five

All I Wanted Was..

"Hey are you busy after school tomorrow?" I reached for a chip out of the chip bag. I flipped it to the side with all the flavoring and placed it in my mouth to settle on my tongue. With a crunch I answered, "No, why?"
"I was gonna go to the basketball game tomorrow. Wanna come?" I ate another chip, this time not caring what side I tasted first. 
"Basketball game? Why do you want to go all of a sudden?" There was a short pause on the other end. 
"It's the last game of the season. I feel bad for never going..."
"And you decide to go now?" I asked skeptically. 
"Well, yeah. It's because their games always started late and I didn't want to go to school when it was already dark out." My friend stated her claim that only made complete sense to me. I never went to any after school events for the same reason. "C'mon, it'll be fun." I got up from the living room couch and strolled to the kitchen to throw away the chip bag. Jaehwa was waiting patiently on the other end of the phone. 

"Sure I'll go." I agreed. 
"Really?" Jaehwa's voice sounded genuinely surprised as if expecting me disagree. "Awesome. I didn't even have to bribe you with Jungkook." I could see her smirk in my head just from her tone of voice. To be honest I had completely forgotten Jungkook was on the team. 

"Haha. Funny. I'll see you tomorrow then. Hyerin wants to use the phone."
"Alrighty. See ya." 




I met Jaehwa the night after. I sat by self waiting in front of one of the big shady trees in front of our school auditorium; it wasn't far from the gym so I hope Jaehwa would come soon so I wouldn't have to sit by myself in the cold. I thanked Jaehwa's mom in my mind when I saw their car drive by me then stop. Jaehwa came out, said something to her mom, then closed the car door to walk over me. She had rectangular kind of board thing in her hand when she met me. I asked her what it was when I didn't have anything like she did. 

"Oh, it's for Yoongi. Let's go in. It's cold." She said. And I didn't need to bother arguing with her about it. When we walked in the gym there was a surprisingly large amount of people in the stands. They were probably here for the same reasons we were. I followed Jaehwa up the stands, trying not to trip in our haste. We were about eight rows up from the floor. The game hadn't started yet and the opposing team was borrowing our home court for some practice free throws and drills before the game started. I tried to look for people I knew but to no avail. I didn't know the majority of the basketball team. Next to me, Jaehwa unrolled her poster and held it in front of her chest modestly. A roar of cheers came from behind a few rows behind me. I looked back onto the court to see if something happened. I spotted Yoongi in his basketball uniform looking right at our row and pretending to shoot an arrow at us. Jaehwa waved her sign in her hands and I saw her smile. I couldn't help but smile too at their distant communication.

"YEAH YOONGI!!" 

The roar of cheers came again from the back. This time both Jaehwa and I turned around to see the rest of the crew cheering. When they noticed us they smiled brightly and waved erratically. Jin smiled nicely and Namjoon punched a fist in the air in excitement. Taehyung motioned for us to come up to the back with them but I declined. Jaehwa just laughed beside me and waved back at them. Next to Taehyung came Hoseok who put Taehyung in a chokehold and waved his home-made foam finger excitedly. It said: "GOLDEN MAKNAE #1." I then realized Jungkook would be playing, too. I turned back to the court and saw that now the opposite team was talking strategy and our team was on the court practicing their free throws. All the players lined up one by one, taking turns to shoot the ball, retrieve it, then chest-pass it to the next person. Yoongi shot the ball, making an audible swish. The people in the stands clapped. He jogged over to the ball then passed it to the next person. The next person caught it with ease and jumped for the shot all in one go. The ball hit the backboard then went straight into the net, making the slightest sound. The crowd boomed in cheers at the success. The player couldn't hide his smile despite his stone cold serious one he held earlier. He jogged to the back of the line, his head down in embarrassment and then stopped with his hands on his hips. I smiled when I watched his every move. None other than Jeon Jungkook can hide his perfection with a humble face. 

The buzzer went off around the gymnasium. Both teams huddled together for one last time. The coach was pointing at different areas on the court and his players all nodded, looking determined. They all nodded one more then put their hands in together for a chant. On the count of three they yelled: "HWAITING!" And the game began. 

