Sorry It Shouldn't Happen

A Million Miles Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Dara likes to jog. She jogs every morning, only in the weekend though. Even when she’s tired and worn out, she still manages to get a little exercise. For her, running releases her stress and she can finally get away from all boring stuffs she has to deal with everyday such as computers, laptops, screens, documents. Even sometimes she gets sick of art even though she enjoys it.

 

She woke up early this morning despite being drunk last night. She found herself leaning her head on Chaerin’s shoulder when she woke up. She had to move really quietly and slowly so she won’t wake Chaerin up and then she went to jog.

 

Meanwhile, Chaerin is still in the bed. She just woke up and realized it’s too early to wake up. She gets a little headache and looked for aspirin all over the places. She realized Dara hasn’t really given her a house tour. The house is not that big, it’s not small either. It’s designed neatly with perfect choosing of all the materials and coloring used to build this comfortable minimalist house. Chaerin smiled as she imagined how Dara must’ve been very strict and precise when she décor the house. She must drive the guys who were working on this house crazy.

 

Chaerin saw that door before. It’s a wooden door with a padlock in the second floor near the guest room and laundry room. That seems interesting. She’s a bit curious about what’s inside and why it’s locked.

 

She walked downstairs again, not being able to find an aspirin for her light headache. She came up with something else. She knew Dara wouldn’t agree with this idea but she’d do it anyway.

 

As Dara came home, she rushed to the kitchen.

 

“What’s this smell?” she asked frowningly. Her body is sweaty and she’s wearing a tight sweatshirt with no sleeves. She’s still wearing her earphones and panting.

 

Chaerin raised both of her hands like she’s surrendering herself. “It’s breakfast!” she replied with a corky smile.

 

“No it’s not. You’re baking something and it smells like something else other than chocolate!”

 

Chaerin scratched her temple and looked around innocently, “I couldn’t find aspirin I was looking all over the house but-“

 

Dara dropped her ipod on the kitchen table and scowled at Chaerin with one hand on her hip, “You looked all over the house? You went through my stuffs?” she started raising her voice.

 

Chaerin sighed, “I’m sorry I didn’t look into your stuffs I was just looking-“

 

Dara grunted, “Oh God. I can’t believe you.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Chaerin said but then the oven dinged and the baking is done.

 

“Would you like some brownie?” Chaerin asked with a grin.

 

Dara withered.

 

“You’re baking weeds in my house? Do you know how I’m gonna punish you for this?”

 

Chaerin ignored her and just took out the pan out of the oven and put it on the table. It smells really good Dara finds herself interested in tasting it.

They both ended up starring at the glorious fresh brownies in front of them.

 

“Do you want milk?” Chaerin asked.

 

Dara shrugged, “I guess that’s not a bad idea.”

 

Chaerin smirked, “No it isn’t.” then she went to the fridge and pour some milk for Dara and herself.

 

They sat together at the kitchen table. Dara took a slice of the brownie, she’s surprised it tastes better than she expected. She closed her eyes as she’s munching the brownie inside . She swears she’s never felt this good for a long time.

 

“This is good.” she murmured.

 

Chaerin smiled out of happiness, “Really? My friends also said my brownie is good.”

 

“I’m gonna blame you if I get wasted.” Dara pointed her finger at Chaerin’s face.

“Then don’t eat it!” Chaerin put away the pan from the table.

 

“We should eat all of that tonight… and don’t tell anyone about it. I even think we should cook that stuffs more often.” Dara said as she slid her hands down on the table and rest her chin on it.

 

“Are you high already?” Chaerina asked.

 

“I’m starving.” Dara mumbled.

 

“I could make breakfast if you let me.” Chaerin offered as she stood across the table, starring at Dara with pleading stares.

Dara sighed, “Can you even cook?”

 

“You tasted my brownie. It’s good. I can cook. I was born a cook.” She flattered herself.

 

Dara smiled lightly, “You’re lucky my mood is good today!”

 

Chaerin chuckled, “Yeah I can see that.”

Dara just finished her shower. Just right the time when the breakfast is ready. She walked to the kitchen with a hidden smile. She doesn’t wanna show Chaerin so much that she’s delightful today. It’s been a long time since she’s close with someone, though she hasn’t considered Chaerin a close friend, she’s happy to have someone everyday to talk and share stories with.

 

“I made a cheese pancake with maple syrup and some bacons. Finally! I see someone had been shopping real foods other than just fruits.”

 

Dara sat across Chaerin, “It’s because you fell sick that day. I realize someone young like you need more nutrition and only eat food with high calories, that’s why I stopped at the grocery store and bought these ingredients.”

 

Chaerin smiled after hearing those words. She’s amazed by how Dara has changed day by day from a cold and sensitive woman to someone nice and caring.

 

“Thank you.” Chaerin said sincerely.

 

Dara nodded her chin, “Your welcome.” She said and then both of them enjoy the breakfast.

