Oh Joy, New Students

Bruises and Scars (Torment from JR's POV)

I sat up quickly when my alarm went off. I knew I had to get up and get ready but it was just one of those mornings. One of the mornings where I wished I could just stay in bed all day.

Unfortunately, I had school to go to and my 'family' to avoid. It took me a while, but I managed to drag my out of bed and pack for school. I quickly climbed the stairs and peeked around the door at the top. There was no signs of life from anyone else so I slipped into the entryway. As quickly and quietly as I could, I slipped my shoes and jacket on. I took one last look behind myself before I stepped out of the door.

I liked my short walks to school in the morning, it was the only time I was truly alone. I enjoyed seeing things happening in life around me, the familiar and the new. Like the two white girls I saw come out of one of the apartment buildings for instance. I had never seen them before but I found them amusing.

“Hurry up unnie!” the taller girl called as she skipped ahead. I laughed watching the other run to catch up. I continued on my way until I eventually made it to the school. I quickly stopped at my locker to ditch my things before class. I got lucky and Zelo was at his locker when I walked past.

“Surprise!” I shouted as I pushed him in and closed the door. I heard his muffled groan as I walked away with a grin on my face. As I sat down in front of the English classroom I thought it might be good to rest a bit more before classes started.

I was woken up by the feeling of someone tapping my shoulder. “JR, class is starting,” Baekho said.

“I'm coming,” I groaned, rubbing my eyes. I let Baekho help me up so we could enter the room and sit down together.

“I hear we're supposed to get a couple of new students today,” Baekho said to me.

“So?” I said, not very enthusiastically.

“So I hear that they're supposed to be a couple of girls from Canada,” Baekho whispered excitedly. I rolled my eyes at him. He had a bit of a thing for foreign girls.

What he said made me think of the two girls I saw earlier though. I wonder if that was them, I thought. My thoughts were interrupted by the bell and Zelo walking in as it rang.

“How is everyone doing this morning?” Mr. Lau asked once Zelo was seated. Everyone was so quiet I could swear I heard crickets chirping somewhere. “Not so great I guess,” Mr. Lau said, clasping his hands together.

He looked over at the door as a couple of girls walked in. “We have a couple of new students today as you can see,” he said. They are the girls from earlier, I thought as they introduced themselves and bowed.

I watched them walk over and take the only available seats, one next to Zelo and one next to Ren. Class went by mostly normal after that, aside from people trying to get a good look at the new students.

When the bell rang most of us got out of that room as quickly as we could. No one really seemed to enjoy English class.

“Hurray for music class,” Ren said as we tried to make our way down the hall. Everyone stopped in their tracks when they heard a loud squeal from back near the room.

“Isn't that the girl who sat next to me?” Ren asked, pointing at the source of the sound.

“I think it is,” Baekho replied.

“That explains so much,” I muttered.

“What?” Baekho asked.

“The new students, they're fangirls. That's why the one was acting awkward with Zelo during class,” I explained.

“Do you think they moved here to be close to the idol groups, or do you think there's a different reason?” Ren said.

“Who knows. Let's just get to class,” I muttered, pushing my way through the crowd.

Once we were past the crowd we practically ran to our next classroom. I liked being the first one there, it gave me choice seating. “Good morning boys,” the teacher said.

“Hey Eli, you teaching today?” Ren asked.

“Why else would I be here?” responded Eli. By the way, Eli means Eli Kim of U-Kiss. I wasn't overly excited or disappointed about having him teaching today. He was a decent teacher, if not a little ADD.

Other students slowly made their way into class. I watched as Zelo walked in with the two new girls close behind him. They were talking, well, two of them were. The one had her hand over the other's mouth. She pulled her hand away for a bit before slapping it back into place.

I knew why pretty quickly because she let out another squeal through the hand over . Eli noticed and looked at them. He made a comment about Zelo having made a couple of new friends as he waved. Zelo waved back as he walked over and sat in front of me. I decided to poke a little fun at him, I was still nervous from yesterday.

I waited until he was seated before I hooked my arm around his neck. “So you befriended a couple of fangirls?” I whispered in his ear. He didn't respond, I may have been holding him too tightly.

“Can't you just give him a break for once?” Ren said, removing my arm. Admittedly, I was a little mad that he'd spoiled my fun. I stared him down until he went back to his seat.

“That's what I thought,” I muttered, sitting back.

Pretty soon the two girls came over and sat with Zelo. They chattered a little before Eli started talking. He went and restated the whole thing about having new students while gesturing at them. It caught my attention when he said, “They agreed to sing something for us.”

I watched the two stand up, they both looked pretty nervous. “What should we sing?” the taller one asked.

“Any suggestions?” Eli asked with a shrug. No one seemed particularly willing to offer a suggestion, so Eli decided Zelo should pick something. I wasn't shocked that he picked Warrior. I actually rolled my eyes at him. However, I was greatly surprised when they started singing.

They were actually pretty good. Really good when you consider that there was two of them singing six different vocal parts. They kept up a good pace, I almost found myself enjoying it.

Personally I didn't really like Warrior. Most people assume it's because it is a BAP song, but in reality it's just not my style. Everyone started to applaud once they finished. I looked around and everyone seemed pretty impressed by their performance.

I think a few people stopped when I looked at them, I've been told that I look like I'm glaring most of the time. After the special performance, class resumed as Eli taught, so not normal by any means.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here's the second chapter. It occurs to me that JR is still coming across as being a bit of an , but you will feel sorry for him, I can almost guarantee it. That's assuming I can actually convey things the way I want to. And the thing about Eli being ADD may or may not be true, that is purely my personal observation of the singer from stage and other things

Pleas leave me a comment