Rushed

Fabricating Stardust In Oblivion

“Where is the bus?” I asked impatiently, waiting by the bus stop with Lay.

“Calm down, it will be here soon,” Lay said and tried to stopped me from jumping around by placing both his hand on my shoulders.

“But what if the timer is really the amount of time we have, to find out about Chen’s death and then fulfil his wish?” I said urgently, “And what if we don’t have enough time? Or what if something bad happens?”

“That’s a lot of what ifs,” Lay laughed, “Don’t worry.”

“It’s not funny Lay!” I said, hitting him lightly on the arm, “This is serious business and we need to help them out in case the situation about the spirit and human worlds really occurs.”

“Okay, Miss Anxious!”

Finally, the bus came and we hopped on after a few people with their suitcases on their way to the airport as well. We stood by the door, hoping to jump off as soon as the door opens and get the flight back to the island.

“Excuse me, can you drive a little faster please?” I asked the bus driver, behind the glass window.

He completely ignored me as I stared at him with an annoyed expression. I was about to bang on the window when Lay held my hand back.

“Raine, we're ghosts remember?” Lay reminded me, “You'll scare off people if you do that,”

I can only sigh, sulking back and leant against the side of the bus.

As soon as the airport came into view, I started hopping around and stood very close to the door. The bus jolted to a stop and I hopped down and ran to the automatic doors with Lay following closely behind.

“Look!” I shouted to Lay and pointed at the screen above my head, “The gate is closing in two minutes, hurry!”

“Two minutes?” he gasped, “Will we get there in time?”

“If we hurry up, we might get there before they close the gates!”

We half ran and half floated to the gate. It was weird hovering because I felt like I was being lifted higher and higher if I stayed afloat for longer. When we got there, the security guard was pulling the poles with the ribbons across and we floated over and ran in through the security checks. I made a silly mistake of running through the x-ray machine but luckily, nothing happened. When we got on the plane, we were out of breath. The plane wasn’t lifting off soon and I was constantly checking the time. I took out the notebook from my backpack and looked at the time. 22:55:34. I hoped we have enough time.

“Lay?” I asked, turning around to look at him, “Do we just ask them to tell us how they died?”

“I think so,” Lay answered, “And then they have to tell us their wish as well.”

“And we have to complete their wish!” I said, “Would we have enough time?”

“Maybe.”

We mostly slept throughout the whole plane journey, though I grew restless and agitated looking over the time, over and over again. The moment the plane landed, I reached over to Lay and nudged him gently.

“We’re here!” I said.

“That was quick!”

As soon as the doors were opened, we ran out of the airport. The timer on the back of the book has decreased so much that I gasped when I saw it. 04:11:23.

“Aaa!” I shouted in panic and grabbed Lay’s arm, “We’re not gonna make it!”

“What?” he shouted, “Why?”

“Look at the time!” I said and shoved him the book under his nose, the seconds were dropping and the minutes were fading, “Let’s get back quickly!”

We sat in the trailer attached to a truck and it tumbled against the uneven road. Soon the dusty horizon came into view. The small village was within distance and we were closer to Chen now.

“Is this truck going to stop?” I asked, a little worried, this road seemed to go on and the truck isn’t going to stop in the middle of a road as if the driver knew he had ghosts to drop off at this point.

“We’re going to have to jump off.”

“But the car is going so fast!” I panicked, knowing that a few broken bones would be the worst case scenario.

“We don’t have a choice, Raine!” Lay shouted, “On the count of three, just jump down and then do a forward roll, try and not hit your head.”

“Okay!” I nodded nervously. I stood up and walked towards the end of the truck, if the vehicle stops now, we will jerk forward and fall out of the car and I couldn’t bear to think of the injuries.

I gripped the handles of my bag on my shoulders and prepared myself.

“Okay?” Lay said, “One, two, three!”

I jumped and the impact between my feet and the ground shook all the bones in my body, I tucked my head in and rolled forward, resulting in me sprawled across the dusty road, on the other hand, Lay stood up after the roll and finished off with a smile, pleased with himself.

“Raine!” Lay suddenly noticed, “Are you okay?”

I stood up and brushed off the dust. No broken bones, gladly. I looked up to my knees and my elbows, there was little pain on them, but there wasn't a single scratch or some sort.

“Just a few cuts and bruises I guess?” I assumed, “Still alive, it went better than I thought!”

“Let’s go!”

Lay ran ahead whilst I limped back down the isolated street, the night was closing in and I was tired. We got into the café and climbed up the stairs.

“Lay!” Suho shouted from the living room, “Raine, you’re back!”

“Hey, Suho!” I greeted light-heartedly.

When I got into the living room, I collapsed onto the sofa, I was so tired but when I looked at the timer, we only had 2 hours left.

“Suho!” I sat up and gripped his arm, making him face me, “Where is Chen?”

“In the kitchen downstairs,” he replied, “Why?”

I showed him the book with the timer, “I need to know how he died and his wish and how the rest of you died as well, but Chen is first and we don’t have long left!”

Without asking any questions, he ran downstairs to get Chen. Soon, all of them came up and sat down in the living room.

“Woah!” Sehun looked at me weirdly and said, “You’re a mess!”

“I know..” I replied, “Where's Chen? Chen!”

There were so many of them, that I had to scan my eyes around to try and find him.

“Here!” he replied, while taking his seat right next to me.

“Eleven of you are the spirits Lay and I need to help out, so you need to explain to me how you died and what your wish is, okay?” I explained.

There was a confused look on everyones face. There was a long silence before they replied “Sure!”

"Now Chen, I need to help you first," I said. "Quick tell me your wish!"

“What?” Chen exclaimed, “You want me to start now?”

“Of course, we don’t have much time left!” I showed him the timer and it read 01:55:34.

“Okay,” Chen started, “It happened 8 years ago.”