If You Let Me..

A Million Miles Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dara was surprised when she found another body sleeping next to her. She was awoken by a sudden coldness touching her toes and it was Chaerin’s. She’s snuggling closely to Dara’s back with her hands and legs shaking so badly. She’s got a fever because of staying outside too long.

 

“Chaerin?” Dara called her.

 

She touched Chaerin’s forehead and it’s extremely warm. Dara looked at the clock, it’s 4 o’clock in the morning.

 

“Mom…” Chaerin suddenly mumbled.

 

“You got a fever…” Dara murmured as she pushed her palm against Chaerin’s warm cheek.

 

“Mom, don’t leave me…” Chaerin mumbled again.

 

Dara was stunned for a while, just starring at Chaerin’s face, wondering why she’s calling out her mom, assuming she must’ve had a hard life left by her mom.

 

Dara got out of the bed and went to the cabinet beside the dresser. She stores her meds in there and starts looking for what she needs that might help Chaerin with the fever.

 

Dara went to the kitchen to get warm water. She also took a basket and filled it with ice water. She went back to her room quiet in a rush. Chaerin’s still mumbling, this time those words are unheard because it’s too fast and random but she could still hear Chaerin mentioning her mom.

 

Dara put down the ice basket on the side desk and the desk lamp. She diligently prepared a napkin and soaked it with the ice water. She’s worried and even more worried when she saw Chaerin’s hands are shaking so badly.

 

“Sssh… It’s okay.” Dara said with huskily. Then she gently put the wet napkin on the top of Dara’s forehead.

 

“Chaerin, can you hear me? Are you awake?” Dara asked.

 

It took a minute but then Chaerin slowly opened up her eyes. They’re teary.

 

She gulped and opened , “I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t speak.”

 

Chaerin let go of a deep breath and rolled her eyes, “Can I… have some water please?” she sounded so tired and weak. Dara quickly get the water along with the meds pill.

 

“This will make you feel better.” She said as she slowly putting the pill into Chaerin’s mouth and helped her getting her head up by letting Chaerin’s back head leaning on her arm.

 

Chaerin gulped the pill and water slowly and sighed. “Thank you.” She said with a light smile.

 

“You kept calling your mom.” Dara muttered.

 

Chaerin sighed again, “I… didn’t notice. I’m sorry.”

 

“Have a rest. I’ll be outside on the couch, okay?”

 

Chaerin quickly reached Dara’s arm and squeezed her fingers, “Don’t. Please stay with me…” Chaerin paused as she and Dara exchanged looks. They’re starring into each other for a second.

 

“… I’m scared.”

 

Dara withered. There’s this contemplation inside her. She doesn’t want to stay because she thought it would be awkward but she doesn’t want to leave too. Chaerin’s stare is way too compelling.

 

“I won’t leave.” Dara said calmly and then she lean back on the bed.

 

“You want me to turn off the lamp?”

 

“Yes please.” Chaerin answered shortly and closed her eyes again. Little did she know she’s still holding Dara’s hand tight. Dara doesn’t dare to move because Chaerin’s gripping so tight.

 

Dara couldn’t sleep. She tried but she couldn’t. She can’t think clearly. She kept finding reason why she had to be so kind to Chaerin, why she even offered hospitality to Chaerin asking her to stay in her house. A part of her is telling her it’s okay to be nice once in a while to people, but a part of her is confused. She’s confused with her own feelings. She knew it wasn’t just to be nice to people, but there’s something else. There’s something she doesn’t even want to think about because it embarrass her. She knows but she just doesn’t wanna admit it, that she has this little crush on Chaerin, that she’s actually happy to have someone else staying in the same roof with her, she’s happy to take care of someone else, that she doesn’t mind to have a nineteen years old girl sleeping in the same bed with her and holds her hand through the night.

 

She doesn’t mind. Dara closed her eyes after minutes of endless thinking.

 

I’ve been lonely for too long, she thought.

