Protecting You

PocaGuri Tales_The Jung Family

As it got hotter, Joon Young started trying to convince Yoomi to go back for the day. He pulled her to a shaded bench, and focused on making his argument.

“Let’s take a break from the sun buin, go back to the hotel for a little while and then come back out when it’s not so hot” Joon Young started.

“We’ve only been out a few hours, and it took two days to get you out of the hotel,” Yoomi replied, “Once we go back we won't come out so easy” she said not falling for it.

Joon Young smiled sheepishly, “The fans sent you so many nice things for our honeymoon buin so we'd have a happy marriage, we need to appreciate them” Joon Young said smiling widely.

“I still don't know how you found out I got those, or how they ended up packed in my suitcase” Yoomi said looking around embarrassed, “But those can wait for now, we have to breathe a little and see the city”

Joon Young breathed, “Done, let's go back buin”

Yoomi shook her head laughing, “Let’s just get something cool to ward off the heat” Poca suggested.

Joon Young thought for a second, “We already ran out of ice cubes, and I'm starting to get hungry anyway, how about we go eat at the hotel first” he tried again changing strategy.

“We can eat something while we're out” Yoomi deflected again, “Look” she said pointing at a vendor some yards away, “Buy me ice cream nampeon” she said with aegyo.

Joon Young decided to give up trying to convince her for a little longer, “You want to stay out, you buy buin” Joon Young said ending with aegyo too.

“Okay, rock paper scissors” Yoomi proposed, “kai, bai, bo!”

Joon Young showed paper over her rock calmly and Yoomi made a face, “Again, again, two out of three” she said trying again.

In the end it made no difference and Joon Young gave her a smug smile as he sent her on her way. Yoomi pouted a little, disappointed by the result, and muttered suspicions over how he always won, but still walked off to buy the ice cream obediently.

Joon Young watched her go smiling. He sat back, already thinking of ways to about winning once she brought him his ice cream, then noticed that once again he wasn’t the only one watching her. Different men had admired his pretty wife all morning while they walked, much to his annoyance. Even the ice cream vendor smiled at her brightly, making her laugh over something as he watched from the bench.

Yoomi smiled as she walked back towards him carefree and completely unaware of Joon Young’s thoughts. “Here” Yoomi said offering him one of the two ice cream cones. Joon Young took it quietly standing up again and walking in the direction they’d been heading without a word. Yoomi wondered if the heat was really bringing down his energy, and followed along with him, her ice cream in hand.

“It’s nice” Yoomi remarked brightly having some of her cone, Joon Young didn’t look at her and just nodded still quiet as she ate happily.

Yoomi noticed his untouched cone in his hand dripping. “If you don’t like yours have some of mine” she said putting it up to his lips and waiting until he tried it. He looked at it and her then it hatefully.

“Ash, chincha, you” Yoomi said although she was not too surprised by the behavior, she looked at the ice cream cone, “Fine, if you want to eat it like that”, she said smearing some on his face in return.

Yoomi laughing like a kid at his expression got Joon Young smiling again begrudgingly. He tried to take the cone away from her but Yoomi danced away trying to finish it on her own quickly. In the end they both ended up with ice cream all over their hands and Joon Young barely got to taste the ice cream.

“You should go get another one nampeon”, Yoomi said giving him a kiss on the cheek to smear him with more ice cream then giggling like a kid again.

“So that you can spill it all over the ground again? Still haven’t learned your lesson playing with food today buin?” he asked dramatically, like an appa shaming a child. He waited until she got close again afraid he was upset to smear some ice cream on her face and start laughing again.

“Don’t do that” Yoomi whined getting away from him as he tried to put some more on her, “Truce, truce!” she begged quickly before he continued smearing.

“Truce? What will you offer in exchange for truce?” Joon Young asked, his hand still reaching for her, pressing his advantage.

Yoomi kept avoiding him, “Wish coupon” Yoomi suggested quickly.

