Points from mother-in-law

Beyond the Screen

Yoomi smelled something good once she entered her house, found her mother was busy cooking even though it was only 4 pm.

"Mom, I am home~~" she greeted her mother cheerfully while putting her bag on the sofa carelessly. She began to hum a random song as she approached the kitchen.

"Yah, put your bag in your room and help me out here," nagged her mother while pointing out the slightly messy kitchen. 

"What is this, why are you already cooking this early? Are we celebrating something I don't know about?" asked Yoomi curiously while checking the soup that is currently boiling. 

Her mother beamed and smiled widely, "I am in the mood of cooking. It's your big day after all, first day of your marriage! That's something worth celebrating!"

Yoomi sighed. She just joined We Got Married, a virtual marriage variety show; also it became her first regular variety show ever. Today was their first shooting day and she swore her mother was even more excited about this whole marriage thing than she was. It was only one thing her mother talked about for these last few days. 

"Uh-uh, wrong answer. Don't make this all about me, mom. I know you cook all this for Dad. All this giant crabs and seafood? Tsk tsk.." she pointed out all seafood spread all over their kitchen. These past few days her dad was extremely busy with work and he often come home late. It's no secret that her dad loved seafood and it was obvious her mom was trying to cheer him up.

Yoomi's mother blushed upon hearing her daughter's cheeky answer and tried her best to divert the conversation. "Isssh what are you talking about? So how's the shooting, who is your husband? Is he treating you well?"

"Mom, it's only virtual marriage, don't get too excited. I am so not getting married anytime soon. Anyway, his name is Jung Joon Young, you remember that skinny guy appeared in Superstar K last year?" answered Yoomi while reaching her phone. Earlier when they ended the shooting she managed to take some pictures.

"Where, let me see that. Aaaaaah he made some event for you, eh?" her mother saw one picture showing them together in that school yard. Apparently her manager also managed to take picture when they met in there, and few other pictures too throughout the shooting. 

Her mother kept commenting about the pictures while swapping the screen. Yoomi remembered they took picture together in that cafe at the end and also group photo with all staffs. 

"Yah you two really look good together. You smile so widely here~ But he is kinda skinny, isn't he? Yaaaaah this picture though, WGM has this many staffs? And all these cameras pointing at you??"

"Well, he is too skinny..." concluded her mother while handing her phone back. 

"Yeah. But he is also really weird though. Nothing like what I expect.." Yoomi started to tell today's shooting in detail while her mother was busy stirring the soup. 

"What, you said he doesn't gain weight even when he eats a lot?" asked her mother, surprised.

"Well, that's what he said when I asked him," Yoomi shrugged.

"I know what his problem is. He lacks of home-made meal. Let me cook for him and he will gain weight in no time," her mother laughed. 

Yoomi sighed again, "But he is so weird, mom. He says whatever and acts whatever. Caught me off guard every single time."

Her mother shaked her head showing disagreement, "You said he is weird but you come home all smiling and cheerful like that, eh?"

"Only because the shooting went well, that's why." she retorted. 

"Whatever you say, my dear daughter. I like this young man already though. Anyone who can make my daughter all smile like this surely gets points from me," said her mother, made Yoomi blushed even more.