Resting

In a Super Junior World

Hyun Jung’s POV:

I woke up to find myself still in my own hospital ward with different types of gifts piling on the blue leather couch and some neatly placed on the floor in front of it. There were fruit hampers, teddy bears, boxes of red ginseng. One look I knew the fans already found out about my situation. Korean netizens…

“You’re awake,” Donghae smiled and shut the door.

“Hi oppa,” I weakly greeted.

“You okay? The shoulder wound hurts, huh?” He twisted his lips in sympathy. “Don’t worry, it’ll all be over. The fans got you gifts!”

“I know,” I nodded. “Can I go see Hannah now? You said you’d take me.”

“Sure thing,” he brought the ever so familiar wheelchair over to the side of the bed and lifted me onto it before wheeling me out. After a few turns here and there, we stopped at another private ward, just like mine.

“Come in!” Her cheerful voice greeted us after Donghae knocked. As soon as she saw me, her jaw dropped. “Oh my god. Just look at you..”

“I’ll be fine,” I smiled. “What about you?”

“As you can see, I’ve never been better,” Hannah smiled brightly.

“You have no idea how worried I was about you..”

“I’m fine, don’t worry,” Hannah reached over and squeezed my good shoulder.

“If it wasn’t for you, she’d have gotten to me. What if you died or something?” My vision blurred with tears.

“Even if I died, I wouldn’t have any regrets. As long as my best friend is safe, I’ll die peacefully. So don’t you worry about—” her sentence was cut off by her choking and wheezing for air.

“What’s wrong? Hannah what’s wrong?! Donghae call the doctor, hurry up!” I turned to where Donghae was supposed to be standing but he wasn’t there anymore. She suddenly began a coughing fit and spat out dark red blood that stained the duvets.

“Don’t scare me! Hannah, please!” I repeatedly pressed the emergency call button but no doctor was coming. Hannah fell back from her sitting position and that was when I saw a vicious patch of blood on her hospital gown where her stomach was.

“Hannah!” I woke up to my own screams and found my ward exactly how it looked like in my dream. “Call the doctor! Hannah’s in trouble! Call him now!”

“Hyun, calm down. Breathe in, it was a dream. Calm down,” umma grabbed my hands and breathed slowly for me to follow. I stopped hyperventilating and took in my situation. The ward was the same, fruit hampers, teddy bears and boxes of red ginseng were in their exact position.

“Take me to Hannah now,” I softly sobbed. “I have to make sure she’s safe.”

“Have some water first, your lips are cracking,” umma raised the glass to my lips but I pushed it away harsher than I intended to. The glass broke into tiny fragments just as the door burst open.

“What happened?” Kyuhyun rushed over and pressed the button for a nurse to help clean the mess up.

“She’s looking for Hannah,” umma whispered. I was still subconsciously grinding my teeth in frustration that nobody would take me to her. I didn’t want to come to terms that she was dead. The Hannah I knew was stronger than that.

“Come on, I’ll take you to her,” Kyuhyun lifted me onto my wheelchair and pushed me out of the ward. My eyes were fixed on my legs wrapped in the permanent casts. We stopped at the reception desk and Kyuhyun went to speak with the lady. He came back two minutes later and pushed me out of the hospital, towards his car.

“Where are we going? I thought we were going to see Hannah?”

“Hannah recovered while you were in a mini coma, she’s fit to be discharged and is now resting at home,” Kyuhyun explained, keeping his eyes fixed to the front. We had a half an hour drive to Hannah’s place and rang their doorbell. Her mother opened the door for us within a heartbeat and invited us in.

“Good morning, I’m here to see how Hannah’s doing—” my heart stopped at their altar. “Isn’t that..” My question was answered by Aunty tearing up.

“It can’t be. I thought you said she was resting at home?! Why is she dead?!” Angry tears wet my cheeks as I questioned Kyuhyun.

“I never said she was resting alive,” Kyuhyun said gently. No matter how soft his tone was, every word hurt so badly I felt like my bones were breaking. Aunty pulled me into a warm embrace as I sobbed loud and hard into her shoulder. Nothing could go through my mind at that moment, I just wanted to cry as loud and for as long as I could, I needed to let it all out.

“Shh, it’s okay. The good Lord is with her, it’s okay,” Aunty my back soothingly as I began to quiet down and my sobbing reduced to little hiccups.

“H- How lo- long?”

“The second week while you were still unconscious,” Kyuhyun answered, giving my hand a comforting squeeze.

“I coul- couldn’t even attend her f- funeral. She was the one who was innocently sa- sacrificed, who am I to c- call myself her best f- friend if I couldn’t even send her off on her l- last journey..”

“It’s not your fault,” Aunty whispered. "If you were in her shoes, you'd do the same for her, wouldn't you?"

After making sure I had calmed down, Kyuhyun pushed me nearer to the altar. Hannah was smiling brightly in that picture next to an urn which probably contained her ashes

What you told me in my dream, it’s true right? You have no regrets dying because of a crappy friend like me? You were innocent, Hannah, you didn’t have to die. It was my fault, everything was my fault. Your parent's tears, your pain, your wasted efforts in trying to become the best ballerina for the past 15 years, it’s all my fault. Are you sure you have no regrets dying because of someone like me?

“We have to go. The hospital only gave me an hour to take you out,” I took one last look at Hannah’s picture and allowed myself to be wheeled away from the altar.. After saying goodbye and apologizing profusely, we left for the hospital. The car ride was painfully silent, Kyuhyun’s lousy driving wasn’t bad enough to bother me or tick me off so I could just shout and get rid of the silence. I think too much when it’s quiet, I needed distractions so I wouldn’t keep thinking about Hannah. Before I knew it, we were back in my ward. Some of the members were gathered there chatting while waiting for me to come back from wherever I went.

“We came as soon as we could when we heard you woke up. Are you okay?” Leeteuk asked, a worried frown on his face.

“I’m okay,” I nodded as Kyuhyun lifted me back onto my bed and pulled the covers over me. “I want to sleep.”

“Then sleep. We’ll still be here when you wake up, I will,” Donghae kissed my hand as I wearily closed my eyes, praying hard it wouldn’t be another nightmare about Hannah or anything related to the events I had to go through recently.


I sure do put poor Hyun Jung through lotsa crap, huh? :p.