that teacher from the beginning, I told Poca-"

"She's one of the best, most recognized teachers in the area, and the recital already has a set list" Yoomi said walking into the kitchen with the rest of Georgie's things.

Joon Young pouted, "Whats wrong with the song? It's a classic" he said to her as she came to greet him. She got on tiptoe and Joon Young caught her as she gave him a quick kiss hello.

"It's a Christmas recital," she reminded him as she leaned back and smiled "'She's Gone' isn't exactly a Christmas classic"

Joon Young frowned a little less after the kiss, not letting her go, but continued arguing "What was her excuse during the five other recitals? ..The violin isn't exactly rock, but with the effect maker I bought him, your son can live up to his Appa's legacy." Joon Young told her.

"Yeah Omma, the classic jingle bell rock we do isn't as cool as the one dad does on Youngbae" George told her walking towards them and hugging his dad's leg in greeting,"and she said no smoke machine even when I said we had one to use for free"

Yoomi laughed at her husband and her son's identical expressions of disappointment and ruffled her son's hair "As long as you practice hard on Youngmi I'm sure whatever you play will sound great; it'll be a good recital even without the smoke." she reassured Georgie bending forward to kiss his head "But you better go put Youngmi in your room, he doesn't belong on the table" Yoomi urged.

"Joonmi, Omma, her name is Joonmi" George said but obediently left to go put away his instrument.

Yoomi watched him go and waited until she heard Georgie reach the top of the stairs before turning back to Guri, "His teacher also said no flask this time" she whispered remembering the strict teacher's words when she pulled her aside.

Joon Young sighed annoyed at the news but then smiled again suddenly remembering something, "I have a clean record, I believe it was you she caught last recital" he teased with a twinkle in his eye.

Yoomi let go of him remembering "I was hiding it! It was your flask.." Yoomi protested but Joon Young just laughed at his buin, "You were hiding it in your mouth? I remember the Teacher's look of shock when she caught you" Joon Young said shaking his head in mock disappointment and sighing dramatically "I had to promise to watch you carefully just so she'd let us stay.."

Yoomi hit him lightly on the arm and Guri laughed his signature dolphin laugh. Yoomi grimanced remembering the incident again and hid her face in his shoulder for a moment.

Joon Young quieted down a bit feeling her embarrassment resurface. Just like that day at the recital he comforted her silently, one hand holding her back, the other playing with her hair. "If they let the kids play true rock classics we wouldn't need it to stay awake throughout the rest of the recital." he said as he held her, "..How about we just sneak in spiked fruit this time?"

"How embarrassing will it be if they catch us again?" Yoomi muttered still leaning on his shoulder.

Joon Young smiled, "If they catch us again we can just take him out of that school, I know a pretty noona who can play the cello, she can teach Georgie.." he said. Yoomi looked at him smiling at the pretty part and he winked at her playfully "If I work my magic on her, I can even get us a discount" He said wriggling his eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh? How are you so sure?" Yoomi teased back, smiling again.

"I got her to marry me didn't I?" he told her smugly. Yoomi laughed at her silly nampeon, then, giving him another quick kiss she excused herself to change before dinner.

Georgie walked back in as she left and wondered why his parents had those silly looks on their faces again.

"Appa, the girls in class also called me a liar today"

"What?" Joon Young said looking up in surprise from the chicken he was preparing for dinner. "Why?"

"They didn't believe me when I said you made me my lunch box, they said appas don't make lunch boxes"

"Pff" Joon Young said making a face "Give them the link to my blog then. We could always use some extra followers, in fact go ahead and give it to all your classmates, maybe we can have a new game by Christmas" he told him then returned his attention to the chicken after Georgie nooded obediently.

"Why do you cook more often than Omma, Appa?" George asked curiously as he climbed up on a stool to watch his appa.

"Your mother has many talents son but cooking isn't one of them. Do you remember the taste of your Omma's last dish on Valentine's day?" Joon Young asked laughing quietly to himself thinking of his cute wife presenting him with the cheesy heart omelette, "There is only one Chef Jung in this house Georgie and that's your Appa. You should just be grateful and learn yourself, the pretty girls don't cook as well as they use to." he said tasting the sauce.

"The girls in class said Ommas are the ones who are supposed to know how to cook and that's why Appas marry them. Appa why did you
marry Omma if she didn't know?" George asked curiously.

"Mm.." Guri mumbled thinking then, looking at his son, he asked first, "Have you asked your mother why she married me?"

George nodded his head innocently, "She said 'your appa has merong'"

"Merong?" Guri repeated raising an eyebrow confused.

George shrugged his shoulders, "She said all girls fall for a man with merong"

Joon Young frowned at this while putting a snack in front of George, then laughed suddenly, "Maelyeog." Guri corrected him, "She said I'm charming, pff, of course" he said smirking again satisfied.

"What did I say?" Georgie asked but his dad just smiled so he continued "She said more than regular husband and regular man, she liked special husband, fun, challenging husband best. You make her happy and you make the hard stuff easier"

There was a pause while Georgie ate his snack then Joon Young spoke again, "Your omma makes me happy too, that's why I married her" he told his son quietly.

George looked up at his dad who wasn't looking at him but the food he was making. He had that expression on his face, the one he usually had when he looked at Omma when she was busy and wouldn't catch him. His fun Appa looked so different with that face.

"Your omma takes care of me in a different way, plays along with me, and stands by me when things aren't easy." Guri said putting the finishing touches on the food before putting it in the oven. "She understands how hard it is when I don't say a word...There is sincerity in your Omma and sincerity isn't easy to find" Joon Young told him looking straight at him as he finished.

"I just thought it was because Omma's so pretty" George said, his big eyes innocently staring back at his Appa.

"More than pretty" Joon Young corrected, "and yeah, that helps too" he replied smiling as he closed the oven, "Okay, dinner will be ready in twenty minutes, let's play before your Omma comes back down".