Don't Be Late

Bruises and Scars (Torment from JR's POV)

I couldn't resist the opportunity. I shoved the young giant known as Zelo into his locker as I shouted an insult. I've reached the point where I don't even pay attention to what I call him. I proclaimed my triumph to the hallway, even though there was only the five of us.

“Hey Choi, you even listening to me?” I asked because he didn't even seem to notice.

“Do we really need to go through this again?” he groaned. I noticed his hand moving toward his pocket for his cellphone and so did Minhyun.

“He's going to call for help, close the door and let's get out of here,” Minhyun said.

“Why? Are you afraid of his little friend?” I snapped at him. I don't even care that Jongup and I are the same size.

“Jongup is a little scary despite his size,” Minhyun mumbled, shifting uneasily under my gaze.

“You're such a wuss,” I muttered as I turned back to Zelo, who had managed to turn around. I slammed the door right in his face and put the lock on.

“Alright! Let's do something else fun!” Baekho exclaimed as we headed out the door.

The four of us walked down the street playfully shoving each other. “This is great, I'm not sure you've ever stayed with us this long after school JR,” Baekho said.

“What do you mean? What- what time is it?” I spluttered. It hadn't felt like it had been that long to me.

“Oh, uh... um...” Baekho hummed as he patted his pockets searching for his phone. Leave it to Baekho to forget where he put something.

“Ren?” I said, knowing Baekho wouldn't be finding his phone any time today.

“It's... three-thirty, roughly,” Ren said, checking his watch.

“! I have to go guys, see you in school tomorrow,” I said as I took off down the street, waving back to them as I left. I just hope that if I hurry he won't notice. I ran as fast as my legs would carry me, cutting through a couple people's backyards, to get home.

By the time I reached the front door I was out of breath. I made sure my breathing was under control before pushing the door open. To my relief, I was greeted by the sound of two voices arguing in the living room. The voices belonged to my mother and step-father. As quietly as I could, I slipped off my shoes and jacket, and I disappeared to my room in the basement.

I spent a few hours doing, well, not much of anything in my room. I was waiting for things to quiet down upstairs. When the coast was clear, I snuck out of my room and quietly made my way up the stairs.

“Finally,” I whispered as I opened the refrigerator. I hadn't eaten all day because I usually try to avoid my mother. I grabbed a few things out of the fridge and stole away to my room with them. I didn't even pay attention to what I had grabbed, as long as it could be eaten.

I knew Aron worried about me when the others brought up my eating habits, but it can't be helped. He always wants to know why, but I don't think anyone would understand. I just have reasons for avoiding my mother and step-father as much as possible.

I was biting into an apple when a sound from upstairs startled me. I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and quickly hid my food and jumped into my bed. I slowed my breathing so it seemed like I was sleeping. Just in time too, I heard the door creak open slightly.

I could tell it was my step-father by the fact that he's a heavy mouth-breather. I felt him place his hand on my shoulder and shake me. He was seeing if I was awake, which I was, but I'd never let him know that.

When shaking me didn't work he slapped my shoulder, hard. I still didn't stir even though that hurt.

Once he was satisfied that I was 'asleep', he left my room and closed the door behind him. I sighed with relief as I sat up in bed. I quickly finished eating before I actually went to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm writing something down here even though I don't have anything to say. I'm weird, I just have to have an author's note

Please leave a comment for me and subscribe if you like it^^