Joon Young stopped immediately, “Arraso, I’ll accept a wish coupon” he agreed grabbing her sticky hand, “Let’s go get this stuff off”

Yoomi relaxed for a second walking with him to a nearby fountain, then thought of something.

“Wait, what are you offering?” Yoomi protested, making him smile as she realized she’d been tricked.

“To respect your truce” he replied innocently.

“Aniya, how is that fair?” Yoomi started.

“Should we go back to fighting-” Joon Young said bringing his hand up again towards her face.

“Arraso, arraso” Yoomi gave in quickly, leaning back, “Chincha” she muttered as he laughed again.

After cleaning up they wandered towards the side vendors, Yoomi pulling Joon Young towards the tents filled with pretty trinkets.

The vendors noticed them and immediately started their sales pitch in slow English, “Such a lovely couple,” the vendor started making Yoomi smile, “and wouldn’t this look nice on your pretty lady friend?” the vendor asked Guri, holding up a shiny and obviously expensive necklace.

Joon Young looked at the man with a straight face, “I don’t understand English”, he replied in Japanese making Yoomi laugh.

“He says wouldn’t your pretty wife look nice in this” Yoomi repeating the vendor’s words for him in Japanese.

“But she’s already so pretty without them” Joon Young replied shaking his head at the hopeful vendor while Yoomi laughed.

“Look, look at this one”, Yoomi said to him motioning subtly at a brooch on the table “This one would be good for omma” she told him. She turned it over discreetly looking at the price. And her eyes opened a bit wider, “Expensive” she muttered to Joon Young.

Joon Young looked at the brooch and started haggling with the surprised vendor in French. Yoomi watched him amused as Joon Young played up his disinterest and managed to get the price to lower considerably.

“Okay” Yoomi agreed to a lowered price once they hit a standstill in haggling.

“Aniya, I think I can get him to go lower, he’s just being stubborn” Joon Young disagreed wanting to continue haggling.

Yoomi grabbed his arm to stop him, “It’s a good price already,” she told him and gestured towards the vendor that she’d take it.

The two spent some time haggling with the different vendors, expertly using their aegyo, wit, charm, and no nonsense poses interchangeably to get better prices. By the time they reached the food stalls, they managed to get a few more presents for the people back home without breaking their wallets.

“Some of these could of gone lower, you have to pay attention buin” Joon Young told her holding the bags, “You’re still too nice”

“They have to make a living, I just want a fair price” Yoomi said taking a sample of some food from one of the food vendors, “Mm, Guri taste this” Yoomi said holding it up to him after taking a bite.

Joon Young ate it automatically wincing a little at the bitterness.

“This is supposed to be really good for the digestive system” Yoomi told him pointing at the green stuff in the sample, “It’s expensive in Korea, I wonder if they’d let us bring some of this back” Yoomi said looking at the herbs in the stall.

“Aniya, it’s too bitter, and you’re going to try to feed it to me in your weird recipes” Joon Young shook his head sampling something else to get the taste out of his mouth.

“What do you mean weird? My food is just healthier than what you’re use to” Yoomi told him moving on to another stall.

“Except when you burn it, or is charcoal healthy eating now?” Joon Young .

They sampled all over, filling up on the different foods but not agreeing on much, until they reached the wines.

“Mm, this one is good” Yoomi said, Joon Young finishing his sample and nodding, “Look try it with the blue cheese” she said taking another sample and holding it up for Joon Young.

Joon Young shook his head, “I don’t like it” he told her picking up the ice water they bought a few stands back.

“This is a delicacy, just a little” Yoomi insisted.

“This cheese also makes you fart a lot” Joon Young said when she insisted on feeding him.

Yoomi put the cheese away immediately, “Let’s move on” she told him.

“Why?” Joon Young , “Shouldn’t we try all the cheeses together buin?” he asked smiling while Yoomi paid for the wine and pulled him away from the stands.

