nine

All I Wanted Was..

Heart still pounding against my ribs, I tried to keep up with Jimin, who walked faster and faster the more I narrowed our distance. For some reason I felt like he was doing it on purpose, like he was messing around with me. By this time I couldn't tell if my heart rate was picking up because of the hurrying or that other weird reason I can't pin point. Again, I was on Jimin's heel as we passed the weight room, only a little ways away from...definitely not the office. I double checked where we've gone and slowed down. But Jimin just kept going. 

"Jimin, we're going the wrong way. The office was at that last turn. Hey, hey! Are you listening?" I had to yell as he kept going without slowing down. I jogged up to him and grabbed his shoulder. "I said-" Jimin ripped my hand off his shoulder. I mean he did; he yanked my hand off the moment it came in contact with his shoulder. His readjusted his grip on my hand and was now holding me by the wrist. 

"And I said, to shut up and move faster. We're almost there." He said and pulled me alongside him. 
"Almost where?" I asked but Jimin didn't answer. 
"Out of all the places. Seriously..." He said to himself. I tried again. 
"Jimin, where are we going?" Jimin made a sharp turn to the left and barged through a door I had no idea existed before. 
"Here." He said, releasing me and practically throwing me into the mysterious room. 

The room was undeniably dirty. The only light shown through the room came from the windows and revealed all the flying dust particles in the room. I covered the end of my nose to prevent from inhaling it and waved my hand around. The room looked like an old classroom, definitely one of the ones that failed to be remodeled over the past few years; the board was a chalk board and desks and chairs were stacked against it. 

Jimin brushed passed me, hitting my shoulder, then continued on his way. I opened my mouth to say something until I saw someone move out of another door into the room. Jungkook strolled in casually looking like he was lost. Behind him were the rest of his friends - Namjoon, Jin, Taehyung, and Yoongi, all with the same expression. They looked like a row of lost ducklings following each others' behinds. They didn't say anything distinguishable. They all walked by me and went to greet Jimin like old colleagues. Except for Jungkook. He spared a handshake with Jimin then looked over at me with a smile. I didn't know how to describe it; it was both shy but casual at the same time. Jungkook walked up to me with one hands in his pocket and the other following freely behind him. He jumped in front of me like he just landed from the sky. 

Neither of us spoke, we just looked at a each for a while. I had a strange feeling in my chest: that longing I had yesterday to see Jungkook and his smiling face again. Now here he was standing before me, silent, not a hint of expression. His smile had gone and he had lost any words. Slowly he reached into his jacket, pulling something out. He brought his other hand up to his mouth and...giggled. (Cutest thing ever I swear I almost died on the spot right there.) I contained the butterflies that flew in me when I heard the sound. Jungkook's hand moved away from his mouth and he put on his calm composure when he pulled the item out. He took out a flower. A red rose that had just bloomed in his jacket. The petals looked silky smooth as they expanded freely after being held in for so long. I looked from the flower to Jungkook who had the brightest smile in the world. The smile that always got my heart fluttering to the heavens, the smile that made every day brighter, the smile that made me fall for him before the day we even met. My heart hitched in my throat at his next words. 

"Um, I've never done this before but I'll try my best." He said in a low tone. 

"Hyemi, will you be my girlfriend?" Jungkook said it loud enough for everyone to hear. I felt it in my throat, the inability to speak. I had never been struck by this kind of shock. Heck, I'd never been confessed to! Especially not by my crush! When he noticed I was struggling for any kind of response, Jungkook took my hand, unraveled my fingers that were tightly wound together and put in between them the rose he held. And he asked again, "Will you?" Wow, I couldn't say anything at all. All that came out of my mouth were tiny gasps, like words were itching to pour out but wouldn't. Jungkook laughed again and so did his friends. I think I heard someone in the background whisper, "say yes." My eyes moved over there and I saw Taehyung giving a secret thumbs up. Yoongi looked like he was about to burst into laughter at any moment. And Namjoon and Jin nudged each other as they held a side conversation most likely about how I haven't said anything yet. Regrettably, my eyes caught Jimin's. He looked right at me with unreadable eyes. None of us broke the eye contact until I saw him smirk. His eyebrow cocked up as he did it, making him look.....

"Hyemi?" Jungkook's voice brought me back. I shook my head and looked down at the flower. "No?" I shook my head and looked back up at him when he mistook my action. 
"No no. I mean, no, I'm not saying no. But...I don't know." Jungkook tilted his head in confusion, his smile exuding a slow sadness instead of happiness. 

"Jungkook I mean, can I...can I give you an answer later?" I said quietly. On cue the bell rang. The boys looked up at the sound like it was foreign. Jungkook's eyes traced back down to mine and he smiled.
"Guess I have no choice now huh? Sure, you can give me an answer later." The other boys walked out the room first, then Jungkook followed last. Before he left I called out to him. 

"Wait Jungkook," I held the flower out to him with my gaze at his feet. I was highly embarrassed. He chuckled. 
"Keep it. You haven't rejected me yet." He said then fled out the door to his next class. 

I stood with the flower in my hand, spinning it by the stem and sighed.

What am I gonna do now?