Paris

PocaGuri Tales_The Jung Family

Yoomi opened the door to their room in the dark as Joon Young carried Georgie asleep on his back.

“Oh” Joon Young grunted, “This kid is definitely your kid, how did he grow so heavy so fast?” he said moving quickly to put him down.

Yoomi ignored his jab “Pff, my kid is rather small just like his omma...and cute just like his omma”

“Of course he's cute, everybody says he looks like me” Joon Young smiled smugly putting his son down on the bedspread carefully, “I guess this was part of your plan to do weight training? Give me a son that grows heavier little by little as I carry him?” he .

“Oh yeah, it was my idea, I had him all by myself?” Yoomi retorted.

Joon Young gave her a look standing, “The way you pretend in front of other people, one would think we adopted him and you had nothing to do with it. Blushing like that, pff” Guri shook his head, “Buin, we have it on film, you were the one that kept feeding me eel as soon as we met.” Joon Young accused coming closer.

Yoomi flashed him a look of innocence while hiding a smile, “Me?”

“Me?” Joon Young imitated blinking dramatically.

Yoomi giggled.

“If they only knew, I was the rookie seduced by the actress” Guri teased his hands crossed over his chest dramatically.

Yoomi muffled her laugh with one hand, trying to stay quiet with Georgie asleep, “When did I seduce you?” she denied playfully.

“Well if neither of us were in on it, who's kid is this?” he asked pulling her close to him, “Married for so long and still playing innocent, pff” he said looking at Yoomi who smiled shyly, “Mean Guri and poor Poca in Paris huh?” he reproached, “That's not the honeymoon I remember”

*Flashback*

Yoomi pulled Joon Young after her smiling from ear to ear and breathing in the famous lover's city. “Isn't it beautiful?” she said in awe,“Their parks, the feeling of them really, it's incredibly romantic”

Joon Young watched her overreacting again surrounded by a few trees and a fountain. He felt stuffy, the sun beating down on him in the crowded place, but he knew she'd sulk the minute he spoke ill of her favorite city. “Mm” he agreed instead following along and splashing some water in his face from the fountain once they reached it.

“We can play freely here” Yoomi told him brightly, “Go anywhere” she said holding on to his arm with both hands, her eyes shining with the excitement.

Joon Young stared at his beautiful buin so passionate and happy next to him, “Let's go back to the hotel then” he told her.

Yoomi laughed at this, rolling her eyes, “But we're in Paris, it'd be a waste to come all the way here and not go to all the romantic places with my new husband. Last time we both came, we were by ourselves.”

 “It wasn't my idea to come back, this is our honeymoon, we didn't even need to leave Korea. What is it with people traveling during a honeymoon, don't they know what the honeymoon's for? We don't need all this sightseeing eating up our vacation” Joon Young ranted.

“Pff, it's a free trip to Paris” Yoomi said, “MBC gave us a free trip to Paris as congratulations and your complaining” Yoomi said in disbelief.

“It's not free, they want pictures” Joon Young reminded her.

“But doesn't it make you feel good, they predicted all the other couples would get together except us. And in the end it was us that made it” Yoomi smiled triumphantly.

“Now they want to take credit for us and your giving them pictures for them to display as proof” Joon Young pointed out.

Yoomi made a face starting to sulk, “Should we go home then?”

Joon Young held in a sigh knowing that look led to trouble, “Ani, we're already here and we have to go visit all the romantic places” he said humoring her.

Yoomi smiled at him nodding when he gave in and then grabbed his hand staring to walk around again.

Joon Young felt like he was on some sort of history tour. They kept walking all over the smoldering city and she kept pointing at random buildings and more fountains and restaurants proclaiming everything as romantic. Joon Young just followed along quietly for awhile but when they got to another place with flowers and a “romantic” fountain again he couldn’t help it and started laughing. “How many fountains are there here?” Joon Young wondered out loud.

“Mm around three hundred and fifty” Yoomi said reading the brochure and making Joon Young laugh harder.

“Why is water so romantic to these people?” Joon Young said shaking his head at all the people taking pictures by the fountain with a mocking smile, “As long as the builder said it was ‘romantic’ the city let him keep building them all over the place? And then they try to scam tourists for money with all the souvenirs to remember the ‘romantic’ fountain and statue and random building” Joon Young ranted.

Yoomi shook her head, “Aniya, aniya” she said holding up her brochure with the story behind the fountains. Before she could read it though a peddler came close to them showing them a series of postcards they could buy of the fountain they were next to and Joon Young started laughing again smug. Yoomi looked at the pretty fountain with new eyes crossing the rest of the fountains off her list pouting.

Joon Young watched her cute disappointment as she admitted to herself these places were not such a big deal, he wondered if she’d finally agree to just go back to their room and enjoy their honeymoon, but before he could talk her into it she brightened again.

“Guri look” Yoomi said pointing. He stared in the direction of her finger not seeing anything but the trees and the side of the Eiffel Tower. “What?” he asked.

“We’re so close now, let’s go” Yoomi said dragging him by the hand.

Joon Young had a sick feeling he knew what came next, “Aniya, aniya,” he shook his head at the ridiculously tall building, “listen to me, we shouldn’t do it all in one day, we haven’t even looked closely at some of the places we’ve been. Maybe we should go back to the museum” he said back-peddling quickly.

“You said the museum was boring” Yoomi reminded him still walking.

“There was that one interesting wing with all the Greek statues of the women and the paintings you wouldn’t let me see” Guri said following against his will.

“Aniya, aniya” Yoomi said remembering his face in the section and his proposal he could draw her better if they went back to the hotel and she posed in the same positions.

Joon Young’s sick feeling grew as they got closer to the famous ‘romantic’ building surrounded by people. It was so crowded he let go of her hand feeling himself start to sweat even more than he had been under the sun all day. He had to get them out of there quickly, “Poca, the line for the elevator is too long, we won’t make it up there before the sun goes down, lets come back tomorrow” he suggested.

Yoomi shook her head, “The line is going down because of that,” she told him pointing out the people leaving the line here and there, “this is probably the shortest it’ll get, besides the night view is supposed to be just as pretty” she said smiling optimistically.

Joon Young realized then the men in Paris had probably built so many 'romantic' fountains so that they could just take the women there instead of having to climb this stupid tower. He felt like kicking something, he was going crazy just staring at the it, but he knew he couldn’t refuse this one so he resigned himself to his fate. “Is that so” he said without soul, following her towards the line.

“Let's take a picture here from the bottom and then we'll take some at the top” Yoomi said pulling out her phone.

As she adjusted the screen and picked a pose Joon Young noticed two men in the background of the shot staring at Poca in the short outfit she was wearing because of the heat.

He frowned just as Poca took the picture. Yoomi looked at the photo pouting, “What with this look?” she accused, “It looks like you hate it here”

Joon Young took the phone away from her deleting the photo of the two men staring at her legs in the background and held the phone at a higher angle so they couldn’t be seen, draping one arm proprietorially over Yoomi as he retook the picture.

Yoomi was cheerful for the first hour, chatting away about the trip while Joon Young quietly watched the men that kept staring at her, annoyed.

At some point Yoomi started to wonder if he was upset about going up and asked him if he wanted to go to which he’d say no, his mind still elsewhere while his wife’s mood started to drop. At one point the line became noticeably shorter as they assumed many got tired of waiting.

Clouds appeared out of nowhere and also gave them a break from the sun. Joon Young thought it was strange to see the clouds appear so quickly and looked up at them reproaching their absence during the hottest hours they’d spent walking. Once they reached the elevator Joon Young noticed they were going to end up with the two men in the cramped elevator and he stepped back letting others on ahead of him.

Yoomi frowned, “Where are you going?” she asked staying behind with him and letting the elevator leave without them, “Are you going to let me go by myself?” she asked quietly.

Joon Young was happy to finally be rid of them, but when he looked at Yoomi he was surprised to catch her mood sad now. Let her go by herself? he shook his head in response as they stepped onto the next elevator but she wasn't looking at him anymore. He wondered for a moment if she was tired, but when she wouldn’t look at him he realized she was upset.