It was the last quarter and we were leading but not by much. The other team was five points behind with ten seconds on the clock. They had ten seconds to make a plan. Ten seconds to make three shots; and ten seconds to beat us. The cheerleaders on the floor faced us and tried to get us to cheer along with them and rile everyone up. Sadly for them, no one did. Everyone was either talking amongst themselves about the game so far or staring at the court anxiously. 

"Do you think they can still beat them?" I asked Jaehwa beside me. 
"Of course they can." She answered without the slightest hesitation. If I didn't know about her confidence I'd be shocked. "Yoongi-ah!" She yelled and waved her sign again but this time a little above her head. I laughed at how cute she was and looked for her boyfriend's reaction. He looked up at the stands a bit startled by the call. When he realized it was Jaehwa he broke into the biggest smile, making his eyes disappear and he waved at us. 

"Guys," Hoseok tapped both Jaehwa and me on the shoulders. "We should get everyone to chant 'MIN YOONGI' and 'JEON JUNGKOOK.'" He suggested. 
"What about the other players? Won't they feel left out?" I asked honestly. Even though the only basketball players I knew on the team were Yoongi and Jungkook, I felt kind of bad to leave the others out. 
"Yoongi is the captain and the shooting guard. He's the team's best player. Jungkook is the youngest varsity member ever to be on the team and can play any position well. They're kind of the stars and everyone knows it." Hoseok explained. My lips scrunched up in a slight confusion. I had no idea what he was talking about but decided not to ask about it. It was apparent Yoongi was the best player on the team and obviously the most popular. No doubt Jungkook was good. The crowd seemed to acknowledge his skills as well.

"This will be exciting." I commented to no one in particular. 
"You know what else would be exciting?" A voice came behind my ear. I nearly jumped in fright by the sudden appearance and turned to the voice. "Ha." The voice laughed.
"What the hell is wrong with you? You're like a creeper talking into people's ears." I sneered. Jimin pointed his face down to show his devil eyes (he really did look like a creeper that time) then brought his head back up, pointing his eyes down at me. 
"Watch what you say girly. I can spill your secret at any given moment. Wouldn't that be exciting?" 
"No. Why should I care what you do? You're all talk anyways." When I said it I sounded solid and strong, like I actually believed what I was challenging. But in reality, in the pit of my stomach was a lump. I was terrified. I know better than anyone that Jimin is ruthless enough to do just as he says. He can be all talk sometimes, but he can also own up. That was what I was afraid of. The fact I was testing that side of him made me fear for my sanity. Jimin chuckled and smirked mischievously. This only made my breath catch in my throat. 

"We'll just have to test that then won't we?"

The buzzer went off again and the break was over. I pretended to ignore Jimin's comment and turned my attention back to the game. The cheerleaders turned their attention back to the team and the crowd stopped what they were doing and glued their eyes on the game. It was some guy from the other team and a guy with the jersey number 7 and in big letters "XIAO" on the back playing for ours. The referee looked at the two boys then threw the ball up in the air. Our guy Xiao leaped and slapped the ball over to our side, getting the crowd to clap and cheer. Seven seconds left. The ball was stolen from us and we were now chasing down the court for it back. Five seconds. We had it back. The crowd was up on their feet yelling, completely immersed and anxious. Even Jaehwa and I were up. Jaehwa yelled with the crowd while I stared hard at the court at every pass, shift in movement, and tick of the clock. My hands were balled up in fists from the nervousness. Three seconds. Yoongi had the ball and was cornered. I bit the inside of my lip and covered my mouth with my hands. Yoongi motioned for the shot making the blockers reach up. When he released the ball, it didn't move toward the basket, but up then over to the left. One second. The ball was caught then shot into the basket right when the buzzer went off. 

A thunderous echo bounced off the walls. The final score was 45-37. The crowd in the stands jumped with joy; the stands were shaking and no one cared. We just won the last game of the year! Hugs of congratulations went all around. I hugged Jaehwa. Up in the stands Hoseok was squeezing Taehyung like he was a giant teddy bear, swaying him left and right. Namjoon and Jin were waving their hands around like those noodle guys in front of car dealer ships. And stupid Park Jimin was....not in his seat. I looked around feverishly. Where the hell is he?

I looked down at the court and our team players were cheering and huddled up around the coach in a group hug. My eyes trailed toward the steps. My eyes widened when Jimin turned around and his eyes met mine. He shot me a quick wink then started jogging back down the stairs. Without a second thought I bolted after him. 

