Florida

Fabricating Stardust In Oblivion

“Raine, wake up, it’s time to get off the plane now.”

I opened my eyes and stretched, the window from the other side of the plane was wide open and the sunlight streamed through, making it harder for me to open my eyes.

“Are we here?” I asked.

“Yes, sleepy head!” Lay giggled, ruffling my messy hair.

I patted his hand away and smoothed my hair down but I doubt it made any difference. People round us were getting up and unlocking the overhead cabinets.

Once we were off the plane, we found the others lingering outside a café.

“How was the flight?” I asked them.

“It was so prestige!” Sehun exclaimed, “They drank wine and ate cheesecake!”

“Did you drink alcohol, Sehun?” Kris asked, with a worried but angry expression on his face.

“No, I drank pineapple juice,” he replied, “They had all sorts of juices in their cupboards!”

“Where are we going now?” Kai asked, cutting the conversation about juice.

“It’s nearly six o’clock so the sun is going to set soon, let’s head off to the beach!” Tao informed us.

We followed him out of the airport and were greeted with the humid atmosphere. People were pushing their luggage around the car park whereas some were by the curb waiting for a taxi. Everyone wore t-shirts and shorts and carried a little backpack. If only people saw us, they would think we were a group of tourists on a trip.

Expecting Tao to know where he was going, we walked for half hour and there was no beach in site.

“I’m so tired!” Chanyeol groaned and crouched over.

“We’re nearly there,” Tao shouted back, while turning the map around.

“Are you sure you know where you are going?” Luhan asked.

“Yes!”

We carried on walking and walking and walking…

“I think we should call it a day, we can find the beach tomorrow,” Lay said.

“But we haven’t got long!” Tao whined, still determined to find the beach on the map.

“The sun has set now; let’s find a place to rest instead.”

“Okay,” Tao said glumly.

“Are we staying in a hotel?” Kai asked.

“Does it look like there’s a hotel around here?”

“Why are you being so rude for, Tao?”

“Sorry.”

The nearest building in sight looked like an old abandoned museum. We trudged our way there and stood outside the gate.

“I don’t like the look of this place,” Luhan said.

“It’s only for the night,” Kris said, “Don’t worry.”

Lay pushed opened the door. It was completely empty inside. Nothing at all apart from a tiled floor and two set of staircases which run up both side of the wall. There was a chandelier dangling from the extremely high ceiling. Smashed glass was visible under the chandelier. Dust and cobwebs filled all corners of the room and the windowsills.

“This place is creepy!” Luhan said, shivering and cowering beside Sehun.

“I’ll protect you!” Sehun said, putting a hand around Luhan.

“Everyone remembered to bring a sleeping bag didn’t they?” Lay asked, pulling out a folded sheet of tarpaulin and laying it on the ground.

“Aaa!”

“Did you forget yours?”

“Yes,” I said, “That was what I forgot!”

“You can have mine.”

“No, its fine, I’ve got a big hoodie.”

“You can have my sleeping bag, Raine,” Sehun offered, “We can’t let a little girl like you sleep on the cold hard ground when there are nine of us big guys here.”

“No, it’s fine.”

“Hey!” Chanyeol butted in, “Problem solved, I’ve got a double sleeping bag so Lay can share it with me and Raine can have Lay’s.”

“Why have you got a double sleeping bag, Chanyeol?” Kris asked.

“I’m a big guy so I need a big sleeping bag.”

“Thanks Chanyeol,” I said.

“That’s alright, can’t let a little girl like you sleep in the cold hard ground,” he said, “Unless…”

“Unless what?”

“I could have Lay’s sleeping bag and you two can have mine.”

I blushed.

“Aww!” Xiumin teased, “She’s turning into a tomato!”

“Get ready for bed people!” Kris instructed, “Stop making her feel embarrassed!”

We decided on the left hand corner of the museum on the ground floor. There was plenty of space but everyone set their sleeping bags right beside each other. I was nearest to the wall and Lay was beside me. By now, the sun was long gone down the horizon and the building was plundered into darkness.

“Let’s tell ghost stories!” D.O suggested.

“No!” Luhan exclaimed, “Don’t you dare say a word!”

“Do you want me to tell you a story about unicorns then?” Sehun asked Luhan.

I couldn’t tell whether they were being serious or not.

“Shut up, Sehun, I don’t want to hear about unicorns and rainbows,” Tao said.

“I wasn’t asking you!”

“I don’t care!”

“Both of you shut your traps!” Kris shouted.

There was a moment of silence and then snoring was heard.

“Someone is fast asleep,” Lay whispered to me.

I smiled and laid the darkness with my eyes open. I’ve already slept on the plane so I couldn’t sleep. There was no sound apart from the occasional shuffle or snore or sniffle. The moon was out and it shone a beam of light through a cracked stained window above the door. There were intricate designs on the ceiling; engraved patterns which look very ancient yet magnificent.

A gust of wind blew.

Nothing is going to happen. I said to myself. It’s not haunted. Stop scaring yourself. Why did I watch so many horror movies?