A few yards away they noticed a small crowd and walked over to it curiously. They found people surrounding a young man singing in English, a guitar case open in front of him. The musician appeared to be no more than 18 or 19, but his voice was smooth and mature. It was filled with emotion that touched the listeners despite his strong accent singing the English song.

Yoomi felt something familiar in him and turned to see Joon Young also watching the young boy intently. He was so focused and yet seemed a million miles away at the same time watching the young man sing. When the boy finished, the crowd clapped and the boy uttered his thanks as a few people dropped some bills and coins into the guitar case. Yoomi also went near to him and put some bills in the case.

Joon Young was silent for a while after they walked away, Yoomi turned to him, “What are you thinking?” she asked him, “Are you thinking about the unhappy fans back home?” she guessed.

“Ani,” Joon Young denied, “I was thinking about when I use to play like that, I was much cooler than that guy” he told her smiling a little.

Yoomi watched him for a moment, “You won't go back to that though,” Yoomi reassured him, “Your fans are going to have to stick by you even when your married to me now, and if they don't I'll divorce you, and go back to being your secret girlfriend,” Yoomi told him, “but you won't go back to singing like this”

Joon Young turned to look at her, “Divorce me? Aniya, if I have to go back to that you'll just go with me buin, carry the guitar and sing back up” Joon Young teased, “mostly just carry the guitar. But I'm not going through another divorce with you”

Yoomi smiled at this grabbing his arm sweetly and Joon Young looked down smiling too, “We registered, I'd have to pay you alimony if I divorce you this time” he finished, laughing when she pushed him away.

“Who am I buin?” Joon Young asked her, “You think something like marrying you could have an effect on a star as big as me?” he bluffed.

“That's right, I forgot my rocker husband is too cool for that” Yoomi agreed, “Oh! I forgot to show you” she said remembering something and rummaging through one of the bags, “Jang!” she exclaimed holding something in front of him.

Joon Young looked at it swinging in her hand, “What is it?” he asked while he waited for it to settle, “Again?” he sighed recognizing what it was, “What is your obsession with these things?” he asked looking away from the small raccoon.

“They remind me of you, isn’t it cute?” Yoomi said smiling at the cellphone decoration in her hand, “So that you’re always with me”

Joon Young looked at her overexcited again “I am always with you, why do you need a raccoon on your cellphone to remind you of me when I’m right here” he said.

“You’re not always going to be with me” Yoomi told him, “sometimes you’ll be away with activities or I will, and this will keep you on my mind and help protect me”

“You sound like a new member of some raccoon cult, I would rather rely on your manager to protect you” Joon Young said taking a sip from his drink.

Yoomi laughed, “Should we look for a Pocahontas for your cellphone?” she teased putting the charm in her pocket.

Joon Young shook his head immediately, “Ani, ani” he refused frowning.

“Why?” Yoomi whined cutely.

“I already have a reminder, and the real thing, I don’t need a Disney princess on my phone” Joon Young said firmly.

“Why?” Yoomi kept teasing him, “So it’s a couple set” she told him.

“Rockers don’t use cellphone charms” Joon Young said seriously, “You put that wedding picture as my wallpaper too, that’s enough”.

Yoomi smiled, “You can’t change it then” she told him, “You have to keep that picture of us as your wallpaper”

“To mark your territory?” Joon Young teased looking at her.

Yoomi shook her head surprised at the thought, “Ani”

“You think a wedding picture will keep the girls away?” Joon Young .

“That’s not- What girls?” Yoomi said distracted mid denial.

Joon Young laughed taking a sip from his drink again, “Girls? Who said anything about girls? Are there other girls besides you?” he said innocently.

“I don’t need to mark my territory, you’re my husband now” Yoomi told him, “But in case anyone forgets” she said narrowing her eyes.

Joon Young laughed at her expression, “Girls”

“Shouldn’t you be worried about my wallpaper too?” Yoomi said a little annoyed.

