Midnight

Fabricating Stardust In Oblivion

I stepped into the bedroom and it was so bright. The window facing the door filled up the wall, overlooking the back garden of the mansion. The white lace curtains were drawn but another set of white blinds were pushed aside and held together with a velvety black rope. There was also a wide screen television hanging above the window. The bed was right beneath it. I pulled my suitcase to the side of the bed and sat down. I instantly sank into the softness of the bed. I ran my hands over the cover and it was so smooth. On both side of the bed were small bedside tables with a small lamp. There were spiral patters on the wall, but everything was painted white so you couldn’t really see the patterns until you felt it. This room was just amazing.

The clock on the wall read nine forty five. It was getting late. So I ped my suitcase and pulled out a pair of pyjama bottoms and a t-shirt. I walked to the left side of the bed which turned into a corner which I presumed was a door to the bathroom. It was nearly the same size as my living room! Does every room in this house have an en suit the same size as this?

I drew the blinds down. I quickly had a shower and climbed into bed. Today has been a long day and university is starting next week. If my aunt didn’t tell me to get out of the car, then I would be at the campus already and starting to settle in before lectures start. I quickly fell asleep, my feet and my head slightly aching.

-----

“Wakey wakey!” my mum sang happily and pulling my curtains wide open. Sunlight flowed into my room and lit it up, “First day of school today, you don’t want to be late do you?”

“Five more minutes, Mum!” I grumbled back from under the duvet.

“No, wake up now. Daddy has made waffles for breakfast, if you don’t go downstairs soon; he is going to eat it all.”

I lifted the duvet over my body and rolled to the side of the bed. My legs fell to the side and I slipped my feet into my bunny slippers. I saw myself on the mirror on my closet and my bed hair is just astounding. I shuffled out of the door and into the bathroom to wash my face. My mum stayed in my room to tidy it up. My parents are the best.

“Morning Daddy!” I said happily whilst hopping down the stairs and into the kitchen. Seeing my dad in a pink frilly apron first thing on a Monday morning just made my day brighter.

“Morning sweetheart!” he replied, “What do you want on your waffle?”

“Chocolate and strawberry, please!”

I took a sip of orange juice and opened the newspaper.

“Chocolate, in the morning?” my dad muttered, “You’re not scared of putting on weight?”

“Nah!”

“If you say so.” He placed a plate of homemade waffles topped with chocolate and strawberries in front of me and I tucked in.

“Mmm, you’re waffles are the best!” I mumbled with my mouth full.

“So not ladylike, don’t talk with your mouth full!” he said but just laughed at my approval.

-----

I was woken by a banging and screeching sound coming from next door. The lamp beside me switched on and I peeked at the clock. It was quarter to twelve. The sound stopped after a few seconds and I fell back asleep but before too long, it started again.

I wonder what or who it could be?

Curiosity got the better of me so I quietly opened the door and stepped out into the unfamiliar door way. I tiptoed a few steps further down the hallway and stopped outside another door. It was exactly the same as my door but the scraping sound continued. I gently knocked on the door. Nothing happened. I knocked even louder this time. After a few seconds, it stopped.

I was about to walk back to my room when the door suddenly creaked open. I stepped back and watched in horror as the door got wider and wider.

“Come in.”

The voice came from inside the room. It sounded like it was an old man who was out of breath. I peeked through the door and a small grandfather clock chimed. It was midnight.

“What is your name?” The voice asked.

The room was black; there was no source of light whatsoever. I could not see anything so I continued to stand in the doorway.

“Erm, my name is Raine,” I replied back, my voice shivering in fright.

“Why did you knock on the door?”

“I, erm, heard some sound so I came over to see what was happening,” I stuttered.

Then, I heard the sound of a chair spinning around. The light flashed on and I covered my eyes because it started to sting from the sudden brightness. After a while, I lifted my hands away and came face to face to an old man.

I screamed so loud that the windows shook from the vibration. His face was horrifying. He didn’t have any eyeballs but blood was gushing out from the two holes. His skin was white and crinkly and his mouth hung open like a ghoul. His hair was silvery white and spiked out in different directions. His bony white hand reached out for me. His fingernails were long, pointy and dirt gathered around the edges, like he has been digging the muddy ground.

Shaking and shattering, I turned and ran out of the room.

“Miss Raine!”

The voice inside the room called out to me but I continued to run down the hallway towards the stairs.

“Don’t leave me here!”

“Aaa, get away from me!” I shouted in fear and felt a hand on my shoulder, I turned around to look at it and it was the old man’s hand.

I slapped it away and shrieked for help.

Where are the stairs?

Why does it feel like the hallway is getting longer and longer?