Dusk

Fabricating Stardust In Oblivion

“Miss?”

I felt someone slapping my cheeks gently. Slowly, my eyes fluttered open and adjusted to the view before me.

“Oh, you’re finally awake!”

I sat up and placed my hand on forehead and I felt a bump. Luckily it wasn’t bleeding. I caught a glimpse of myself in the window in front of me and realised how my hair was starting to resemble a bird’s nest. Many strands have managed to escape from my hair band and all ruffled on my head. My fringe was twisted in odd direction. The colour of my hair was contributing to the fact that it looked like a bird’s nest.  

“I am very sorry about earlier, I didn’t know someone was standing behind the door.”

I turned around and noticed that I was still in someone’s arms. I stood up but maybe a little too fast because I felt light headed and fell again. He caught me.

“I think you should sit down,” he suggested.

He guided me towards one of the metal chairs and wiped the dust away before helping me to sit down.

“Thank you,” I finally replied. My throat was dry and my head was hurting. I couldn’t remember how hard I hit the door.

“Here, have a drink.”

He placed a cup of hot water in front of me and I quickly gulped it down.

“Slowly!” he said with a chuckle, patting my back as I coughed.

“Thank you!”

“That’s alright, I’m sorry again for hitting you with the door.”

I shook my head and smiled at him. He had black hair which was neatly combed down. His soft gentle eyes were easy to melt into and his features spoke out perfection, angelic and sweet. Then I remembered where I was, inside the old, dusty, haunted café.

“Erm, can I ask what this place is?”

“It’s a café.”

I frowned because I thought I have finally met someone who could explain where or what this place is. Not just the café, but the whole village itself. I looked around and noticed that the cups and saucers were still floating around the air. The kitchen door was still opening and shutting but the sky outside was getting darker and darker. I looked at my watch and it was already nine o’clock.

“Why are you here?” he suddenly asked me.

I looked away from my wrist and glanced up at him. He was sitting beside me on one of the metal chairs. A tray with a slice of cake on glided above his head and places itself on the table beside us.

“Did you see that?” I asked, pointing to the table.

“Yes, I did, but you haven’t answered my question.”

“I have no idea where I am. My aunt told me to get out of the car and I was trying to find a hotel but then I was suddenly in a cemetery and when I walk out, I found this little village. Everything in here is scaring me.” I said to him, pulling my jacket closer because it was getting cold. The smell of bread and coffee lingered in the atmosphere.

He continued to stare at me with those gentle eyes but I can tell that he didn’t believe what I was saying.

“I’m telling the truth, if you can get me out of here, I’ll be very thankful.”

“It’s already past nine o’clock, it will be too dangerous. You should spend the night at my house and then I’ll tell you how to get out.”

My head was still throbbing but when he stood up, I followed him out of the café. He was carrying my suitcase and he led me down a small, dark alleyway. The walls of the building on both side was wet. I heard the sound of dripping water from one of the gutter above my head. It was so dark I couldn’t see where I was walking until I stumbled right into him.

“I’m sorry!” I apologised.

“Try and not get lost,” he instructed and grabbed my hand whilst his other hand was carrying my suitcase.

Should I carry on following him? Or should I just bite his hand so he would let go and then I can run away?

What happens if...

I stopped whatever thought was running through my head and froze on the spot. The building in front of me was dazzling. It was white because the porch lights were shining so brightly that it felt like day time. There was a small path which led up to the fountain. A small statue of a little boy was in the middle and excreting water into the fountain below. Sprinkles of water danced around as the light reflected from them casting rainbows in different directions.

Rose bushes surrounded the path and it encircled the fountain and eventually leading to the front door of the mansion. He pushed it open and held the door for me as I stepped in. Maybe I’m exaggerating but I had to hold my hand above my eyes to shield them from the blinding brightness of the house inside.

“Follow me.”

So I did. We walked up the left stairs and then down a long stretch of hallway. The banisters are black with elaborate gold strands twisting around them. The marble stairs were squeaky clean and there were gold pillars on either side at the top of the staircase.

He stopped outside a door. I lost count of how many doors we have walked pass because there were so many.  

“This is your room. If you need anything just give me a shout. Good night.”

Then he left.

“Thank you so much!” I shouted back.

He just waved his hand over his head and disappeared around the corner. I turned back to my room and stared at the handle. I placed my hand on it and twisted it. It gently eased open.