The Games We Play

PocaGuri Tales_The Jung Family

Georgie opened his eyes confused at the unfamiliar surroundings for a moment and the sounds of rustling and muttering next to him. He turned wondering if he was dreaming for a second upon seeing his neat omma making a mess of appa's suitcase next to him.

“Omma what are you doing?” he asked his eyes sleepy.

Yoomi looked up, startled, then relaxed seeing him and continued searching, “Shh” she said motioning with her finger, “good morning sweetheart, omma and appa are playing a little game of hide and seek, he hid something and I'm looking” she told him.

Georgie sat up and moved closer to his omma, “What did he hide?”

Yoomi avoided her son's gaze and kept looking, “Oh, just a drawing”

“Want me to help you look omma? What does it look like?” Georgie asked his big eyes curiously looking over the suitcase.

Yoomi looked at him then with panic and closed the suitcase shaking her head quickly. Joon Young walked in from the bathroom, a towel over his hair, laughing as he overheard his son's question, “I didn't hide it there buin, you'll never find it”

Yoomi zipped up the suitcase and stood annoyed, “No matter what that drawing is going back with me to Korea” she said giving him a look.

Joon Young shook his head teasingly and she came towards him trying to search his pockets. Georgie watched his omma chase his laughing appa around the room, completely accustomed to his parents strange behavior.

He was the only one that heard the ring of the phone next to the bed spreads and he kindly went to pick up his appa's cellphone seeing his uncle's picture pop up.

“Are you three ready yet?” his uncle asked as soon as he answered.

“Hi uncle Pedro, mm...omma and appa are in the middle of a scavenger hunt” Georgie told his uncle still watching his omma try to wrestle his appa's wallet away while his appa tickled her laughing and ducked away.

“Ya!” his omma yelled in the background.

His uncle laughed in his ear, “Your appa's winning so far huh? Tell them we'll wait for them at the park, you hurry and get your parents ready okay Georgie”

“Mm” Georgie answered hanging up the call and obediently going to find the suitcase he and his omma packed for his clothes.

Joon Young held his wallet over Yoomi's head and Yoomi tried pushing herself up on his shoulders reaching for it, “You cannot be walking around with that” Yoomi said jumping bare foot for a bit then finally giving up, she shook the bottom of his shirt from both sides exasperated.

Joon Young quickly lowered both his arms circling her upper shoulders and holding her captive. He chuckled at her cute expression and gave her a quick kiss, “When you burned all my magazines you said that since I had you I wouldn't need them. Now all I have is a collection of your pictures and the drawing buin”

“What pictures?!” Yoomi repeated.

“You're a heavy sleeper buin” Joon Young teased, “And even if you find the drawing I can always draw it again from memory” he whispered at her ear.

“Annoying” Yoomi pouted shaking her head, her hands in fists around the ends of his shirt.

Georgie walked up to them both, dressed in his swim suit with one of his appa's concert t-shirts over his chest, “Uncle says they're going to wait for us at the park, let's go” he said grabbing both of their hands.

Yoomi bent down over the suitcase again looking for his shoes as Joon Young heard his phone buzz again and went in search of it.

Thirty minutes later the three entered the water park next to Joon ha and his family.

Georgie poured over the map with his cousins, trying to decide which ride to go to first, while Joon ha and Mong Kim watched his parents.

“What did he do this time?” Joon ha asked Yoomi.

Yoomi looked at Joon Young, “He's blackmailing me” she accused making Joon ha laugh.

“You finally managed to get something on Sister-in-Law after so many years?” Joon ha teased.

“I've been building up a file just in case she ever decides to leave me” Joon Young joined in.

Mong Kim laughed next to her husband, “After so many years and you still can't stop teasing her brother-in-law?”

“It's how she fell in love with me” Joon Young told her, “When we ended the show she went back to being treated too politely by everyone around her and would call me because she'd miss my teasing”

“Pff” Yoomi snorted, “I never said I missed your teasing, and you called me, you were the one who missed my nagging-”

“I've never missed your nagging buin” Joon Young interrupted.

“He was surrounded by pretty girls but no one was as cute and y as his ex wife” Yoomi continued.

“Surrounded by all those ugly idol girls, I missed her off-key singing too” Joon Young teased.

“He always wished I would have done that duet with him, but I said Roy Kim or no one else” Yoomi teased back.

Joon ha and his wife simply watched the two amused as always by the usual bickering. “Is that why he didn't want to introduce you to Roy for so long?” Joon ha joining Yoomi's side.

“Pff” Joon Young said, “She meet him on her own anyway working for that company she modeled for, she made him her spy too, I was surrounded” he told them dramatically.

“They spied for me the same way they spied for you, I know Tae Joon reported to you” Yoomi retorted, “And regardless you made Roy our son's godfather”

“That was the only way to keep him on my side, besides he played a big role in helping me keep in touch with you” Joon Young said dropping one arm over her shoulder. Yoomi smiled a little at the comment.

“If you two don't bicker and make up at least three times a day I worry” Mong Kim teased as they walked with the kids towards the swimming pool.

“I think they hold a record for the amount of times in a day,” Joon ha teased, “that time they went to the store after they got married to shop for things for the house right?”

“She forgot we didn't have the WGM card anymore, she kept grabbing things like crazy” Joon Young said.

