Chapter Nine — The Questions

Professor Taekwoon and the Endless Eternity

The pair makes their way onto Flatstone Street. They bump into vaguely familiar faces, as they walk up and down the roads. Various greet them stores great them, not that there is time to look.
Taekwoon glances a head in front of a shop with fancy plates. He sees a familiar man, with very familiar red hair. He sprints after the man, as he rounds a corner. Taekwoon whips around the corner, panting heavily. He searches, but doesn't find the man. Taekwoon frowns, and looks at his reflection in the shop glass. His eyes flicker to his hat, and he sighs.

(The Past — Ten Years Ago)

Taekwoon sits at a table in his apartment. "Here you go." He looks up at his lover, and down at the box before him.
"What's this now?" Taekwoon asks, looking at him.
"Open it and see," he commands, pushing his arms. Taekwoon stands, and unties the pink ribbon. He pulls of the blue box top, and frowns.
"A hat?" He asks, looking at the top hat presented to him. He frowns, and looks at his love.
"For the newly appointed professor. Congratulations," he giggles, smiling up at him.
"Thank you," Taekwoon speaks, looking at him. He stands.
"You are a fully fledged part of the academic community now. So you have to look the part," he speaks, pulling off Taekwoon's red cap. He slips the top hot on in its place. "Very dashing Taekwoon. The picture of a true gentleman."
"A true gentleman? Hmm..." Taekwoon starts pulling it off.
"No! Leave it on," his love commands, forcing it back down. "It suits you. It really does. So, no taking it off." He moves back. "Oh, look at the time. I didn't realize how late it was." He runs to his white lab coat. "I have to go to the lab. We're running a very important experiment today. Let's continue this at dinner today. Promise me you'll wear the hat." Taekwoon adjusts it over his head. "It's not your usual style, but promise me you'll keep an open mind. After all, isn't that what a gentleman does?"
He runs out of the house. Taekwoon chuckles, and adjusts the hat further.

(The Present)

Taekwoon hums, as he comes to from the memory.
"Did you see that, Professor? I think it was the same man from earlier," Sanghyuk speaks, looking up at him.
"I suppose it was," Taekwoon mutters, looking at from him.
"Are you alright, Professor?" Sanghyuk asks, frowning deeply.
"What? Yeah, I'm fine," Taekwoon confirms, shaking his head.
"If you say so. Oh, look. It's the stairs Gongchan mentioned," Sanghyuk utters, running at them.
"I could have sworn that was Hakyeon, but it can't be," Taekwoon mutters to himself, before chasing after Sanghyuk. Some of Gongchan's words ring in his ears. "Perhaps the mayor wasn't abducted ten years ago. Could he have been brought here like Sanghyuk and me? What if time travel is real? Maybe then, it was Hakyeon. No. That defies logic. Hakyeon can't be here. Not after that awful day, there is no way."
"Come on, Professor!"
Taekwoon shakes his head, and sprints to catch up to him. They pass by a statue. They pause to read the words the plaque.
"Do you think we'll be together as friends forever, Professor?" Sanghyuk asks, looking up at him.
"Of course we will," Taekwoon confirms, as they continue on their way.
They enter a dark alleyway. They pass a test, and Sanghyuk stills. "Do you think this is truly the way? It's grimy and dark."
"Does this place frighten you, Sanghyuk?" Taekwoon teases, stopping next to him.
"Me? Scared? No way! I just want to get out of here? Let's go," he speaks, leading the way out.
"Don't just run off, Sanghyuk. You could slip!" Taekwoon calls after him. Sanghyuk does just that. "What did I just tell you?"
"Professor, are you smiling right now?" Sanghyuk asks, looking up at him. Taekwoon hardens his face.
"Smiling? Me? Certainly not, but are you alright?"
"I hurt my knee. I'll be fine."
"Good. I was worried. Let's go."
Sunlight reaches them, as they leave the small alleyway. A river is revealed to them.
"Here's the river."
"Indeed, majestic as ever," Taekwoon comments.
"I supposed something's don't change after ten whole— Hey that wasn't there!"
"I see you've noticed it too," Taekwoon comments.
"That has got to be the biggest lighthouse I've ever seen. That's not in our Seoul," Sanghyuk comments.
"It's almost perfect. It must be new," observes Taekwoon. They carry on. Woods temporarily surround them.
A gate is presented to them. Two people guard it, and stop them. "Nobody passes by here," the larger speaks. Taekwoon nods slowly, and turns back a little ways.
"Sanghyuk, do they remind you of anyone we know?" Taekwoon asks.
"Do you mean Inspector Wufan?" Sanghyuk asks, as it clicks in his mind. "I don't believe he'd enjoy being called a look-a-like to a criminal."
"I suppose you're right, but don't you find it odd that he was invited to such an event," Taekwoon starts.
"The time machine demonstration?" Sanghyuk asks.
"Yes. Why would a police inspector be invited to such a thing?" Taekwoon questions, looking down at him.
"He's cracked a few hard cases. Maybe it's his fame which got him the invite," Sanghyuk offers, crossing his arms.
"I assumed the same thing. It was pseudocelebrity status which got us tickets," Taekwoon comments.
"Pseudocelebrity? Nonsense! You are the great professor Taekwoon!" Sanghyuk exclaims, smiling at him. Taekwoon chuckles.
"You are the only one. But from what I saw. There was mostly media or upperclass," he comments. "We were clear exceptions."
"So?"
"So, the question remains. Dr. Kim Ravi, or whoever he is, why did he invite us? I'd love to hear the inspector take on this matter."
"Yeah. It's too bad we'd have to go back to our time. Wait, what if the inspector is still working in this time!"
"Professor! There you are!"
The pair turns to find Hyuk running to them.
"Hello, Hyuk," Taekwoon greets.
"I couldn't help, but hear you. You'd like to talk with the Inspector?" Hyuk asks, looking up at him.
"Yes. While the events are fresh in his mind," Taekwoon speaks, nodding at him.
"I think that can happen," Hyuk comments.
"How?" Sanghyuk asks.
"Let's continue this way from prying eyes," Hyuk whispers, walking away. "Let us head to the woods over there."
They move swiftly, and shadows overcome them.
"There. Now we may not be overheard," Hyuk comments.
"You said we could talk to the inspector in our own time," Taekwoon speaks briefly. "I imagine we'll have to return to the present. Is that possible?"
"Indeed. Through the wormhole, in the clock shop," Hyuk explains.
"The door was bolted shut. How would we get in?" Sanghyuk questions.
"That shouldn't be a problem. I can get that open for you," Hyuk explains.
"Strange. How would you have such easy access? Taekwoon asks, turning to him.
"I promise I'll explain when we get there. Please trust me," Hyuk begs, pressing his lips into a fine line. "But for now, let's return to the clock shop."
"What about Chinatown?" Sanghyuk asks.
"The situation has changed," Hyuk speaks, turning away from the pair.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I hope the Sanghyuk/Hyuk thing isn't that confusing. Also, we have an inkling of Hakyeon/Neo. Only took ten chapters. :/ I hope to write more soon. (-<) <3 ^_^