 

 

***

 

 

Chaerin waited until the woman in front of her move. But she hasn’t been moving for over a minute now and Chaerin is getting impatient. Dara turned around and looked at her carefully, “I haven’t been to this room for years. Maybe five years or more.”

 

Chaerin just smiled at her gently, “Why are you so nervous? It’s just a room.”

 

Dara sighed. “I don’t know. I feel embarrassed.”

 

“You’re not hiding a dead body inside there, right?”

 

Dara shook her head and chuckled, “I’m not a psycho, moron.”

 

“Then open it quickly!”

 

Chaerin mentioned to Dara about the mysterious room with the padlock and surprisingly Dara agreed to show her what’s that room about, which made Chaerin super excited because she likes mysteries. She has high expectation about that room. There must be a reason why Dara didn’t want that room to be open by locking it for years.

 

Dara finally opened the padlock and she looked at Chaerin for the last time, “Don’t be surprised” she murmured and then she open the door widely.

 

Chaerin took a step inside and her eyes are widened, is open. She’s more than amazed and was not disappointed at all. It’s a four walled studio room with wooden floors.

 

After looking at every corner of the room, she glanced at Dara who’s standing beside her with blushing face. “All of these… you-“

 

Dara nodded, “It’s all my works.”

 

“This is amazing. How can you not be tempted to enter this room again?”

 

“I got extremely busy with office works. This was a hobby that I left behind.”

 

Chaerin grinned looking at every single painting displayed on each side of the walls. They’re all paintings with all different genres, still life, surrealism, naturalism, folk art and some printed arts. Everything is displayed perfectly. There are also a cabinet full of painting and crafting tools. There’s also an old computer and a sofa bed. There’s even a bookshelf.

 

There’s a large window and a balcony. The white curtain is dusty. In fact the whole room is dusty and look abandoned but it still looks gorgeous.

 

“Did Harold know about this?” Chaerin asked.

 

“You mean my paintings? Of course he knew. I showed all of them to him before he hired me in his company.”

 

Chaerin starred at Dara with starry eyes, “That’s why he wants you to teach me. Maybe he’s right. Maybe you should teach me to be a better painter.”

 

“No. That’s not what he wants you to be, Chaerin. He wants you to be more than a painter, even he wants you to achieve more than me.”

 

Chaerin walked around the room and checked every arts in the room.

 

“You can come in here and spend time here to paint or whatever you want. You can even use this place as your bedroom. I can get you new bed and anything you want. Just tell me what you need.”

 

“You’re way too nice. I can’t do that.”

 

“Yes of course you can. I’m responsible of you. I am basically taking care of you. Harold asked me to.”

 

Chaerin frowned. “Harold only asked you to teach me and make me fully sufficient to work in his company. Not to babysit me.”

 

Dara scratched her forehead and walked closer to Chaerin, who is looking at the biggest canvas painting in the room. Dara painted it when she was in college.

 

“Chaerin… Harold didn’t only want me to take care of you and teach you to make you a great artist. He also wants me to take care of you by all means babysit and watch you.”

 

Chaerin turned around and they faced each other.

 

“No he didn’t. It’s not what I signed up for. I can’t receive all this kindness. What-“ Chaerin narrowed her eyes as she senses something odd. She walked closer to Dara and glared at her.

 

“Oh my God… you are pitying me. You and Harold, both of you. You guys think I can’t handle myself. That’s why you let me stay in your house, he asked you to let me stay didn’t he?” Chaerin raised her voice.

 

“Don’t raise your voice on me, kid.” Dara murmured calmly.

 

“No. If that’s true, I can’t do this. If he forced you to let me live in your house despite your resentment of me… I’ll have to leave.”

 

“No I never said I resent you. I never said I mind you staying in my house I never said any of that! I personally asked you to live in my house because-“

 

“Because you pity me!”

 

“Because I’m responsible of your beings. Because you are important to Harold and Harold is important to me he’s like my father and he is also responsible of you.”

 

“How can he be responsible of me? He was just an old friend of my mom’s. He’s nobody to me!”

 

They’re scowling at each other.

 

“You knew something, right? You knew… what is it? Tell me the truth.” Chaerin said as she drew closer and closer to Dara, making her nervous and frightened.

 

“Harold is your godfather, Chaerin. And he was your mom’s lover but it was a long time ago so… he feels he’s responsible of your future and he’s concern about you running away from home. This is the least he can do to help you.”

 

“I knew it. I knew there was something. And you lied to me. You never told me the truth!”

 

Chaerin walked away from the room. Dara chased her out, “I wasn’t lying to you. I just didn’t think I should tell you the truth.”

 

“Why?” Chaerin shouted.

 

“Because of this kind of reaction. See?”

 

Chaerin groaned, “Whatever.” And then she walked away.

 

“Great! How childish of you! Just walk away and be mad at me as long as you want!” Dara yelled out loud.

 

She rubbed her face and looked back at her old studio room. She thought everything was going fine with telling Chaerin about the truth because she thought she should be thankful for what Harol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter