Surprise.. Surprise..

A Million Miles Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaerin smiles as she’s starring at the blank white wall in front of her. She just finished painting the whole room white. The paint was previously dirty and messed up before and Chaerin begged Dara to let her refurbished the room Dara used to call her working or studio room. The room where all the memories of Dara and her ex girlfriend had, that she decided to shut it off completely and planned on never opening the door anymore.

 

“This is now our studio room.” Chaerin murmured as Dara walked in to the room with her lousy gray shirt and short sweatpants. She just came back from gardening her mini garden in the backyard. She smells like sweat and soil.

 

“Don’t get too excited over it coz I haven’t agreed about that idea yet. I just allowed you to paint the wall, not to spend most of your time here. I don’t think I want to paint anymore. It’s just not my thing anymore.” Dara said. She sat on the wooden chair Chaerin used to stand on while painting the wall and looked around the empty room that smells new.

 

“Okay, if you don’t want to. This is mine then. Can I own this room?” Chaerin asked as she walked toward Dara with her hands, legs and shirt full white stains.

 

Dara lifted her head up to face Chaerin who is starring down at her with her bubbly eyes.

 

“Please paint for me.”

 

Dara raised her eyebrow, “Eh?”

 

“Start painting again. I wanna see you work. I know you still can do it.”

 

“But I don't want to.”

 

Chaerin looked at Dara’s face and the question she wanted to ask is already answered. It’s all written on Dara’s face, and her wary eyes.

“You’re still thinking about what happened. Those memories are still hunting you, and somehow you can’t seem to completely forget about it.” Chaerin stated flatly. She then sighed and turned away. She knows this is only the beginning, there are still things she need to know about Dara and her past and she understands Dara still is haunted by her previous relationship failure or worse, she still hasn’t completely moved on. They just started this relationship and it also scares her. It scares both of them actually.

 

“This isn’t about it. I just don’t want to paint anymore. Painting was my passion. It was. It’s just not right anymore. I have lost interest is all. There’s nothing to do with what happened.”

 

Chaerin turned her head at Dara and gave her a fake smile and then she started tidying up the room. “Don’t touch the wall. It’s still wet. How about you take a shower and order something to eat? I’m starving.” Chaerin said.

Dara shrugged, “Why can’t I just cook for us dinner?”

Chaerin cringed. “Please don’t. I’ve had enough of your terrible cooking, sweetheart.”

 

Dara pouted, “Okay then. I swear I’ll never cook anything for you anymore!” she yelled as Chaerin is walking away with a loud giggle.

Dara sighed when Chaerin already gone downstairs. She’s still in the room Chaerin just painted white and yes, there are a lot of memories in this room and somehow she still can remember clearly what happened in this exact room, bad and good memories. They’re all here, and they were all once precious.

 

She suddenly remembers something and d her pocket. She took out a handmade bracelet, it looks old and broken but it still looks pretty, like someone was working hard making it. The bracelet her ex girlfriend gave her, she made it for Dara right after Dara lose the real bracelet she gave earlier. She was mad but she couldn’t mad at Dara for long. Dara still remembers how sweet her ex was that time.

Dara found it in the garden, she didn't know how it ended up there but she’s sure she must’ve thrown it away when she was angry and it definitely happened years ago.

 

It’s funny how she never realized it before. She thought she’s over it. She thought she had totally erased all the memories and the pain, but Chaerin was right. The memories remain. She is still not ready for this. Her relationship with her ex was more than extraordinary and it is not easy to forget. She has to admit she’s scared of this whole new relationship, especially with Chaerin’s age being many years apart from her.

 

 

“Today is your first day as a regular employee. We should celebrate.” Dara said as she put on her lipstick with her eyes starring at her reflection on the mirror.

Chaerin just finished her shower, she’s half and she smells like blueberries. “So can we tell people we’re dating?” Chaerin asked.

 

Dara stares at her face in the mirror and that strange expression appeared out of nowhere. This feeling is somewhat familiar but it has long gone before and now it came back again.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Dara stated sternly as she put in her lipstick into her clutch and now she started to fix her hair.

 

Chaerin smiled bitterly. She knew that would be Dara’s answer. “I know. I was just testing you.” She murmured.

 

Dara frowned, “Testing me? What for?”

 

Chaerin shrugged. She approached Dara when she already put on her clothes. “I just wanted to see you answer that question, seriously, it doesn’t matter. Both answers are fine with me.”

 

Dara stopped doing her make up and now she turned her body around, facing Chaerin with those strange stare. Chaerin just starred back at her, “What?” she asks as she’s clueless.

 

Dara sighed. “Are you trying me?”

 

Chaerin smirked. “What do you mean?”

 

“You. Asking that question. Asking are we going to tell people about us. You knew that question was an issue for me. I couldn’t come out. I couldn’t afford to handle the risk and now you’re asking to see if I’m ready now and you knew the answer is no. Besides, what would people think? I’m your boss! You knew already, so why bother to ask?”

 

Chaerin shrugged, “I didn’t know. It was just a stupid question. Forget it-“ Chaerin walked away from the room with a pout on her face.

 

 

Chaerin is not in a good mood today. Today is her first day as a regular worker in the office, and she should be in a good mood but she isn’t because of what happened this morning. She is no longer the intern and won’t be under Dara’s supervision anymore. She is just Lee Chaerin, one of the members of the creative division.

As usual, Dara dropped Chaerin blocks away from the office. They can’t let people see they’re in the sam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter