Green Eyes Jung

PocaGuri Tales_The Jung Family

Yoomi looked down at her son wishing it didn't have to end this way, then looked back at the man she'd married.

“I don’t love you anymore" she said looking straight into his dark eyes.

"I can’t keep living with you, I'm..I’m leaving" Yoomi said to him, "and I’m taking my son with me”.

The silence that comes with shock filled the empty space between them and she grabbed the young boy’s hand at her side and pulled him away before it could be broken.

The husband looked on after them with a deep expression of regret. He knew the reasons; he couldn't stop her. So he just watched her back pulling away from him with an uncharacteristic tear escaping his eye. It started to rain but he didn’t move at all for a long time still watching them until they disappeared from view.


“Pff, that’s why she left you Pabo," Joon Young said shaking his head while watching them, "didn’t even say anything. I’m glad your mother finally got rid of him” Joon Young said to George as they watched the drama on the couch.

George watched his pretty Omma on the screen crying as she walked with the strange little boy. “Me too Appa, I didn’t like seeing Omma with that man, it’s weird.” George said frowning as his Omma hugged the other little boy the way she usually hugged him when he hurt himself playing. “Appa, do you get jealous sometimes seeing Omma with another Appa in her drama?” he asked pouting.

Joon Young hid a smile seeing his son’s face, “Drama is just make believe” He told him coolly, “That lady isn’t anything like the real Omma. If it was real she wouldn’t just be crying softly like that, she’d be yelling and chasing me with the ppyong hammer” Joon Young said laughing at the screen filled with his wife playing the role of a demure woman. “I would also get her out of the rain first”, he added seeing his wife shiver in the scene because of the rain and frowning.

“Yeah, and I’d cry harder than that little boy if you and Omma got mad at each other like that” Georgie said looking at the scene and imagining it differently. He stayed quiet for a moment then spoke again softly “It’s just make believe but I still don’t like seeing my Omma with that other boy. What if she starts to like him better than me?” George finished almost in a whisper, getting closer to his Appa.

Joon Young looked down at him, ruffling his hair, understanding his son's fear. "..Actually when I first started liking your Omma I kind of felt the same way. I would find myself visiting the locations somehow and I kept introducing Tae Joon, who was her partner, to pretty girls." Joon Young told him remembering.

"Uncle Tae Joon? Why?" George wondered out loud.

"Distractions; to keep him busy and away from your Omma" Joon Young told him, "One of them became your aunt"

George thought about this for a second. "How did you make the feeling go away?" George asked.

"I didn't. It was your omma who ended up making me feel better.." Joon Young smiled, "She kept mentioning me to her co-workers and in interviews. When I'd go to visit she would quietly take care of me and introduce me as her husband. She'd tell everyone I was just there to make sure she did a good job and brought home money. At that moment she earned my trust. And now that we're together it doesn't really bother me"

"Why?" George asked.

"Because she practices all the good scenes with me first" Joon Young told him coolly, "She's never as good as she is in rehearsal but she's improved a lot with my coaching." Joon Young told him with a satisfied look as he nodded at the screen, "She even dedicated that big award to me" Joon Young told George motioning towards the awards on the shelf.

"The big one next to our family picture in the masks?" Georgie asked looking at the shelf's many awards.

"No, that's your Appa's music award, the gold one next to the baby picture of you holding the electric guitar-" Joon Young pointed out, then stopped hearing something "Oh, here it comes" Joon said putting the volume up on the TV.

Joon Young's deep voice filtered through the scene as Yoomi thought about her fictional husband on screen, and Georgie listened to it next to his excited dad on the couch. "Of course," Guri said nodding with a satisfied smile again "with this your Omma's drama rating will go up and soon we'll be able to move near to the game company again for better reception George"

George nodded still listening to his appa's song. Hearing his appa's songs always made him feel better, but it was still weird watching the scene with Omma and the strange boy. Joon Young observed him for a moment.

"Her smile is brighter with you" Joon Young said quietly making George turn his big eyes towards him.

Joon Young looked right back, "Halmoni use to say that to me sometimes when your omma and I dated." Joon Young said, "She'd say she knew her daughter and she never looked as happy as she did when she was with me." Joon Young told him, "Your Omma has the same smile with you"

Georgie looked back at the screen looking for the difference his appa talked about.

"Of course I don't really have to see it to know she wouldn't trade you George. I was with her when you were still in her stomach." Joon Young told him, "Poca was really something when she was pregnant with you Georgie" Joon Young said remembering the crazy nine months. "She made me quit smoking, she said no to a big movie, and stayed home shopping online for all this baby stuff all day then made me put it together. I was scared." Joon Young told him thinking of their bank account at that time going down with all the shopping.

"She made me read all those books about parenting, she made me walk with her for miles every morning, she made me stretch with her even though I
enjoyed more just watching.." Joon said distracted by a moment in those memories, "It was all about you being healthy"

"You walked for miles appa?" George repeated surprised.

"Your Omma has never stopped training me for a marathon" Joon Young replied shrugging, then continued "Then there was the food" he said shuttering.

"Your mother only wanted to eat healthy food for you Georgie, our refrigerator was full of it at that time. But of course you were my kid, so she kept craving junk food." Joon Young said laughing remembering Poca's dismay, "She'd gag at all the healthy snacks she made herself...Then she got this crazy idea that if she found healthy food I liked, you'd like it too. So she started making me try so many weird foods. I became your royal food taster Georgie. I came to fear the words 'try this'" Joon Young said making a face.

George made a face identical to his appa's just imagining the healthy food his Omma still made him eat.

"It didn't really work, but eventually you got use to it like I did." Joon Young said, "Besides that wasn't even the hardest part for your Omma.." Joon Young told him looking down at George who was now hanging onto his every word, at ease again.

"What was? Was it when I came out?" George asked curiously.

"I don't know about that George, that memory is still a blur for me." Joon Young said avoiding the hazy memory, "But I doubt it was tougher than having your Omma lock that cabinet for nine months" Joon Young said pointing at the liquor cabinet, "After that we were pretty sure you were going to be an only child" Guri told him.

Georgie looked at the cabinet his parents kept locked with him around, confused, "That was the hardest? Why?"

"Trust me Georgie, to your mother and me that was the hardest" Joon Young told his innocent son, "But she wouldn't risk anything happening to you, so she gave the key to a friend and would just sit on the floor by it sometimes" Joon Young told him picturing his pretty pregnant wife's occasional longing look again at the wine cabinet in his mind.

"I felt so bad for her after a few weeks I stopped too, even when I was away from the house, and I'd sit next to her playing my guitar to make her feel better" Joon Young told him remembering those nights his wife would lean on him listening to him play. "After awhile you got use to the sound and she'd make sure I played for you every night. The first time you kicked was to a Led Zeppelin song, at that moment I knew it would all be worth it" Joon Young said smiling proudly at his son.

George smiled back, just as he heard the door ding open.

"I'm home" Yoomi yelled, then looked down surprised when she was suddenly greeted with a hug. She bent down for a kiss and looked into her son's eyes smiling big, "Hi sweety" she said smoothing his hair.

George looked at her smile, "It is different, I can see it" he said smiling back.