The End of Happiness

Bruises and Scars (Torment from JR's POV)

I jumped when the bell rang to signal the end of class. “Man you have been so on edge for this whole class,” Baekho said.

“I just don't want to go home,” I muttered.

“Don't go home then, it's simple,” Baekho replied.

“I have to go home, I don't have a choice,” I sighed. I left before Baekho could say anything else. All he was going to do was try to convince me to stay with him and the guys after school. I would have given anything to say yes, but I couldn't afford to get home late again. I happened to get lucky yesterday and I wasn't going to push my luck.

I quickly stopped at my locker to grab my jacket before I left. I walked past Zelo at his locker as I was leaving. I wasn't really in a good mood at the moment so I just shoved him in and closed the door. I heard a muffled cry of dispute from inside as I walked away.

I found the nearest exit and paused at the door for a moment. Heaving a heavy sigh, I pushed my way out into the sunlight.

The trip home was insignificant and normal. Just walking and more walking until I reached the place I knew as home. I carefully twisted the doorknob and pushed the door open.

I was greeted by silence. That could be either good or bad. It could mean that they had gone out, but it could also mean that he was waiting for me. I cautiously stepped inside and started slipping my shoes off. I managed to hang up my jacket before I felt something, I think it was a rope, slip around my neck and pull upward. I let out a cough as it pressed against my throat, impairing my breathing.

My leg swung back and connected with something solid. The rope released and I collapsed to the floor coughing. “Did you really think you could get away with it?” Shimhan, my step-father, asked.

“B-but I got home on time,” I stuttered.

“I'm talking about yesterday you worthless little idiot,” he said, giving me a swift kick in the gut. I doubled over coughing violently. “Did you really think I wouldn't notice?” he said menacingly.

“I-I lost track of time... I'm sorry,” I gasped as I tried to crawl away. He stopped me and rolled me over onto my back.

“I think you're lying to me,” he growled as he pressed his knee into my chest. All the air was forced out of my lungs.

“No... I'm not... I swear,” I gasped weakly. I tried in vain to push him off of me.

“I don't believe you,” he growled as his hands wrapped around my neck. His fingers pressed into my throat cutting off any air that could get into my lungs.

“Shimhan! What are you doing?” the shrill voice of mother exclaimed.

“Umma,” I gasped before everything melted into darkness.

I woke up in the dark. At first I wasn't sure I'd actually opened my eyes. The only proof that they were open was the pale moonlight coming in the window.

Once I got used to the darkness I took a look around. I was in my room, on my bed. It must have been a nightmare, I thought as I attempted to sit up.

I was shocked when my right arm couldn't follow my motion. My gaze fell to my wrist where there was a gleam of silver. It hadn't been a dream. After I was unconscious he must have carried me down the stairs and cuffed me to my bed.

I started to panic and pull at the cuff, trying slip my hand free. I kept struggling until I felt something sticky and wet on my arm. I had started bleeding. In my panic I had rubbed the skin on my wrist raw, and then rubbed it a little more.

I bit my lip realizing it was useless. I was trapped with no chance at freedom. I lay back down and curled up on my side. I could feel the sting at the back of my eyes, but I wouldn't let myself cry. Tears are for the hopeless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for taking so long. I just had the mood to do some writing a couple of days ago so I picked this up and continued. I apologize for any formatting or spelling errors, I typed this on my phone