“I’ll just get the raccoon to monitor your calls” Joon Young said making Yoomi laugh again.

“Seriously, how can you be so calm with a wife as pretty as me?” Yoomi bluffed.

Joon Young hid a smile from his clueless wife as they walked, “Are you saying you're untrustworthy?” he asked changing the subject subtly.

“Ani-” Yoomi shook her head.

“That you don't love me? Are you some sort of player? You're going to have your way with me then leave with all my money?” Joon Young continued.

Yoomi laughed, “Aniya” she started denying the ridiculous accusations again.

“Of course, I'm the most handsome man you've ever met, you draw hearts everywhere we go, buy raccoons just because they remind you of me, I don't have many reasons to worry” he concluded.

Yoomi sighed, “Ah, it's hot” she said unable to win with him.

By this time they were once again next to one of the hundreds of Paris fountains, Yoomi dipped her hand in the water to splash him over her dissatisfaction. Joon Young avoided it coolly, asking her if she wanted to break their truce, and she gave up on it quickly.

All around them the people started to step into the fountain and splash around. Yoomi smiled at the romantic sight of couples holding hands and playing in the water, Joon Young frowned at the careless tourists leaving their things unattended next to shady people waiting to take advantage.

“Come on Guri” Yoomi said, already untying her sandals. Joon Young sat on the edge with her but stayed there quietly as she dropped her bags and her shoes by the edge and went in happily refreshed.

Yoomi was so busy smiling at the water's cool touch and walking towards the center, it took her a minute to realize her husband was not coming in with her.

“Come on” she said looking back towards him squinting through the water splashing all around her. She started to walk back to the edge where he left him, not seeing him move.

She didn't notice the kids beside her until she almost ran into them and in trying to avoid them she slipped and ended up sitting in the middle of the water with a big splash.

The kids laughed at her as she sat there trying to arrange her wet hair off her face embarrassed. Someone grabbed her by the arms a minute later and pulled her up steadily.

“This woman, always tripping over her own feet” Joon Young said holding onto her arm carefully so she wouldn't slip again, “How many samples of the wine did you have buin?” he teased lightly.

Yoomi grimaced at the question trying to get the water out of her eyes, extremely embarrassed.

“You're bleeding” he told her, “Come on” he said grabbing her hand and taking her back to sit on the edge. He reached over to his bag and pulled out red medicine and a bandage “I knew this would come in handy with this kid” he said looking at her scrape.

Yoomi watched him quietly as he took care of her, slowly forgetting her embarrassment.

“Always making trouble, it's hard being the adult in the relationship” he told her making her laugh a little and distracting her as he put on the medicine, “You're always too excited by yourself buin, now you're all wet, are you happy now?” he said putting the cap back on the bottle and handing her the bandage to finish up.

Yoomi nodded giving him a kiss as a thank you. She wrapped a bit of the bandage around her knee quickly then handed the rest back to him. He put it back in his bag, “Can we go back to the hotel now?” he asked.

Yoomi laughed and nodded again, bending to put on her shoes and pick up her bags.

*flashback ends*

Yoomi looked down smiling at the jewelry box and remembering that day, “You said I didn't need this” she .

“Maybe now you do” Joon Young told her.

Yoomi pulled out the raccoon decoration from the small jewelry box, “I thought I lost this” she said.

“You did, so much for it protecting you” Joon Young scoffed, “You dropped it when you went inside the fountain, right before you fell” he told her making her laugh, “I picked it up and put it in my pocket, I forgot all about it until I found it in my suitcase a few days ago”

Yoomi laughed, “You prepared this for our anniversary? I bought this” she reminded him.

Joon Young smiled, “Your money is my money buin, we bought this. And isn't it exactly what you needed when I'm going away?” he said trying not to laugh, “I showed Georgie where he could find the first aid kit though just in case”

Yoomi laughed still unable to win with him, “That's right, gomawo” she said.

“Make sure you wear it so you remind all the actor friends who you married” Joon Young .