“You choose the expensive things, with all the games you kept sneaking into the cart and the alcohol” Yoomi argued.

“We needed those for the real honeymoon, we didn't need anymore bedsheets and appliances” Joon Young interrupted.

“We needed more than shot glasses for when guests came over and we did need new bedsheets since we were getting a new bed big enough for the two of us” Yoomi reminded him.

“Another thing we didn't need, the twin I had would have been big enough for the two of us, you always end up on top of me anyway” Joon Young started, Yoomi covering his mouth by the end.

Joon ha and his wife just laughed, Joon ha helping his wife into the pool carefully while Joon Young simply pulled Yoomi in with him falling in sideways and making a big splash. Georgie meet his parents in the middle of the pool climbing onto his appa's back while his omma held onto his neck from the front trying to dunk him.

Joon Young splashed her calmly laughing and started a war where he ended up against all the adults and the kids, except Georgie, since they sided with Yoomi. Eventually he grabbed Yoomi by the waist and held her in front of him til she joined his side again forcibly.

By noon the kids were having the time of their lives and the adults needed a drink.

Joon Young waited until his wife was well into her second beer before he confessed, “My manager called”

Yoomi looked at him, “They said they'd give us a week” she started.

“There was a problem with one of the tracks they just want me to go in to rerecord one of the songs tonight” Joon Young told her.

Yoomi looked a little sad but nodded supportive, “They're not going to start trying to change one of the songs into a pop one again right?” she asked fixing his hair.

“They know better, I know you wanted to go to dinner..” Joon Young started.

“I can just go with my cool husband and share some take out, while I listen to him sing like I use to” Yoomi said, understanding his concern and making it easier.

Joon Young smiled remembering.

*Flashback*

August 31st , 11:00 p.m.

“Thank you, thank you so much” Yoomi said. She bowed repeatedly towards the manager that helped her sneak into the studio her boyfriend was recording in. The manager just smiled at her warmly accepting the food she'd brought for them and urging her in.

Yoomi stepped into the room careful to stay close to the wall where Joon Young couldn't see her and listened to her boyfriend's voice coming smoothly through the system.

She stilled hearing him, a smile forming on her face. She could see him from the monitors, he had his eyes shut, completely concentrated on putting the emotion into every lyric handsomely. The usual smile was gone; there was no trace of the teasing man he usually was. The song was a melancholy one, and he inhabited that sadness as he sang it.

The song he was singing was unfamiliar to her, and his low voice drew her in. She lost herself for a moment in the sound of that voice and the story it told. Every lift and dip of his voice carried her, and her heart beat a little faster listening to him.

It was ridiculous how hearing the pain of the song made her feel like hugging him. Although he couldn't act when he said the words, when he sang them she did believe. It was amazing every time she saw this side of him, although it also made her feel she still didn't quite understand him yet. Where did that emotion come from, she'd always wonder.

Her boyfriend was the bad boy a lot of the time; always playing, always teasing, always having fun living, and she liked that about him, but when he sang he blew her away, moved her in a different level. This was the irresistible charm of that voice.

The final note of the song faded into the quiet and the producer gave Joon Young the clear. Yoomi was still lost in her thoughts and Joon Young opened the adjourning door quietly, sneaking up behind her.

“Cool isn't it” he whispered making her jump. Joon Young laughed his signature laugh as he surprised her and Yoomi regretted instantly being caught by him.

“Aw, it's a pity” she lamented shaking her head and pouting as Joon Young only smiled knowing she'd probably been trying to surprise him again in that predictable way of hers.

“You're late” he told her coolly, like he knew she'd come, “Always doing the common things girls do” he said noting the food for the people in the studio, “Where is my anniversary present?” he asked trying to look into the bag she was carrying. He took it off her shoulder intent on investigating it and she shook her head pulling it back, “Aniya, aniya, wait, wait” she whined.

“You already ruined the surprise, why are we waiting” he said looking down the bag and making her frustrated as she swatted him away.

She sulked for a second, then composed herself as if nothing had happened and turned to greet the producers nicely, remembering where she was.

“Hello, nice to meet you” she bowed respectfully.

Joon Young gestured towards her as if to introduce her but was still not done teasing, “These fans just show up everywhere now” he said earning a glare, “This one chases me all the time since we were married, where is the security” he said ending with a chuckle when she pinched his side. She kept signaling him with her eyes cutely and Joon Young only stared as if he had no clue what she wanted then, “My girlfriend, Jung Yoomi” he finally presented her to the group with a slight grin.

The producers only laughed already familiar with Guri's humor and knowing her from the show.

“She's so pretty,” one of the older producers said to him, “What did you see in him?” he asked her, as usual scolding Guri with his eyes.

“Mm, what could it be” Yoomi pretended to ponder, grateful to the older ahjusshi.

Joon Young was serious, “She was in love with me the moment she saw me and heard me sing” he bluffed.

The older man swatted him, “You should never stop singing then, so that she's stays that way” he scolded him and Yoomi laughed, cheerful again.

*Flashback ends*

“Well since you're going to get a special fan preview, I'll make sure I play coolly” Joon Young told her, “But try not to fall too hard for me again” he told her.

Yoomi simply smiled and nodded leaning against his shoulder as they watched Georgie in the pool.