Joon Young was confused. He tried to piece together what had happened in the span of a few hours waiting in line with her while he’d been focused on other people. Still, he was dumbfounded as to why she was mad. They reached the first floor of the unlucky tower and the elevator opened up for people to explore it, but Poca stayed inside so Joon Young waited beside her and they rode to the next floor. Joon Young noticed many people were waiting for the elevator to go down on the next floor, and he looked at the skies. He realized that a storm was coming, but he felt the one next to him would be worse if he suggested they go down so he stayed quiet.

The elevator finally reached the top and the few people still on it got out. Poca walked towards the edge and looked out at the now mucky gray skies annoyed. As the first drops started to fall, the people around them quickly looked for cover and headed for the elevator, Joon Young saw she wasn’t moving so he simply looked for a place to cover his guitar. He leaned it against one side away from the rain and turned to find Poca glaring at him.

“Again” she accused as it started to rain harder.

Joon Young noticed the accent slip into her wife's tone and didn’t have to wonder long what she meant as she started to yell over the sound of the rain, “Always rain, always you worried about your guitar, never a nice day for a vacation, never a romantic moment we can just enjoy” Yoomi said coming at him.

Joon Young just looked at her like she’d lost it, was she blaming him for the rain? He thought frowning. Were they getting drenched all because of this stupid romance stereotype?

“We’re in Paris, this supposed to be the best city in the world for couples and you’ve been making fun of every place we go to all day,” Yoomi reproached him, “you don’t smile in the pictures, you’ve ignored me for the past two hours, we finally get up here, we can’t see the view, it rains and all you can think about is your stupid guitar!” She yelled pushing him, “Why is your stupid guitar so important! I even made a list before we came of all the nice places I wanted to go with you-” she ranted.

“Where is the list?” Joon Young interrupted.

Yoomi pulled it out of her pocket holding it up in front of him like some sort of proof of his guilt. Joon Young took the list from her and threw it off the side.

Yoomi walked to the edge watching it fall in disbelief.

“Stop making lists” Joon Young said roughly.

Yoomi looked at where the list had disappeared, “Ya!” she yelled.

“We don’t need lists. Do we make lists for dates in Korea? Do we visit fountains or climb towers in Korea? We are not this couple, and we’re never going to be this couple.” Joon Young told her over the rain.

Yoomi was so upset she couldn’t think of how to respond. She kept staring at where the list fell ready to cry, ready to kick him, ready to scream some more. She looked back at him not knowing what to do first.

He saw it all in her face and before she could move he pulled her to him and kissed her.

It wasn’t a happy kiss, he held her head tipped firmly where she couldn’t escape, and she could suddenly feel his anger too. Yoomi was surprised to experience it. He was usually gentle with her; he’d never held her so roughly as in that moment. She was just swept up in it. But it didn’t last long; he softened. He started to hold her in a different way, somehow comforting her silently, apologetic and careful. She held onto him responding to that gentle comfort she needed until all of it melted away. His arms still surrounded her loosely as he pulled back so she could breathe again.

Yoomi didn’t let go as she tried to breathe again, but stayed close to him. Joon Young smiled down at his wife a little when she held on to him,“Let’s get out of the rain first before you catch a cold” he told her, his low voice quiet but still loud enough for her to hear so close. He grabbed her hand, picked up her bag by them, his guitar, and then started pulling her towards the elevator. She went obediently.

She shivered beside him once the doors of the elevator closed and he just let go of her hand to hug her to him. He rubbed her arm quietly, “Let’s go drink something warm, something strong” he said as he wiped the water off his face.

Poca stayed close to his side, “Let’s just go back to the hotel”

*Flashback ends*

“Clearly you dragged me back to the hotel and seduced me” Joon Young making Yoomi laugh at him.

“Why am I always the one seducing and you always the one playing hard to get?” she teased back.

“It's more fun that way” he told her, “Want to switch roles? Should we go play in the hot spring?”

Yoomi laughed again, “By the way what ever happened to the drawing you made of me?” she wondered suddenly.

“I have it in the wallet you gave me, I take it with me when I travel by myself” Joon Young whispered in her ear.

Yoomi stared at him “What?! What if you lose it?” she asked alarmed.

“Don't worry, I married the model, I can just draw it again”