"Hyemi!" I heard Jaehwa call after me but I left her. All I could think about was getting to Jungkook before Jimin did. I pushed through people as they tried to leave or head down to the court themselves. I was already on the court surrounded by a bunch of people who I didn't know. 

Where is Park Jimin?! 

I squeezed through supporters and parents who met with their children. When I broke through the crowd I saw the basketball players conversing and high-fiving. I saw Yoongi with his parents. I hissed under my breath. Why are there so many people? 

On the other side of the court were benches and some other players from our team taking a drink. In the distance I saw someone with a head of black hair with a hat and a black jacket on walking to one of the basketball players with a towel on their head. I ran toward the person, pushing through everyone. The hatted guy heard my steps and turned. He laughed and started running himself. No! I thought. He was so fast. 

"Park Jimin!" I yelled loud enough to blend with the chatter of the gymnasium. He just kept running. I used every little bit of energy I had to try and catch up. My feet were hurting in my sneakers. Jimin slowed in front of Jungkook without a sweat and even had time to give him a hug to congratulate him. That was the longest I'd give Jimin to talk to him. 

I sprinted my last steps to reach them. I about to run right into Jimin and tackle him when I breathed: 

"Park Jimin!" 

But then he stepped to the side at the last second. My eyes widened when I realized I was gonna run into the bench myself. I slowed my pace but not quickly enough; I was leaning forward just about to fall over until suddenly a pair of hands caught me at my elbows. I let out a breath of relief, almost sounding like a laugh. I heard Jimin bellowing in laughter behind me. I looked up and saw Jungkook, sweaty and tired, the tips of his bangs wet from sweat, a towel on his head, and a huge smile on his face too when he laughed. I quickly composed myself and stood up. I tried to push away the fact that I practically fell into Jungkook's arms and made a fool out myself. Instead I turned my heel and faced Park Jimin with the utmost annoyance. He stared back at me and smiled with a tilt of his head, shrugging his shoulders. I stepped out toward him about to hit him. A hand caught my wrist in the air and I turned around. 

"Haha. C'mon Hyemi. It was an accident right?" Jungkook kept his grip on me lightly. 
"Yeah. Why were you running anyway Hyemi-sshi? Came to congratulate our Jungkookie for making the final shot?" Jimin played again with his innocent smile. I had to fight the urge to hiss at him. 
"Thanks hyung. I didn't know you were gonna come Hyemi. I didn't think you were into sports." By this time Jungkook had already let go of me and the three of us were trying to have a docile conversation. (As much as I wanted to tackle Jimin to the ground at the moment.) 

"Uh, Jaehwa said it was the last game so I decided to tag along with her." I said. Jungkook's lips curled up in a small smile and he nodded. "But you were really good! I didn't know you were as good as Yoongi." Jungkook broke into a bashful laugh and pointed his eyes to the ground. 
"I wouldn't say I'm as good as Yoongi hyung. But I'm trying. Thanks Hyemi." He said while rubbing the back of his neck. I was squealing internally at how cute he was being despite my nonchalant act. Even though I heard myself sound like a stuttering idiot. 

"Team Bangtan! Meet in the middle of the court for a group picture!" A loud voice called around the gym. Jungkook nodded to no one and swiped the towel off his head. His hair was crinkled and damp. 
"I'll see you guys later." Jungkook said to Jimin and patted his shoulder when he passed him. "I'll talk to you later Hyemi. Thanks for supporting us!" He said to me before jogging over to where the rest of the players and their coach met up. I waved to his back as he went away. 

"Got lucky there huh Hyemi-sshi?" Jimin asked me with that annoyingly high voice of his. 
"So did you. I was about to tackle you to the ground." Jimin laughed.
"That's funny. I recalled you almost fell flat on your face." He laughed to the sky. Jimin then faced me with one eyebrow cocked, his aura emanating complete arrogance. "Like I said, watch what you say. And don't test me. From what I can see, you know how much you have to lose by testing me." With that, Jimin strode away with his hands in his pockets to meet with Taehyung and Hoseok. 

If there was anything that annoyed me about Park Jimin more than his blatant narcissism, it was that he was right about me.

 

 

 

 

 


THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I gained so many subcribers since I last updated; I'm so happy!

When I found out I tried to finish this chapter as wuickly as possibly to repay you all :D

Hope you liked it :) Feel free to leave a comment for me yeah?