Depressed

Fabricating Stardust In Oblivion

When I opened my eyes, Lay wasn’t there. I got up and folded the covers nicely and tucked the small pillows neatly in front of the big ones. The house was very quiet. Maybe everyone has gone downstairs into the café; I thought to myself and then went to the bathroom to wash up.

I came out a few minutes later and felt better. I’ve had my sleep and I felt like I was ready to fight another monster if it came my way, but then my stomach rumbled, reminding me that I haven’t eaten for a while. As I passed the rooms in the hallway to go downstairs, I heard a whimper, almost like a sob. I tried to listen out to where it could be coming from and stopped outside D.O’s room.

Maybe I was just hearing things, I thought but then I heard the sound of someone crying. I knocked gently and a few minutes later, D.O opened the door. His eyes were red and puffy like he has been crying for quite a long time.

“Are you alright?” I asked, bit of stupid question but it was better than nothing and standing outside his bedroom door like a weirdo.

He nodded.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

He sighed quietly and walked back into his room. He didn’t say no so I walked in after him.

“Have a seat,” he said and pointed to a purple armchair near the corner of his bed.

“Why are you sad, D.O?” I asked.

“I’m not sad, I’m depressed and depressed people like to cry because they think that it will help.”

“What is the problem though?” I asked, “It’s better to solve the problem directly than trying to approach it emotively.”

“How can I solve the problem?” he looked at me as if I knew the answer to everything.

“You’ve got to tell me the problem first.”

“I’m dead now, Raine, like dead, ghost dead. I have no heart beat,” he said.

“I know you are so am I, but that doesn’t explain what your problem is.”

“Should I be happy that I’m dead, seeing as I jumped off the hospital building,” he continued to tell me his story, “I hate life, more than the average human. My mother thought I was stupid and dumb and thought I’ll never make it university. She always compared me to my friends and I get so sick of it. My father…”

He looked at his hand which were placed on his lap and clasped them together.

“I looked up to him; he was like the perfect father to me. We use to go to the park on Sundays and he would take me fishing with all his work colleagues. Those days were fun, but after my mother was diagnosed with depression, she really put a lot of pressure onto my father. I don’t blame him for leaving.”

I reach over to his bedside table and handed him a tissue. His room was organised, everything was neatly stacked up and the books on his shelf was in height order.

“He left when I was around twelve. I was old enough to know what was happening. My mum would be nagging him every day so he would come home late. Then he started drinking.”

He tilted his head back to stop himself from crying. I could see that he was struggling to keep it in.

“Have you ever told the guys about this?” I asked.

“No, I don’t see the need to bother them. They all have their own story to tell and I have mine. Although it seems like we are very close, we don’t really know much about each others’ lives before we came here.”

“Oh, I see. What happened to your parents then?”

“Divorced, my mum was sent to a mental hospital for domestic violence, she tried to kill my dad after picking up his phone one night and found a woman calling him. I woke up wondering what the noise was and saw my mum running into the kitchen and coming back out with knives in her hand.”

I gasped but carried on listening, I wasn’t expecting D.O to have this kind of story and it was sad to hear that he experienced so much from such a young age.

“My dad called the police just as she stabbed the knife into his shoulder. I screamed and hid in my room. I didn’t come out till a policewoman found me under my bed. Then I lived in a foster home till I was eighteen.”

“It must have been tough for you.”

“I lived through it. Trusted no one, was an outcast in school and everyone thought I had the plague. Not liked I cared because I didn’t want to talk to anyone anyways. What drove me to jumping off the hospital was after hearing that I had cancer. Only a few months left to live.”

D.O’s story was so sad. I couldn’t hold my tears in.

“Thought if I’m going to die then I might as well die how I want to die. I don’t want the virus to kill me, I can kill myself. So I went up during the night and sat up there for a few hours.”

“Did the doctors or nurses not notice you were missing?”

“Not like they would care anyways, I was gonna die so I was only another sad patient. I sat on the edge; the sky was clear and the stars very clearly visible. Then I jumped.”

“Was it too hard to live the few months?”

“I’m going to die anyways so the few extra months didn’t matter too much. My life has been a joke all along anyways; it was like a roller coaster ride. My family turned upside down and I guess the roller coaster never turned back around.”

“I’m really sorry to hear this. It must have been so hard for you.”

“It’s fine, the guys are so nice to me but I still cry about my sad life because I guess not everyone is brave although it seem like they are on the outside,” he said, “Thanks for listening, Raine.”

“It’s alright D.O, you can talk to me whenever you need to, and I’ll listen.”

“Are you hungry?”

Then my stomach replied for me with a loud rumble. He laughed and said, “Let’s go and make some food then.”

We walked downstairs and joked about what we should make so that the others will wake up from the smell.

“We should make pancakes and waffles!” I suggested, “There’s everything we need in the fridge and the cupboards.”

“Ok!” D.O replied and took the flour out from the cupboard while I took the rest of the ingredients out from the fridge.

“What are you making?” Lay asked while leaning against the kitchen door.

“You’ll find out soon,” I said and pushed him away from the kitchen, “tell the others to wake up.”

“Ok!” he said and gave me a peck on the lips.

I walked to the sink to wash my hand with a huge smile on my face. I probably looked so stupid but my life (even though I didn’t have one seeing as I’m not alive) right now is probably the best it has been for a long time.

“I’ll go and set the tables.”

I placed all the washed fruits in the centre just as everyone came into the dining room.

“I smell pancakes…mmm!” Kai shouts as he walks to the kitchen, “D.O’s homemade pancakes are the best!”

“I agree!” Chanyeol added in.

“Well here they are!”

D.O placed the tower of pancakes on the table and everyone grabbed some.

“Mmm!” Xiumin muttered as he chewed.

“They are delicious!” Lay complimented while putting another forkful into his mouth.

“I’m glad you guys like it,” D.O said happily, “There’s some waffles too, I’ll go and get them out from the kitchen.”

Everyone was so busy eating and munching away on the pancakes when a crash of ceramic plates hitting the kitchen tiles was heard. Everyone dropped their forks and ran to the kitchen.

“D.O!”

“Bye everyone.”

“D.O!”

“That was unexpected but come on guys; someone was going to be next,” Kris said.

“So I guess the breakfast he made for us was his wish?” Kai said sadly.

“Seems like it,” Lay replied and walked back into the dining room and plopped back down in his chair.

“What a waste of waffles,” Chanyeol said as he picked them up and swept up the shattered pieces of ceramic.

 

I'm such a terrible writer and even worse at updating....sorry peeps! Thanks for reading though! ^.^