 

 

***

 

 

Chaerin woke up at noon. Her body has recovered and she felt so much better now. There’s still a little headache though and she still coughed but after all her fever has gone thanks to Dara who took care of her last night.

 

Chaerin’s quiet surprised finding herself in Dara’s bed. She doesn’t remember that much about last night and now she’s starved.

 

She went to the kitchen and found soup pan filled with vegetable soup and there’s also a bowl of porridge on the kitchen table. Dara cooked for her this morning.

 

Chaerin smiled when she found a note Dara put under the porridge bowl.

 

“Eat them all. If I find them uneaten, you get out of my house tonight.”

 

Chaerin even smiled bigger after flipping the paper and there’s another note says, “Make yourself at home.”

 

She’s pretty amazed and touched with what Dara’s done for her. She feels special.

 

After having her breakfast, Chaerin grabbed a jar of peanut butter and secretly eating it right from the jar. She even brought it to Dara’s room and eat it gracefully on the bed. She smiled as she dialed Dara’s number.

 

“Hey!” she greeted as soon as Dara’s picked up.

 

Dara excused herself from a meeting she’s in. She went right outside and slightly smiled, thrilled receiving call from Chaerin.

 

“What are you doing I’m having a meeting!” she pretended to be annoyed.

 

Chaerin chuckled, “Hey is it okay for me to eat in your bed? Coz now I’m stealing your peanut butter and eat it with my fingers.”

 

Dara scowled, “Gross! Get out of my bed now!”

 

“Come on just let me relax and enjoy myself. You said I could make myself at home. This is what I wanna do at home, watching television, eat some sweets, burying myself under the sheets. It’s perfect.”

 

Dara grinned. She doesn’t know why she grinned she just did.

 

“Do you feel better now? How’s your fever?”

 

“Don't you listen to me? Do I sound like someone having a fever?”

 

“If it wasn’t for me, you’d still be sick now. You have to thank me.”

 

“Thank you.” Chaerin smiled. “I really appreciate it.”

 

“And oh, I have already took care of your works. What is this? You’re making me do your works. You should thank me again.”

 

Chaerin giggled, “What is it do you want? I didn’t ask you to do that.”

 

“Well the deadline is this evening. You can’t miss.”

 

“Allright. Thank you again, Miss Sandara. You’re not the worst person in the world, in fact you’re the nicest, kindest, most warm-hearted and most intelligent person in the world.”

 

Dara smiled.

 

Chaerin smiled too, “And oh, you’re also one of the most beautiful person I’ve met.”

 

“Happy now?” Chaerin asked.

 

Dara can’t just express it. She’s speechless. She’s so happy her heart skipped a beat. Chaerin is just too sweet.

 

“Sandara! Come on!” Harold called her behind the door.

 

“Hey I gotta go now.”  

 

“Okay.”

 

Dara hung up.

 

Dara smiled again before heading to the meeting room again. Harold looks at her suspiciously. He narrowed his eyes. Somehow he looks like observing Dara’s behavior. He crossed his fingers in front of his lips.

 

Dara who clearly realized Harold has been watching her looks back at him fiercely. She frowned, “What?” she mouthed.

 

Harold shrugged. He just grinned his mischievous grin. He finds Dara’s life is more interesting than the speaker who’s giving the presentation at the front.

Dara ignored Harold’s stares as much as she can. She knows what kind of look he gives to her. She knows.

 

“Dara, come to my office now.” Harold says as soon as the meeting is over. Everyone rushed out of the meeting room chatting with each other discussing about the newest project. It was the presentation about.

 

Dara knew it already. She knew Harold would want to talk to her about something. She quietly walked by Harold’s side.

 

“You look different.” Harold whispered, sort of teasing her.

 

Dara blushed, “Not now.”

 

Harold chuckled.

 

Once they entered Harold’s office, he offered Dara a drink first but she quickly rejected. She sighed and yammered, “Just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter