Someone Who Cares

Bruises and Scars (Torment from JR's POV)

It was one of the new girls. The one who sat next to Zelo in English class earlier I think. She had to stop at the front of the class to look for an empty seat. The only seat that was available was right next to me. She smiled sweetly at me as she took the seat.

“Hey, I'm Emma,” she said, holding out her hand for me to shake. I looked at her cautiously before I took her hand. I think I was justified considering that she had looked ready to punch me out earlier.

“I'm Jonghyun. Most people call me JR, but I suspect you already knew that,” I said. She looked flustered and slightly embarrassed when I said the second part.

“Am I that obvious?” she asked.

“It was more your friend than it was you,” I told her.

“Yeah, Bethany has the subtlety of a hand-grenade,” she laughed. I laughed too. I guess now I knew their names for future reference. Emma dug a few things out of her backpack that she had placed on the floor beside the chair before class started.

The teacher rushed into the room just as the bell rang. “You're on time today Ms. Byun,” I remarked.

“Thank you for noticing Mr. Kim,” Ms. Byun replied. I smirked as class started.

Near the end of class I got up and started to pack my things. Emma furrowed her brow as she looked at me. “Are you alright?” she asked.

“Yeah, I'm fine,” I lied. Honestly, my ankle felt like it had gotten worse during class.

“Are you sure about that?” she continued.

“Why? What is it to you?” I snapped at her.

“You're limping,” Emma replied. Ms. Byun seemed to noticed what was going on and came over to us.

“What's going on over here?” she asked.

“I think JR is hurt,” Emma explained.

“Really, I'm fine,” I said.

“Okay, prove it, stop leaning on the desk,” she said. I hesitated, I didn't realize I had been leaning on the desk but it hurt to put weight on my foot. Ms. Byun nodded at me to do it, so I stood up straight. I cringed as weight was put onto my hurt ankle.

“I think you need to go see the nurse,” Ms. Byun said. “Can you get him there?” she asked Emma. I groaned as Emma nodded her head.

I quickly grabbed my bag before I let her help me out of the room. “I'm going to need a bit of help here, I don't exactly know where I'm going,” Emma said. I sighed as I pointed her in the right direction.

“I'm kind of surprised that you were willing to help me, or even talk to me,” I commented, thinking about what had happened at lunch.

“My mom has always said I like to see the better in people. So I guess I don't see you as being a bad person, you just do bad things,” she explained. Her explanation intrigued me.

We had arrived at the nurse's office then. “Are you good from here?” she asked. I nodded as she headed back the way we had come. She turned around and waved at me before she disappeared around the corner.

I stood there outside the door to the nurse's office. I debated about whether or not I should knock, but ultimately I did. “Come in,” the man inside said as the door opened. I stepped in carefully and was surprised when I saw Himchan.

“Hey JR,” he said with a smile.

“You're the school nurse? How does no one know about this?” I asked.

“For some reason no one is ever sent to see me. I honestly don't know what I'm paid for,” Himchan replied with a shrug. “So what were you sent here for?” he asked.

“I uh... I twisted my ankle,” I muttered. Himchan frowned as he forced me to sit down. He quickly removed my shoe and inspected my ankle.

“How did you twist your ankle?” he asked.

“I fell...” I answered, not sure if I should tell him the whole story.

“From where? The roof?” he exclaimed.

“Maybe,” I replied.

“What were you doing on the roof?” he asked me, clearly knowing that maybe translated to yes.

“Sometimes I like to be alone and the only place I've found where I can be alone is on the roof,” I explained.

He looked at me curiously and opened his mouth to ask a question. “Never mind, some people just need their alone time,” he changed his mind. He grabbed some bandaging and started to wrap it around my ankle.

“That should about do it. It will probably stop hurting shortly, just be more careful next time,” he said once he had finished.

“Thanks,” I said as he helped me slip my shoe back on and stand up. I found he was right and it was hurting less now.

“Will you be able to make it to your final class okay?” Himchan asked. I nodded at him as I pushed the door open and left.

I spent the next ten minutes hobbling to math class. No one noticed as I quietly slipped into the back of the room next to Baekho. “So why were you late?” Baekho asked.

“I twisted my ankle and had to go see the school nurse,” I groaned. “So what did I miss at the beginning of class?” I asked.

“Quadratic equations I think, this stuff just goes straight over my head though,” Baekho said, letting me copy his notes.

“Are you kidding me? This is the easy stuff,” I exclaimed.

“Maybe for you,” Baekho groaned. He hadn't even started doing his work yet.

“You know, it might be easier if you actually did your work,” I told him. He mumbled something under his breath that I didn't catch. I didn't really care to know what he said either. I was busy doing my work and I didn't need any distractions.

Baekho left me alone for a while and we both worked, or avoided work in his case, silently until he tapped me on the shoulder. I glared at him for interrupting me.

“Look, those new girls are in this class too,” he said, pointing toward the front of the class. I looked up and saw the two girls sitting on either side of Zelo.

“Is that Minhyun and Ren up there too?” I asked.

“Looks like it, they were making friendly with Zelo in Chemistry class,” Baekho said snidely. Baekho could be a bit of an at times. Admittedly, so could I, but he was worse. I regretted some of the things I did, I'm not sure about him though. Although sometimes I'm not sure he's even aware that he's being the slightest bit mean. He was just himself, nothing else. He always seemed to act a little more toned down around me and the others though. I guess he knew that it bothered me.

I looked up at the clock after I finished my thought process and saw that it was nearly the end of class. That made me nervous and Baekho noticed it. “Is something up?” he asked.

“It's nothing,” I said quickly. I wasn't really looking forward to school ending and having to go home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BE PROUD OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! New chapter^^ and soon we will find out why JR avoids his family at all costs, very soon *laughs maniacally*